SVT Ablation worth it?
I have a scheduled ablation this Friday. I was diagnosed with SVT and I didn't even know I had it. I get a lot of palpitations and I am currently on 25mg of beta blocker x2 a day. I want to know if the ablation is worth it. Will it get rid of my palpitations? The alternative is to go on 50mg x2 a day. I don't know if I want to be on that much beta blocker at such a young age (23). I think I had an SVT once and that was a year ago playing basketball, I came down from a shot and landed hard and my heart started beating fast and weird and I couldn't control it. The symptom went away in about 10 seconds. What does everyone think?
Interesting. "non-invasive" Are you saying that calcium channel blockers can be invasive?

My PVCS are more frequent when I'm nervous. One weird and strange cause of them which I can't get an answer or explanation from my Dr, is that when I take a deep inhale, it triggers many of my palpitations. It is very strange, I would say that 50% of my palpitations are triggered when I am inhaling(Deep).
Just a  thought - deep inhalations tend to reduce heart rate, reduced heart rate can lead to more PVC's....  I guess I wasn't clear....I will take drugs before surgery.  As I mention in an earlier post ablation is irreversible while drug therapy I can experiment with. My 2 cents.
Oh gotcha! Well, am I crazy to think that lungs causing pressure on the heart can cause palpitations? Just a thought.

That was another thought I had. I was going to suggest not taking real deep breaths but figured that was much too obvious.  Triggered by nervousness is probably anxiety related and adrenaline release.  No matter what we do they just seem to be there.
Alright I think I am almost done with my questions. One last question though. I was prescribed the calcium channel blocker, should I wait to take it and try and see if I get an SVT? Or should I just start taking it and see what happens?

Reason being is that If I can eliminate a problem with my heart at an early age that would help me live a better life. If I go with out any medication and see how my heart does, maybe I could catch an SVT and get it fixed.
Like many meds I think it takes one to two weeks for a CCB to build up in the system to effectively block the heart receptors.  Are you anticipating problems taking a CCB?  Best to ask doctor or pharmacist. I am not sure I remember the details - do you have episodic benign PVC's with a rare SVT?  benign PVC's aren't usually treated with ablation. metoprolol for BP control?  why the CCB? I agree that no meds is the best option, however once again from my perspective a small dose of BB and CCB to keep BP and pulse rate on the low side would be my choice vs ablation for an rare episode of SVT.  Good Luck moving forward.
Thank you curmedgen for helping me,

I am not familiar with the classification of episodic benign PVC's, are there different forms of PVC's?

I do know that I have PVC's from the doctors telling me. I have been on BB for a while and I recently went off of it for my scheduled ablation. I currently am still off of it because I haven't seen a difference in my palpitations being off of BB. I do think I may have a rare SVT that happens maybe once a year.

My NP said to try CCB as an alternative to BB since we decided the BB had no effect on my palpitations.

One side note: When I started BB it seemed to work. Throughout the year I did start Anxiety meds, 10mg of Citalaphram and recently been boosted up to 20mg. Maybe the anxiety meds are helping the palpitations.
Episodic meaning that they come and go - I can have no symptoms for days and the out of the blue I get episodes of PVC's that last for minutes or hours,  then they disappear -reappearing whenever they feel like it.  Benign meaning no coronary heart disease.   BB do not treat PVC's and if your heart rates gets too low that can encourage PVC's, once again a no win situation.  After I was evaluated by a cardiologist both he and my PCP agreed that    an ablation for benign PVC's was unnecessary unless they become debilitating.  Risk out weighed benefit.  
Is the risk to ablate PVCs greater than SVTs? and can ablation actually be done to eliminate PVCs? Also I have the same situation as you. Some days are amazing and others are horrible. I have a normal healthy heart.
Barry,
Wow, you've gotten a lot of interest in your post!  All pretty good information.  
I'm a 45 yr. old active woman and I started having SVT episodes about 2.5-3 years ago ONLY when excercising strenuously (boot camp). It seemed to flare up when running hard or doing long jump type things..with hard landings. Up until then, I did not notice anything except some palpitations which of course, freaked me out. I've always been very active.  not to say this will happen to you, but the episodes are happening more and more often, with moderate activity, which ***** and has had a really negative impact on my life.  SO, I've decided to have an ablation on June 27th.  I think it's a great idea to meet with your EP again just to make sure it is SVT, or maybe another EP for a 2nd opinion?  I did, and it just concreted my decision for the procedure. Not to say I'm not scared to death,  but I'm hopeful to be like Tom and Jannie and GET MY ACTIVE MY LIFE BACK!!  Let us know what you decide and I'll post something after my ablation next month!  Best of luck to all!
SVT's are not something I've done much research on...wikipedia has a good bit of basic info - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supraventricular_tachycardia ..from a quick scan of article seems that not all SVT's are the same so that's something to discuss with your doctor.  As mentioned before ablation has its risks, the biggest one being it's irreversible  - something about destroying my heart cells really bothers me and I would only consider it as a last resort.  From all the information available random episodes of benign arrhythmia especially PVC's will not kill us.  At least let's hope not.  take care.
Your decision to have an ablation based on the quality of your life and 2 opinions is the point at which I would begin to seriously consider one as well.   Stay positive.
Yes, you can see my post above.  I'm about the same age and SVT occurred when exercising. I was running the other day and was thinking about how thankful I am that's past me.
".......Is the risk to ablate PVCs greater than SVTs? and can ablation actually be done to eliminate PVCs?..."

