Heart Rhythm Community
Sick sinus syndrome and meds

A community of people experiencing Heart Rhythm concerns. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: symptoms, management, and treatment.

Sick sinus syndrome and meds

Hi, I have sick sinus syndrome brady-tachy and the way I found out was an experience I would never want to repeat.  I had palpitations for years and all docs I saw basically said it was all my imagination until finally I got a little more persistent and one ordered a tilt table test.  Needless to say my heart stopped and I remember coming out of it and the nurse was just rambling on about what had just happened as if I could even concentrate on a word she was saying...in fact the only word I did understand was pacemaker.  I was so confused, trying to wake up from my heart flat lining during a no frills test and being told at 35 I would need a pacemaker?  Well doc decided not to give me a pacemaker and although just minutes before I was "heart-less" on a table I could go ahead and drive myself home and see the doc the next day.  Saw doc, he gave me lots of meds set up another tilt test...as if the first one wasn't enough of an experience.  A month later strapped back down to that table and as if they thought there would be a different outcome they still looked just as shocked as the last time when I woke up again after another flat lining episode.  This time I wasn't allowed to drive home and they admitted me and I got a shiny new pacemaker.  As everything worked itself out I have also gotten used to a regimen of digoxin and metoprolol and wondering if there is an end in sight.  My doc has not been the best at explaining things yet still I almost feel bad at the thought of trading him in for a new one...go figure.  Have any of you had similar experiences and if so do you have any words of wisdom...
Wow is all I can say, the reason I say that is because I'm currently going through soe of the same things as you. I have tachy in my sleep with bouts of brady. I have been brushed off for years. Now they want to do an EP study to find out what exactly is going on. I've had holter monitors, endless labs, stress, and echos. I suggested the tilt table a long time ago but my dr. said that was for patients who have history of fainting. Now hearing your story I never, ever want one of those. I'm sorry that you've had to endure all of that and yes at your young age. Does your family have a history of heart issues? can you tell me a little more about your symtoms (symptoms) as far as when you would get tachy and brady. I sure wish I had more to help you with but I'm sure someone on here will give you answers there are a few on here that are very knowledgable.
I didn't really have any fainting episodes either, I guess that's why I had to practically beg them for a tilt test.  They did the EKG's and the 24 hour halters and the echo which all showed a healthy heart.  The 30 day halter finally showed some of the tachy and brady times.  It took so long to get a doctor to actually talk to me like a person instead of just a hypochondriac.  The only reason I asked for the tilt test was because my niece had one and they ended up saying she had an electrolyte issue...which is what I was expecting them to tell me.  My symptoms were mostly a few terrifying episodes of tachycardia when I was just sitting up in bed reading or even when I was sleeping like you've experienced, they would wake me up.  I honestly thought I was having a heart attack even though I was so young I called 911 during 2 of them...of course they found nothing wrong when they arrived since my heart was right back to "normal" by then.  Many ER visits with doctors acting as though I was wasting their time.  It got pretty scary, it seemed that if my heart wasn't beating out of my chest it was beating almost too slowly for me to even lift my hand to feel my pulse.  My blood pressure is pretty low too.  Since all of this my mom has also had a tilt test and failed, she doesn't have a pacemaker yet but may need one soon.  My cardiologist said it isn't genetic but I am beginning to think otherwise.  I know that a tilt test sounds scary but if it can finally give you a diagnosis it may be worth it.  I have already taken my kids to see a specialist as well just in case.  If you have any other questions that I can maybe help out with so you don't have to get the same run around feel free to ask.
I really appreciate your reply. My blood pressure is fine, it always has been. Was your blood pressure a problem before the tilt test? I often feel the skipped beats, fast heart rate and the slow heart rate but I was told by my cardiologist that a slow heart rate is very normal while sleeping. It isn't slow while I'm awake neither. I had a 30day holter as well and again, the dr says "normal" how is my heart "normal" when it wakes me up out of my sleep beating so fast 179bpm while sleeping! I will ask again about the tilt test but I'm petrified now that I know your experience. It must have been so scary for you :( I have an appt with the specialist tomorrow I will ask a million questions and will let you know what he says. Thank you again so much!
Good luck!  I understand the fear but at least it can give more answers either way it goes.