Heart Rhythm Community
Skipped Beats

This patient support community is for discussions relating to heart rhythm issues, arrhythmia, irregular heartbeat, implanted defibrillators, pacemakers, and tachycardia.

Skipped Beats

Hello, My name is Bryan and Im a 28 yr old Male from CT. I have been expieriencing my heart skipping beats...it will beat then stop and beat hard once then back to normal. Also every once in a while too my heart would feel like it is fluttering and I can feel it in my throat and I try to move around and get it to stop but it ill last 5 min or so. Ive been to my MD multiple times and had a 24 hr monitor, ekg, and echocardiogram. She just says its anxiety but it happens when im not even thinking about anything.The monitor did show skipped beats but the doctor said it was normal and didnt offer much more information. When I wore the monitor the fluttering didnt accure and I feel like they can be missing something. I am scared to do any physical activity. I go to the gym daily and it usually feels good when im active, these symptoms usually only happen when im relaxing. I never feel lightheaded or chest pain, just the skipping and fluttering in my chest and it scares me. Hope to get some outlook on this....Thank you
I had a similar situation years ago in getting my Afib diagnosed, monitors, etc.  Initially I was diagnosed with panic attacks.  It was not until I did a stress test and it kicked in about 2 minutes into the cool down did they finally capture it on paper.  Before it was like taking your car to the mechanic and them never hear the noise, for I was always in sinus rythm.  If the symptoms last long enough, which mine do, and even though it is a royal pain in the neck, my recommendation is go to the ER when you are having symptoms and get it recorded on an EKG.  That way you will have something for the doctor to use to try and treat you.  I wish I had done that a long time ago, it would have saved me a lot of time in getting diagnosed.  You usually will be seen quickly/first if it is a herart issue.  A fib is typically not life threating, provided you are in good health otherwise.  I have been dealing with it for 10+ years.  Hope that helps.
So what did they do for you when they finally captured it on paper? Are you able to do physical activities and live a normal life? Im going to a Cardiologist on Wednesday
I have the same problem. I have had an EKG, Echo, and 24 hour monitor, but only had the "skipping" with the EKG, which showed nothing. Apparently it is fairly normal to have PVC's or PAC's which feel like a skipped beat, but it scares me that the Dr.'s are missing something as well. Does anyone have any suggestions?
"It will beat then stop and beat hard once then back to normal."
As an MVP patient, this is part of my daily life.
My case is even worse, whole body will convuls/twitch because of the sudden hard beat. Fortunately this only happens during night time while I sleep.

It is weird your echocardiogram result shows OK but you continuously have this symptom. Perhaps go check with another Cardiologist.

Wish you good luck, and perhaps it is really anxiety only.

Hey, I used to have the same problems years ago. My heart would flutter and i would feel it in my throat. I would be in and out of the hospital and they would see it happening on the monitor but said it was nothing to worry about. I finally went to a cardiologist about 3 years ago and found out i have mitral valve prolapse. He said it could be causing the fluttering that he diagnosed as pac's. He says it is nothing to worry about that it will not harm, its more aggrevating than anything. I told him i was concerned with exercising and he said it will not cause anything to happen. I also wore a 24 hr heart monitor and had the fluttering several times so he was actually able to see it when it happend. hope this gives you some insight
I am 54 and have been having those off and on since I was in my mid twenties. I am still here and have had a normal life. I ride my recumbent trike as much a 15-20 miles many days and I have no problems. I have had PVC's and PAC's in singles and doubles and triples. I went through the typical tests and ER visits and multiple cardiologists. Nobody seemed to be able to tell me what was causing it. It was very frustrating. I became very fearful and worried I had some major problem that would cause me to drop dead one day. Doctors told me not to worry about it. That just irritated me! I became very anxious about it all.

What I can say now, all these years later, is I spent too much time with worry and made myself sick with worry that turned out to be unfounded. Lots of us have hearts that are not "regular". We have the idea that all healthy hearts are supposed to beat a steady, even rhythm and if it does otherwise something serious must be wrong. Well, like with other human traits, we all vary somewhat. What is "normal" for me is not so for others. I  learned that there was no way for me to stop it. Worry and anxiety only makes it worse. I did quit smoking and drinking and caffeine and that helped. Also, enough rest and a good diet are helpful to me. My irregular heart has warned me when I didn't take care of myself. Reducing stress is very important. If your cardio says its ok to exercise, you should. Regular exercise relieves stress and it helps me to push my heart some and see that it really isn't that fragile after all...Take Care