I don't believe the risks associated with the procedure are any greater than the procedure for the AVRT or AVNRT.  The question should be, what is the success rate for PVC ablation therapy?  The answer is the success rate is lower and the return rate is higher than with the two tachycardias types that I mentioned.  It's probably no higher than 80-85%.  That said, is it worth a try to improve your quality of life.  Failure only means that you're left with the problem.  It doesn't meant that you're left with a damaged heart.

I've said this before on many other posts, and I'll say it again.  Regarding SVT, and this is a direct quote from my cardiologist, along with my Electrophysiologist, a noted expert and professor in this field.  They said, and if I could bold it and make the font larger, I would:

"The exploration of different types of drug therapy. and the discovering wihich dose level works best, carries a greater risk, with more side effects than ablation therapy".

I was never told my exact diagnosis - they just said 'an arrythmia' and the ep showed me my graph with a sudden crazy heartbeat (middle of the night).

I have almost constant palps and flutters and it's those I notice far more than then svt's now, i concur about being able to see the heart beat under my ribs! If they go on all day I get very tired and faint, it saps all my energy.

I haven't found any particular trigger yet, i have coffee every morning and it never happens then, if i eat a large meal it happens but i generally eat very healthily and msg isn't in anything I eat so I have no idea if that affects it.

In this situation I feel I have nothing to lose having an ablation, I'm 31 and want to have kids fairly soon, I get the feeling a pregnancy would make my symptoms worse and I don't want to be unable to cope with a newborn...

I'm hoping against hope for a rebirth!!

The Daily Mail are also doing a piece on my ablation, so hopefully I can increase awareness about SVT's and related conditions :)

In review of my medical records today, I decided to do some research and came across your posting. I hope your procedure went well! Hopefully, all your questions were answered.

I had the ablation procedure for SVT in 2006 when I was 21 years old. I'm so happy that I had the procedure done instead of staying on Toprol. I have yet to encounter long episodes. My heart rate does raise quickly when I work out, but it's manageable with a polar heart monitor. 3 years after my surgery, I had chest pain, but everything checked out to be okay through LifeWatch. My friend has similar issues. I found it to be helpful to see a counselor to help me manage my families and my own anxiety associated health issues.

If you have any questions, I'm happy to help.
How did your ablation procedure go? I am scheduled this month and of course have a lot apprehension but am so tired of not being able to do strenuous exercise or any other activity that gets my heart pumping. I hope it went well!
You say, "something about destroying my heart cells", and when I went to my EP doc this was never mentioned in fact he said for my type of SVT it will not damage the heart. I am already nervous but now more so. I assume you have not had the procedure done, right? I've just heard that for A-fib there are greater risks and the success rate is not very high but that for SVT it is up to 95% which to me is worth it to be rid of the episodes. I have to believe in my doctor and that I've contimplated this for several years and really want to at least try it.  Sometimes we just have to have faith that it is the right thing for each individual I guess and know it isn't the right thing for everyone.
Unfortunately some of these prople are no longer active, so you may or may not get an answer.

Make no mistake, the RF or cryo ablation procedure destroys living heart tissue; absolutely it does!  It's burnt and gone and it's permanent.  But it's tissue that you don't want.  What you need is faith in the EP that he can distinguish which tissue needs to be destroyed.  That's the risk.....  Some folks will live out their lives dealing with the day to day disruptions that their particular condition creates, fearing the possibility of what could go wrong. Others, like myself felt that we had dealt with enough and decided to something about it. I was willing to take the risk and trusted my electrophysiologist quite literally with my life.

