Heart Rhythm Community
Sinus Tach/SVT anyone had this and given birth?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to heart rhythm issues, arrhythmia, irregular heartbeat, implanted defibrillators, pacemakers, and tachycardia.

Has anyone who suffers from Sinus Tach/SVT had it also during pregnancy?  What kind of birth did you have?

I have Sinus Tachy which the Dr's believe is something to do with anxiety, I'm still not convinced on that, I am sure its hormone related after more tests.  I have a cardio appt this week and I will be seeing a OB/Gyn soon also.  I would like to know if any sufferers have given birth with this condition and what kind of birth they had (Natural or C Section) I just want to know what my birth choices might be.
I had SVT during both of my pregnancies ( I had had it for over 5 years before becoming pregnant and was told to not get pregnant) Understand that SVT rates are much higher, as a rule, than Sinus Tachycardia and so the effects may not be the same. You don't say what your rates are. Neither of my pregnancies went well; the first I was on bed rest after passing out at the bank due to rates over 200; the second one I develped a Gallop Murmur and was told to go home and rest and NOT to get pregnant again. (A Gallop Murmur can be a sign of heart failure.) I gave birth to both of my children naturally; bled so badly with the first baby I went into shock and nearly died  I was 'out' for a half hour with no detectable pulse or blood pressure. The second delivery was better in terms of the hemorrahaging but I was so exhausted, I had no energy in delivering the baby and I was told at that point to not do anything, that my body, alone, would deliver the baby  I did not have long labors : 9 hours for my first baby and about 9 for my second. I had to have my tubes tide after my second child or risk not making it through another pregnancy. I took drugs during my second pregnancy where I ended up in toxic states from and I ended up with a child who had severe forms of cardiomyopathies and severe electrical problems of the heart. She had a heart transplant at 22. I often times question if the drugs I took during my pregnancy didn't cause half of her problems. If you have a simple sinus tachycardia, you would probably be okay; if there are risks involved then a OB/GYN will certainly tell you, it took me forever to find a doctor who would consider taking me on pregnant with SVT problems like I had. I had to keep looking until I found one; most wanted to abort the babies, something I refused to do.  
Hey, well I'm on beta blockers to control it but it started two months after my first child was born 3 yrs ago.  My resting rate was 90-100 and it would go right up to 120 standing up and walking a few feet into the other room.  If I climbed the stairs it would go even further up and I would ache all over.  I still get the aching and fast rate walking up stairs despite the beta blockers.  I get palps straight after eating too.  It is made worse with anxiety.  It has gone way way up to about 150-160 during a panic attack which is scary.

My midwife doesn't know much about it really.  My blood pressure was high with it too when it started but the beta blockers control that.  The Dr initially thought it was thyroid, but that and other tests were perfectly normal hence their conclusion of anxiety.  

I got pregnant unexpectedly and wondered whether it would be a safer bet to have a c-section.  I had a very good and healthy natural birth with my first son, but now I am sick I don't know what to do and would just like to know what other people have done if they've had similar.

With the beta blockers it depends it can range from 60-80 resting to 80-90 resting after meals.  Sometimes 100 after meals depending on what I've eaten.  Also of course with being pregnant I know that the rate may go up more with the increase in blood volume.  But it seems on minor exertion it can be troublesome so I've been scared that I won't have the energy to have a natural birth.
I would talk to your doctor about the way you feel. I am not sure you can take beta blockers while pregnant either. You should see a cardiologist and have him follow you during your pregnancy. The heart rates are going to be higher at this time so things may be a lot harder to deal with. take care
I gave birth naturally to my twin girls, without any problems at all. I was diagnosed with SVT 5 yrs. earlier. So don't worry it doesnt always affect the delivery.
Hope this helps.

mammaoftwins
Hi, thanks for the hope there, I am literally looking to see if anyone has been in a similar boat.  I see the cardio this week and am just hoping that I can have a normal birth.