Slowing heart rate
I am a 59 year old male with  three stents since 2001. In the last two months, I have experienced numerous times, a feeling of blacking out when I started to fall asleep.  My pulse rate was about 15 beats a minute. The feeling would pass and I would fall asleep.  I have also had the slow pulse rate while sitting at the computer at work. My rate is usually around 70 beats.
I have felt dizzy but thought it might be caused by the blood pressure medicine.
Father died of heart attack.
Younger brother and our mother had open heart surgery.
Older brother has some heart condition.
Is it time for a pacemaker?
I think, little that I know, that it is very important that you discuss you condition with a cardiologist.  I understand a HR below 30 is indicative of a need for protection against a heart stop (heart failure/attack).  How do you know you HR was as low as 15?  

I don't mean to frighten you, as I have no personal experience - well my sister suffers from a very low HR and has had a pacemaker for about 10 years now.

What was the surgery for that you mention?  

Given the history of heart problems in your family, you need to take every precaution to prefent heart failure.... I believe.

Good luck,