The success rate for A-fib isn't as high as it is for SVT.  But if it's even 70% (I believe it's much higher), is it worth the risk?  What are the alternatives if it fails?  Does it "failure" just mean leaving you with A-fib, or with something potentially worse that what you when in with?

I can't find fault in those who steer clear of the procedure.  I wonder though if their decision is based on their own perception of the risk involved when in actuallity it may be routine to the electrophysiologist.
Hi Tom,

Thank you for responding to me. I am scheduled for 12/29 and still have my days of doubt and being nervous but I heard the confidence in my doctors voice and truly feel he can fix this. I just need to stop reading all the stuff online and believe in my decision and that it is the best one for me.  I am tired of worrying about not have a good workout or having a cup of coffee or having a glass of wine or a beer.  I feel as I've gotten older it has been controlling my life more and I want to start the new year as a new person with a normal heart rhythm. My doctor does over 100 of these annually and has been doing them for over 18 years so I feel good about his ability assuming my SVT will go into an episode while I am in the EP study.

Thank you again for your response and I will post once my procedure is completed and successful!!
Good luck, and please do get back to us with your experience.  You'll do fine!
Dear tom ,

I've suspected of having SVT on 2 stress test and i also had slow n iregular heartbearts n slow n sometimes its iregular n slow to below 50beats/min and my cardiac says maybe i had electro imbalance n my SVT attacks after i exercise like play badminton or going to gym on atreadmil half way of recovery my pulse will shooot up but the original heartbeat i felt its about 120 - 130 but my pulse was at about 190 - 200 its strange that i dun feeel exhausted or faint or dizzy just feeel it beats fast its just the reading makes me uncomfortable stay at 200/min n after lie down for 15 to 20 minutes it will go down to 109 n back to 80-90 Is it advisable to do the RFA

But i now had iregular heartbeat n slow besides exercise n sometimes normal so quite confuse whether to do this RFA procedure or worth a try
Hoope to get some advise n respond
I couldn't  advise you one way or the other regarding an EP study.  The symptoms of SVT are unmistakeable though.  It starts and stops instantly.  Ther is no ramping up and down of your heart rate.  If you are exercising, your heart rate may be naturally elevated when you go into SVT, and be so when you drop out of it.  But the feeling in your chest is unmistakeable.
I am with Tom.   You would likely know you were having an svt episode. It feels totally different than exercise induced fast heart rates.  They start and stop suddenly which it sounds like your heart eases down from the high rate.  You would also likely feel dizzy and light headed if you were in svt.  Since you don't it is likely something else.  That said, the fact that your stress test noticed irregular beats and slow beats you may want to get an EKG and echocardiogram done to check the health of your heart in general.  If you are very active the slow heart rate may not be anything to worry about as well the irregular beats may mean nothing of consequence as well but it is always good to get your symptoms checked out to ensure your heart is structurally normal and healthy.  Take care and keep us posted on how you are doing.
Thks Michelle n Toms for some guidance on this SVT , As for my case ths SVT will attacks when i exercise n i got prolonged QT Undertermined Rhythms Righward Axis , Incomplete Right Bandle Branch Block
Abnormal ECG

My Stress Test results outcome very bad commend from my dr.

Vent Rate           97 bpm          Undertermined Rhythm
PR Intervals       158ms            Rightward Axis
QRS duration     110ms            Incomplete right bundle branch block
QT/QTc              392/497        Incomplete right bundle branch block
P-R-T axes        78/101/37      Prolonged QT
P duration          104ms           Abnormal ECG
RR interval         824ms

This 2 weeks i had very rare fluactuates heartbeat iregular n my blood pressure reading also sort of funny ups n down sometimes 125/80 sometimes when my heart rate below 50 it when down to 102/59 very low
n i got skip beat slow beat n 6th beat i very hard .
its like 1 2 3 4 5 and 6th for 2 seconds then 7th beat then the 11th will get slow and sometimes 2 beats in 1 time very strange heart rhytms

I went to a few hospital in my coountry n did 2 stress test ECG CT SCAN
CARDIAC enzymes ECHO TEst Ultra Sound

