Heart Rhythm Community
SVT ATTACKS

This patient support community is for discussions relating to heart rhythm issues, arrhythmia, irregular heartbeat, implanted defibrillators, pacemakers, and tachycardia.

SVT ATTACKS

hay guys my name is ricky i have had SVT since i woes 17 i am now 20 and haven't rely been  abiel to control the attacks i have at least 3 to 5 a day i am seeing a cardiologist at the moment to see about some meds i woes on minax 50 mg but i stopped taking them as they made me feel rely sick but i just wont to no how long have some ppl lived wit this with out any meds and stuff like that and also if someone can tell me some tricks to stop an attack    
Tags: svt, attack
The best way to capture what is going on is to get a heart monitor from your doctor.  A 24 hour one called a holter is good if you have symptoms daily.  If they don't happen every day but you know you will get one within a month then a 30 day event recorder should work.  If you have fewer episodes then that then it may be more difficult to capture.  But based on what you have said it sounds like a simple one day monitor would do.  This would give the doctor and idea what your heart is doing before during and after an episode.  It sounds a bit like you have some sort of sinus tachycardia but having it captured is the only way to know for sure.  The main issue though is sinus tachycardia is a bit hard to treat.  If you can find an underlying cause, sometimes outside the heart, it may help clear up the tachycardia.  I would say go to your regular doctor and tell them you are having trouble with some tachycardia and ask for a work up of your blood paying special attention to your thyroid levels.  Imbalances in your thyroid levels can cause rapid heart beat.  If that comes back fine then you may want to ask your doctor to try a tilt table test.  This would help determine if a blood pressure regulation issue is causing the problem. Check out the condition Dysautonomia to see if you have other symptoms that may indicate you have that condition.  One other thing you might want to evaluate is your diet.  Do you consume large amounts of caffeine or sugary foods.  Those can trigger heart issues as well as acid reflux.  So unless you have an actual physical problem with the heart that can be corrected more than likely you have something going on outside the heart that needs to be addressed to get the tachycardia under control.  If nothing can be found then you may simply need to be on meds to help control your heart from beating too fast.  In general it isn't a danger to you so only as you work to keep it under control.  So go and do some investigating and hopefully you can find the root cause and have a game plan to manage or correct the issue.  Take care.
How fast is your beat getting?  Is it in the 100s or going over into the 200s?  Does it start and stop suddenly?  Do you notice it happen at any particular time, like after eating?  There are different types of svt.  Some are more easily treatable then others.  Some can be corrected with what is called an ablation and others can only be managed by meds.   I think it important to know what type of svt you are having.  If it is one caused by an accessory pathway you may want to consider an ablation to correct this issue once and for all.  If however you are experiencing some form of sinus tachycardia you may want to investigate other possible issues that may be causing the tachycardia.  Thyroid imbalances can be a contributor as well as stomach issues can irritate the vagus nerve sending signals to the heart to cause it to act up.  If you are in the middle of an episode you can try some vasovagal maneuvers to see if it will help to get the episode to stop.  Hold your breath and bear down like you are going to the bathroom.  There are a few others that you can research to see if one will work for you.  But most importantly you will want to first figure out what exactly you are dealing with and find a possible cause that can be corrected to get them to stop.  Best of luck and keep us posted on how you are doing.
resting my heart rate is any where from 90 to 110 when i have an attack it goes up to 160-180 dont think its got up to the 200 mark as yet and how wold i find out what kind of svt i have i never new that there woes dif types of it so what test wold i have to get
thank you that woes helpful i have had an ECG a hart echo and and a 24 hr heart monitor and wit all them test done all my dock told me that i have svt so im in a bit of a loop at the moment if you no what i mean but i think some of the problem is that i might be having some Anxiety Attacks/panic attacks so i think i might get that looked at to but THANK YOU FOR TACKING TIME OUT TO HELP