Heart Rhythm Community
Short PR intervals

This patient support community is for discussions relating to heart rhythm issues, arrhythmia, irregular heartbeat, implanted defibrillators, pacemakers, and tachycardia.

Short PR intervals

Recently my doc told me that I have short PR intervals. Does anyone know what that really means? When he told me this I was in recovery from the EP study that was supposed to include ablation but they couldn't get my heart to act up. (Disappointed to say the least.) Now that I am home I can say that I can feel my heart race and I have chest pains more often than not. I have to wear another holter monitor for 2 weeks to see what it shows. Regardless I can tell when something is not right in my chest. I am very aware of my heart beats. I just want answers and to have my life back to normal.
Yes thatsounds frustrating.  I wonder tho if theycan't set off your tachycardia if maybe you don't have an abnormal rhythm to be as concerned about?

Btw, as a quick reality check here,  I don't know from my own experience that chest pain and tachycardia are one in the same.  I personally do not have pain at the same time I have my tachy for instance.  When dealing with chest pain its important to understand the source of the pain. Be sure you understand angina and tell your doctor about your chest pain. Chest pain can be a really big red flag that may not have anything to do with abnormal electrophysiology. You understand this,  correct?

I know the feeling. Sorry to hear it.

The PR interval is an indication of the time taken to conduct between the upper heart and lower heart. You might be normal. Or  you might have wolf parkinson white syndrome (pre-excitation).

From the web, I found the following possible situations for short PR interval. Again, there is also a situation called "normal variant", so dont get too hung up on this. You need a doctor's diagnosis, much more than Bromley's cut and paste....

1. Preexcitation syndromes:

WPW (Wolff-Parkinson-White) Syndrome: An accessory pathway (called the "Kent" bundle) connects the right atrium to the right ventricle (see diagram below) or the left atrium to the left ventricle, and this permits early activation of the ventricles (delta wave) and a short PR interval.

LGL (Lown-Ganong-Levine): An AV nodal bypass track into the His bundle exists, and this permits early activation of the ventricles without a delta-wave because the ventricular activation sequence is normal.

2. AV Junctional Rhythms with retrograde atrial activation (inverted P waves in II, III, aVF): Retrograde P waves may occur before the QRS complex (usually with a short PR interval), in the QRS complex (i.e., hidden from view), or after the QRS complex (i.e., in the ST segment).

3.  Ectopic atrial rhythms originating near the AV node (the PR interval is short because atrial activation originates close to the AV node; the P wave morphology is different from the sinus P)

Thanks, Bromley. I have been dealing with some form of Tachycardia since 2008. Finally when I thought that all of this was going to be over NOTHING happened in the EP study. I am just at the end of my rope. Especially since I have just been having chest pains this evening that lasted for about 45 min.  

Thanks and I have been noticing that I have the chest pains before I start to feel my heart race. I mentioned the chest pains to my EP and he said that it comes from my heart racing so much that it make my heart vibrate and that causes the pain. My husband and I are about to say its time for a new doc. I have to wear another heart monitor starting next week. We shall see what this one shows.
Ok.  Your doctor could be correct.  If the heart beats fast,  it may not pump blood well which could lead to pain. I have also read that Pvc s can hurt. Main point being,  Bromley is in no position to argue with dr. Just saying that there is also heart attack potential with chest pain,  so be careful when connecting the dots.  I do support you in the careful selection of a doc.  And hope that your testing turns out well...