The ultrasound my hear muscle thickening a bit
CT SCAN quite normal
ECho test shows my heart when beat fast is faster then normal people
when it gets slow its so slow my cardiologist also said its my electro problem thts why she refer me to a Electro Physiologist

http://www.malaysiahealthcare.com/03022009.htm

this is the link that doctor wanna perform on me i hope u guys go n read is it the procedure u guys were doing anyway my RFA its on 8th Jan so still got 9 days to go i need some real advise whether i do the right decision Thank You very much

Have a nice day....
Boy I am really not qualified to comment on your test results.  They do however, in my limited knowledge on the heart, seem to me as though you may have some heart disease or have had a heart attack at some point.  But again I am not qualified so I am not sure if your results are mild or severe.  The fact that you don't present with dizziness or fainting makes me wonder how severe your case is?  

The link you sent appears to be in reference to an ablation for afib.  If you had a heart attack you could very likely have developed afib and the bundle branch blocks noted in your tests.  The Long QT is the most concerning bit.  It is generally an inherited disease but can be induced from medications.  Medications that can lengthen the Q-T interval and upset heart rhythm include certain antibiotics, antidepressants, antihistamines, diuretics, heart medications, cholesterol-lowering drugs, diabetes medications, as well as some antifungal and antipsychotic drugs. Are you on any of these medications and have you been on them for a while?   If you are you may want to try and eliminate them and see if it corrects the long QT problem.  

That said, long QT is not something to mess with so it needs to be taken seriously.  I can't tell you whether you should or shouldn't do the ablation.  It is a serious procedure, especially if they will be ablating your ventricles.  The success rates for that type of ablation are inconclusive, meaning it is likely hit or miss whether it is going to work.  And they can actually create other problems that you didn't have before.  So I would first find out what they are ablating, your atria for afib or your ventricles for long QT?  Since you don't have severe symptoms is it possible there are some medications you are taking that could be causing your problems because I would definitely try to eliminate them before going to the extreme of having a ventricle ablation.  Do the doctors think that your condition will get worse over time?  Have you had a second opinion done on recommendation for the ablation?  Have you talked to your doctor about the pros and cons of this procedure?   But if all avenues have been exhausted and your prognosis for long term health is in jeopardy I personally might consider the ablation but you really have to go by what your instincts are telling you.   I do wish you luck in whatever you choose to do.  Please do keep us posted on how you are.

Just a comment - you have an RBBB which in itself is a conduction problem usually of no consequence.  Has any determination been made as to the origin of your arrhythmia?  unifocal PVC's are the best to have since they originate from one place in the heart and can be ablated reasonably well.  What was your calcium score (CT scan) - determines level of hard plaque in heart... did you have CT angiogram to check flow through heart vessels?  I would do all these tests first before an ablation...  ablations are permenant.  good luck.

Hi Tom!

Well I am on the other side of my EP study and it turns out it was an atrial SVT.  I was pretty groggy when my doc talked to me but have lots of questions for him when I talk to him.  He said it was NOT a-fib and once he cauterized the area that was acting up he couldn't get it to do it again so he is pretty confident he got it. So I have to say I am very happy with my outcome.  Like you have said it may not be the solution for everyone but so far I am happy with my results.  Of course, I had it done on 12/29 and it has only been 2 days but aside from a little pain on the site they inserted the catheter I feel great today!

Thank you for your encouragement and for sharing your story.  I appreciate it! I will check in from time to time to let you know of my progress!

Happy New Year! I look forward to a much more active 2012!!
Great!  Glad the procedure went well, and that you're on the road to recovery!  The insertion area will be tender for a week or so, and it isn't uncommon to walk with a little limp for a couple of weeks.  Using it though is the best medicine.  Good luck, and keep us aprised of your condition.  And don't be afraid to be a spokesperson for one of the many success stories.  A lot of people show up here looking for advice when an EP procedure fails, and it really appears to reduce the actual success rate.  Here's to an active 2012!
Dear Michelle n Curmudgen ,
  Thanks for the comment i've had my CT SCAN done calcium

The reports says as below  : -

C.T. Coronary Angiogram :

The total calcium score is 0 , which places the patient between 0th and 25th percentile for his age group. Right dominant circulation noted .

Right Coronary Artery :

The originin of the right coronary artery is in normal postioin. No mural plaques are seen in all the segments nor branches of the right coronary artery .

Left Coronary Artery :
The origin of the left coronary artery is in normal position . There is no mural plaque at its ostium nor main stem.

