Aa
A
A
Close
Sleeping pill and bad heart palpitations
So, I have extreme insomnia due to several health problems and medications. I used to take Ambien but found the "doing stuff while you're asleep" side effects to be unsettling. The doctors moved me up to Ambien CR which gave me extreme chest pain, numb extremities, and a swollen tongue. After being off of sleeping meds for about 2-3 years now  I recently started taking OTC Unisom. It really helps but after taking it a couple times I've been getting tingly hands and heart palpitations. I know this means I should probably stop taking it but I need to know: is this normal? If not what do I do? And what is a good switch, i.e. lower dose tablets or different brand? Thanks.
Cancel
1 Answers
Page 1 of 1
612551 tn?1450025775
The only guess I have is based on the principle "less is better" when it comes to meds.. i.e., split a pill or something and see if that improves.

It may be best to check with your doctor.  

I can say that on rare occasions I take a generic Ambien and don't think I have any palps (beyond what is normal for me) but my wife says I sometimes kick when asleep and I think I may dream more...dreaming is anther problem I have, I call them "trouble mares"..

OTC sleep aids have never done much of anything for me, good or bad.  I used to do some long distance over-night flying USA to Europe and tried OTC stuff there, I didn't get much help and I was trying to sleep after a long day and flying during my normal sleep period - albeit, finding the clock change of 6 hours was also a bit of an upset.. but that's another subject.

Look up good sleeping habits and try to follow them, that may be your best path forward.
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Comment
Post Comment
Your Answer
Answer
Do you know how to answer? Tap here to leave your answer...
Answer
Answer
Post Answer
A
A
Top Arrhythmias Answerers
Recent Activity
Blank
Paxiled commented on Green Tea and Green T...
Dec 10
Blank
jimgreg on now 400 mg of lamctal,,a... Comment
Dec 09
1236893 tn?1408490528
Blank
gymdandee commented on Green Tea and Green T...
Dec 09
Heart Rhythm Community Resources