Heart Rhythm Community
Sinus Pause? Please Help!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to heart rhythm issues, arrhythmia, irregular heartbeat, implanted defibrillators, pacemakers, and tachycardia.

Sinus Pause? Please Help!

Today, I had the scariest episode yet.  I was driving to the bank when all of a sudden it was like I got a really hard pvc, and then it was like I was paused for awhile. This was more than the normal pause you get when you have these beats. It left me gasping for air, and then very shaky all over.  I drove myself to the er (with my little boy) and had all the tests they normally do.  EKG, chest xray, blood , and everything was normal.  I asked the doctor what he thought happened and he said I probably had a sinus pause.  I asked him if this was dangerous, and he said it could be. Now I am scared to death.  If anyone nows anything about this please explain, because I do not know what else to do.  I still feel awful, and  I am frightened.  Jennifer
first.......relax............maybe you should wear an event monitor......maybe it was just a pvc with a compensatory pause.  If you can catch it on it monitor you would know for sure.  The mortality rate for sinus pause events is around 2% a year, and pacemakers are needed if they because worrisome.  Did they not refer to a cardiologist for a follow up?   They should have done so.  He is the one you should be asking questions.
Hi~
I just commented on this a week or so ago too!  I get that long pause before my heart goes into the SVT rythym.  It seems to last 3 seconds or so and I feel like I am fading out.  Then it kicks into SVT.    That doctor needs to be shot.  he tells you the sinus pause could be, then sends you on your way?  Go see a cardio and get a monitor.  However, that pause has never been captured on my 24 hour moniter because it only happens 2 or 3 times a year.
I know exactly what you felt.  
I do see a cardiologist because I have pacs. I developed those after childbirth, but these longer than normal pauses have me scared out of mind.  Today was the first time that they knocked me on my bottom.  I couldn't ignore this if I wanted too. When the pause finally ended it left me startled for air.  How can I tell if this was 3 seconds or longer? It felt much longer than that.  Can you tell me what is the difference between a compensatory pause and a sinus pause? I do have an event monitor on its way, it should be here by Friday.  I also take a 12mg of the generic version of toprol xl, do you think that the beta blocker could be causing this?  Can you explain how this pause takes place? I am sorry to ask so many questions, but I am scared.
Let me know if the event monitor picks up the pauses. Mine never did and my doctor didn't think it warranted additional testing because it only happens 3 - 4 times a year.  This is truly life altering and I'm so sorry you worry because I know exactly how you feel.  
take care
frenchie
I'm so sorry you're having a difficult time.  Every once in a while I get a long compensatory pause too. I found this entry on the forum.  I think you will find it reassuring.  Let me know how you make out with your event monitor.

Lori

justanothergirl

04/27/05
   Firstly, many thanks for taking the time out of your busy schedules to answer my question, i really appreciate it.

Right, now i'm a little confused...i was reading through the posts yesterday and somebody gave their ECG report, which said 'no pvc's, no pauses' and it panicked me cos is sinus pause a completely different arrithymia to pvc's? I suffer from benign pvc's and I know exactly when one happens cos i feel a fluttery feeling, a SLIGHT pause and then a big thump. Reading through the archives i think most people feel this pause and then big thump and I think the explanation is that it takes longer to pump the excess blood out of the heart? Is this normal? My cardiologist said nothing about sinus pause, just that I have benign pvc's and the occasional PAC and not to worry-I don't ever feel any other pauses throughout the day, just with the feeling that accompanies the PVC's. I'm on 25mg atenolol x2 daily.

Am I worrying about nothing now? Or do all pvc sufferer's (or the one's that experience the big thump) also have sinus pause? It is a very quick pause mind you...

Anyway sorry to be a worrywart, just wanted some info.

Many, many thanks, have a great day.
CCF-M.D.-MJM

04/27/05
   Hi Justanothergirl,

This is completely normal.  When your heart has a premature ventricular beat it resets your hearts pacemaker (sinus node) and can lead to a pause longer than the normal interval between beats.  This longer interval gives your heart more time than normal to fill and leads to a larger volume of blood prior to contraction.  When your heart is stretched -- like with this larger than normal blood volume following a PVC -- it leads to a stronger contraction.  This is the skip......THUMP that you all feel after a PVC and is completely normal.

This is not a problem and don't give it a second thought.

And to Mattiebaby, kudos to any 72 year old that knows how to use the internet!!!!

Good luck and I hope this helps.
thank you for the post. Since this incident, I have been a mess. It really scared me to death. thank you and I will definitely keep you posted.