Left Anterior Sescending Artery :

There is no evidence of atherosclerotic disease in the left anterior descending artery nor the diagonal branches . Myocardial bridging of the distal segment is noted .

Ramus Intermedius :

There is no mural plaque in the ramus intermedius .

Left Circumflex artery :

No mural plaques are seen in the left circumflex artery nor the obtuse marginal branches .

Impresssion :

Normal examination .

NB : 1 . This test does not predict the probability of plaque rupture resulting in mycordial infarction .

2. The presence of calcifications may preclude accurate assessment of arterial lumen .

This is the CT SCAN report

ANyway i really have very irregular n slow heartbeat that sometimes make me feels so odds n confusion i got a friedn who did this RFA he says after doing heart rhythm is normal back n no more shock circuit of the heart he advise me to do n not much pain n worth it this RFA procedure can permanently cure alll types os fast or slow heartbeat n iregular .

I just wanna back with my active life n can exercise normally without any SVT attacks. Anyway i am so glad this forum i get advise n guidance from all of u .... Happy New Year do advise me maybe the United States the Heart Surgeon or Knowledge is More advance .. so i need some guide .

Happy 2012 do keep in touch ..
Well now i had discomfort chest feeling very weird n odds especially when its slow n iregular  ( Bradycardia ) and when i exercise its SVT my cardiologist told  me mine case where quite strange thats why they ask me to go for RFA n they diangose my case as more to Electric shock curciut kind of stuff ...... and i did 2  stress test n the both test also show when recovery thats SVT and when i exercise especially after playing badminton it will suddenly pop  up hte pulse to 200/min and my neck especially its like frog neck popping sometimes scary so i lie down for 15 to 20 minutes is slowly cool down and i would have lots of stomach discomfort n lots of burping n sometimes the wind like stuck in your throat that part is scary thats why i am really hope there is a cure hope the EPS + RFA can cure it permanently or at least give me a 80 - 90 % back to normal recovery .

Michelle i am on Co-Approval 300mg/ 12.5
1/2 tablet daily for my slight hypertension
And simvastatin 20mg for my cholesterol  ( 1 tablet )
My LDL and overal cholesterol quite high
LDL > 4.5
total Choles  > 6.8

Mind both doctors  says my electrical system of the heart is quite abnormal
and they put me on ISOPTIN RETARD 240mg ( 1/2 Tablet 120mg )
daily but my blood pressure n heartbeat seems lower a lot thats why they ask to stop and try this RFA procedure to cure this Electro Imbalance things . ANyway i still have 8 days to get some ideas n comment before my 8th JAn RFA ..... A bit nervous as Michelle u told me its permanent and dunno any other odd things will happen or positive side i will be cured n fully recovered taking some risk just also desperately need some opinion but i know my ECG is bad results CT SCAN NORMAL : -
Sl ight thickening of the heart muscle ( ULTRA SOUND )

Echo Test : - Very strange fast n slow heart pumping
Do you know there is a doctors section on this site.   If you go to the top where it says forums choose Doctors Forums and the heart rhythm section there.  I am not certain how often questions get answered but that would be your best bet for more professional advice.  Good luck with whatever you decide to do and keep us posted on how you are.
Hi Tom,

