Safe heart rate?
What would be considered a safe heart rate while exercising? I am on meds and am obese (255lbs) down from 288.
When I bike (10k) my pulse can go as high as 159. It does return to normal within 10 minutes, Resting heart rate is 89 - 90 ish.  Doing housework ect it is usually 99  to 110. Is this safe.
On meds for Higfh Blood pressure, Have had 2 stents put in and a stroke.
Reason I'm asking is that in an effort to get off some of my meds, I stopped taking my Diltiazem., few months ago. Now I'm not sure if that was a mistake!
There are charts, probably available through a google search, that will give heart rate date related to aerobic exercise.   These charts will suggest what rates based on your age will put you in an aerobic exercise zone.  However, given the information you have offered, I would most certainly have your doctor guide you.  
I agree with sweetwaterguy about checking with your doctor, especially on stopping any medications.  I don't know what Diltazem is, but would expect you to be on an anticoagulant if you've had a stroke.  

An aerobic heart rate of 159 would fine for most people under 40 years of age and in condition, i.e., have worked their way up to that level.  A rest heart rate over 80 seems a bit high to me.  This is based on my experience and general guidelines/norms I've read.
The rule of thumb is that your cadio zone is calculated as a range between 65% and 85% of your "max" heart rate.  You calculate your max rate by subtracting your age from 220 and then multiplying 65% to 85%.  

In my case, it's 220 - 43 = 177 max, and my range is 115 to 151.  I can definitely go beyond 151, but a good training zone for me is between 130 - 145.  An all out sprint for me is around 160.  The higher you are in the zone the more carbs you burn, the lower end burns more fat.  Some of the consideration should be your overall health and activity level.  If you exercise regularly you might want to invest in a Polar heart rate monitor.  It's an exercise monitor I have been wearing for years and really helps you keep your heart rate where it should be, and monitor your workouts.  You can find more info at www.polarusa.com