Heart Rhythm Community
Should I be concerned by erratic hear rate whilst running but not durin...
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to heart rhythm issues, arrhythmia, irregular heartbeat, implanted defibrillators, pacemakers, and tachycardia.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Should I be concerned by erratic hear rate whilst running but not during cycling?

Hi there, could anyone suitable knowledgeable please advise me whether I should be concerned or take action as a result of the following:

I had paroxysmal atrial fibrillation 4 years ago and spent a night in hospital where my heart corrected itself, I was 36 years old. This was due to a combination of extreme emotional stress (I run my own company and often have problems chasing late payers!) and alcohol. I have had a couple of subsequent episodes following evenings involving considerable alcohol intake sometimes following very arduous alpine skiing or other strenuous exercise.

I had echo, stress test, a consultation with cardiologist and a follow-up EKG 2 years later and started annual ECGs in March 2009. No medication was required and I was told to not drink too much alcohol and to stop playing squash.

At the time I lost 50lbs and got to my correct weight however I have now returned to being too heavy and have noticed during certain types of exercise my heart behaves strangely.

When I cycle my heart behaves normally albeit the heart rate does rise to 175bpm on very steep uphill sections, according to my Polar Heart Rate Monitor. However when I run during circuit training my HR immediately (just during gentle jogging at warm-up) rises to 160bpm+ and sometimes briefly above 200bpm but then drops to a worrying 80bpm (without variation at all) for a couple of minutes (while running hard) before normalizing to a steady HR. Once warm during running my HR rises upto 180bpm steadily whilst sprinting. I feel fine when this happens and have no chest pain or dizziness during or after exercise. My resting HR on non-exercise days is around 46-53bpm.

The Polar HRM has a Fit Test function which apparently gives a score comparable to a VO2 Max test and the day after cycling and Circuit training my score is in the "Very Good" category.

I have noticed that the HR during exercise is greatly affected by alcohol use however I am very keen not to give up drinking alcohol unless absolutely necessary. The Fit Test function of the HRM confirms the negative effect of alcohol use following an evening out....

I would be grateful if you would please advise me whether I should be concerned by my heart's behavior and whether I should take any action.

I don't really want to consult my doctor if I can avoid it. My Polar HRM is not defective as I have bought another HRM of a different brand in order to check the results and the results are the same.

I have to do quite a lot of client entertaining and drinking alcohol, occasionally excessively, makes the job easier....

I have a weekend of kayaking, mountain biking and beer drinking coming up and would appreciate your advice!