I am happy to share my story with anyone who asks.  If anyone is in Austin, TX I am happy to share my EP docs name as he was wonderful as was the staff.  Thank you again and Happy New Year!!
Hi there-
I am in the same boat as you are. I had an unsuccessfull ablation done 3 years ago and have had 3 SVT attacks since, which are now very scarey. They were not full blown attacks as before the ablation, but scarey because I also get panic attacks right after for fear of dying. I just saw my heart doctor and he said he wanted to do another ablation, this time using the burning technique rather that the freezing technique. When the tried to freeze the "bad cells" during my first ablation, he said my heart was too small to attempt the area where the bad cells were. I'm so sick of worrying when or if the next attack will happen. Very Scarey. It is nice to know I am not the only one for sure.
I had a laser ablation done in 2000 and during the procedure I had an episode of atrial fribrillation.  It did not take care of my SVT and today I am experiencing high blood pressure with the SVT ... I am currently on Lopressor 100 mg and 25 mg spironolactone. I still get heachaches,chills and fullness in my head along with right side numbness. I also am taking other meds for pain management for back injury at work. On the light side boy I wish I had a new body.
Did you have the ablation?  I am 31 yr old female and I just found out yesterday I have SVT:(. I'm a mother of 2 young children and I'm already tired so the thought of a BB causing more exhaustion is more than in appealing.  I'm going to the dr tomorrow to discuss my options.  I just can't bare the thought of being on something FOREVER!!!  I'd love to hear about your experience and how you are doing ow after ablation.
Two years ago, I had a successful ablation for near lifelong, unmedicated SVT.  I had begun taking a beta blocker about 5years prior to the ablation for an unrelated reason.  Afterwards, I continue to take a somewhat lower dose as a precaution against hypertension and heart attack survivability, something that must be considered as I crashed through 60 years of age.  I regard my daily multi-vitamin, and my micronutrient supplement as something that I will take "for life".  So why not add the beta blocker in as part of the daily morning ritual?  I don't consider this as a burden, but rather a part of a routine.  I do not suffer any side effects from it, so the daily process is automatic.  There are a multitude of possible beta, calcium, or sodium channel blockers to try that offer different benefits and side effects.  You just have to find the right one and the right dose.  I'm 62 and extremely active for an old guy.  My beta blocker doesn't slow me down in the least!

Here's a link to a a forum member's Jannie411's journal: http://www.medhelp.org/search?utf8=%26%23x2713%3B&query=jannie411&camp=top_nav_search

She give a very good account of the process, if you're interested in knowing what happens.  After a near lifetime of SVT,  ablation gave what remains of my life back to me.  I would encourage you to consider it.
By the way, we never heard from Barry after his last post above.  We can only hope his ablation was successful and he has moved on with his life.  I prefer to hang around and offer hope to those who experience ( I detest using "suffer from") SVT, and the interruption of normal lfe it creates.
See my comments above.
I'm wearing a holter right NOW only to prove I'm OK for a pilot's license.
Go. Live.
First of all, let me tell you an interesting point; we are the same age and taking the same medicine for the same problem....I started to take metoprolol succinate 25mg....after a few months about 5 my cardiologist realize that it was not helping much so he increase the dose to 50mg then my eletrophisiologist increased to 75mg.....after the few months I took the 25mg  I experience some problems with my lungs; my airways were narrowing and my pulmonologist thought I had COPD. thankfully I don't my lungs are totally find after 1 months I recovered....however, after the increase to 50mg the shortness of breath cause for the narrowing of the airways returned but only occasionally but when it was increased to 75mg it was a 24/7 shortness of breath until i lowered myself to 50mg now im feeling a little better and made an appointment to see my eletrophysiologist in 4 days......bottom line, go for it bro this beta blocker may help you with this problem but ultimately they will damage other organs but before you do check the doctor's background don't let anybody mess around with your heart....Im also considering an ablation because i have heard that the rate of success for our problem is about 94% and my eletrophysiologist is the director of the most experience hospital in my state so Im pretty sure Im going for it as soon as my doctor give me the green light so good luck I will pray for you we are too young to be stopped by this so keep it up
I'm in same boat.  Worst part of my SVT is that it was 5+ years befoe I finally caught it on a loop monitor.  Did holters, ran up steep hills on hot day - nothing.  Then I'd be totally relaxed playing golf, ground my club and boom, full 220 episode - no monitor or course. Naturally arrogant cardiologists just think your another whack job until they see a test result.   I've had this for ~10 years, I'm 43.  I can run 3 miles, lift weights normally without issue.  I'm a finance guy so I treat this like a business case and look at risk vs reward.  Right now at 43 I can  tolerate episodes well and thru vagal maneuvers can normally get out of SVT in 10 seconds max.   When I hear this is non life threatening I'd say that depends on age.  Everyone develops som level of coronary artery disease.   So if you opt out of ablation then the plan for me will be tolerate as long as possible (woulld ahoot for 60) and then commit to meds.  But in back of head I thinking I want ablation before 50.  I gave up hockey and don't want to give up anything else.  FYI I was prescribed metoprolol as a 'pocket pill'.  So what I do is take a minimal dose before golf and it's worked very well!!  I've also used it ahead of impt meetings (work for large bank) and it's amazing for calming u down.
Hi my names coltin I'm 15 ige had palpitatiins for 4 years and noone could figure oit what was wrong until as of 2 months ago and I've decise to do the ablation because the odds are in ky favor and I get 3 a day and that's a crap load plus I'm young ajd they tend to get worse
I was really unsure about this SVT procedure and was really dreading the procedure. You all have gave me some peace of mind. I go in the hospital tomorrow to have mine done. Will try and fine this site again and let you all know how it went. thanks again Chris
Hey barry. My names Brad and im also 23 and have SVT. Yesterday (may 23rd) i had my first ablation. Before my ablation i was terrified! Ive never been "put under" or had and procedures or surgeries in my life
I asked in the procedure could kill me several times, several doctors and got the same answer "no" yadada "worst case you leave with a pacemaker". When u go under, can u imagine hearing and seeing 10 people hovering above u? Its scary. Then all i remember is words saying "hes dieing get the paddles ready hurry!"
Well during my ablation i "died" 2 times and was brought back via shock paddles. The doctor never spoke to me and when i asked for him he never came. He told my mom i was fixed, my hearts like brand new, yay! Its been almost 24 hours since the proceadure and ive counted a total of 27 irregular heart palpitations. One of those while typing this. Prior to my operation i had a 20% fraction rate to my left atrical valve.

What they do is go into your heart with these tubes. They trigger every possible heart problem they can. Then they try to stop it. After they find the problem, start and stop it, then they ablate it.
Theyre playing an arcade game, galica. Remember? Youre a lil ship at the bottom (there camera and burn tool) shooting at the ships getting closer (your heart)..
But from what you explain, your condition is like how mine was when i was about 12. Currently i get rushed to the ER 1-2 times a month bpm of 250 easy every time. It takes 2- 12mg adinocard to convert me. And the idea of shock paddles were mentioned every time but, ive been tased. Its not fun so when they brought up shock paddles i would refuse.
Im not tryin to scare u out of the surgery.. Im tryin to let you know what will happen if u wait to long
Catch the s*** early before its to late!
I lost out on a baseball scolarship to LSU cause i cant get cleared by a doctor. And im living off of an SSI check cause simple s*** like standing up from a desk will make my heart race..

Do it man.
My son was told he had SVT at 10 years of age.. He went 2 years without an episode... The 2nd time he had an episode he was 12 years old and was able to self correct it..  He had a few episodes in the next few months he was able to self correct them... Last month now 13 years old he was having a hard time self correcting.  The school called an EMT and the reading showed his heart rate was near 300.  After 40 mins he was able to self correct and now they want him to do EP testing and may want to do the ablation.  He is a dancer and seriously wants to do this for a living. I guess I need reassuring that this age is a good age to have this done.
I'm scheduled for an ablation for SVT 9/20/16 and I am so nervous.  I'm not nervous for the procedure but for being sedated. I have bad anxiety and panic attack disorder and I'm nervous being sedated will make me have a panic attack but not be able to do anything about it cause I will be drugged.  I'm hoping I will be sedated enough to not really care or too relaxed to go into a panic attack.  Anyone have experience of this for me to feel better about the procedure
Monica, I would contact your electrophysiologist  and express your concerns to him or her.  If they know ahead of time, they can arrange for a sedative prior to going into the cath lab.  I was given a shot of Vallium, just prior to being wheeled away, and barely made it to the lab before falling unconscience.  I was given general anesthesia and remember literally nothing of the procedure.  Today's sedatives are wonderful drugs.  They make you feel momentarily tired as opposed to having your consciouness pulled away from you.  I had numerous injuries in my younger days that required surgery, and I always hated that feeling of being drawn away; the period of acute hearing, and the increasing rush of static.  Today's sedation is not like that.  It feels more like instantly having a little too much to drink, followed by sleep.  Try it once, and you'll never be afraid of confronting again.  Good luck next week.  You can do it!
One ablasion doesn't last forever . I think it's about 10 years. They don't like to do it after 70 yrs.
I had ablasion in November that was not totally successful . They had to stop since they did cardio version 4 times and was only half done. So now I am on a serious but wonderful drug called Sotolol. I should have done the serious Meds first. I was on beta blocker Metopropanol for many years. One night in March, after the ablasion at 7:30 pm watching TV my heart started beating about 150 per minute . We called ambulance went to the hospital and it didn't stop until 2:00 am. That was after the ablasion I had in November .
I'm on Meds now anyway, just a more serious med.
Cardiac ablation is performed on a number of different type of arrhythmia.  For supra ventricular tachycardia (SVT) it is very effective and it can last a lifetime (not saying that it will).  I'm going on 7 years SVT free.