Strange "drop" feeling in chest
Hi. I have a fairly involved question, so please bear with me. I was recently diagnosed as having panic attacks by my primary care physician. I am 24, recently returned to college. Before I went to school, I had none of the problems I am about to describe.

My feelings of being weirded out first started when my left arm and hand started going numb. Doctor said it was due to neck spasms. Next, different things started to pop up. I definitely have panic attacks (periods of racing heartbeat, shortness of breath, tightness in my chest, nausea, etc) but I also have a strange feeling in my chest 95% of the day. It feels sort of hollow all the time, and every two minutes or so I will have a feeling like a "drop" or almost like a shock in my chest. I have had PVCs (all the time) for at least 5 years, and it almost feels like a more severe one of these. When I'm having this problem, I also have difficulty swallowing and can sort of feel the swallow going all the way down. The drop feeling is worse when I bend over or crouch down.

I went to the cardiologist last week and he did an echo and said I have a perfectly normal heart. He prescribed alprazolam for the panic attacks. What I can't make anyone understand is that even when I'm not having an "attack" I still feel icky inside. I take my pulse a thousand times a day and it varies from 58-85 when at rest, depending on the time of day. Also, I wake up in the middle of the night feeling like my heart is barely beating (super slow) and I can't breathe.

I have been experiencing terrible insomnia, mostly due to the fact that I am terrified I'm dying. There are sometimes periods of days with no sleep whatsoever (it's 4am as I type this!). My main concern is that I could have a heart condition that would not be easily identified just with the echo. I haven't passed out or had trouble exerting myself or anything, but when I feel this way I don't want to do anything but be perfectly still and I can't stop thinking about it.

It also seems to perhaps be connected to food. I used to love eating and look forward to it and my family really based a lot of our good times around meals, but now food sickens me. When I'm hungry I get the "drop" feeling, then I think if I eat it will go away, but it doens't and sometimes actually worsens. Then I think perhaps I need to use the bathroom, and I either will go and be sick to my stomach or not be able to go. I have never had problems with my bathroom habits before, but haven't been "regular" in over a month now.

I want so much for this just to be anxiety and for it to go away naturally. People tell me to think of something else and it's just my "panic attacks" but when you have physical symptoms that are very bothersome and constant, it's hard to just turn it on and off. Please let me know if there is anything else this sounds like, or if I should just trust my cardiologist and take my xanax and try to find some counseling.

PS - Additional info about the alprazolam. It's only .25 mg, and I've taken it twice. The first time it didn't seem to do much. It definitely calmed me, but didn't help with the hollow chest/drop feeling. Tonight I took it and actually experienced some relief. I was able to go out with friends and be very productive. However, once I went to sleep I kept waking up and my heart rate was very low. I don't know if this is because of the xanax, but it was very scary and has kept me awake.

I'm sorry to post all this, but I have been to the doctor multiple times and they are very helpful but I never leave fully satisfied. I'm really scared and this is interfering with my school work and social life severely.
I thought I was ALONE. I too am going through the same feelings.
This started 1 month ago. I am 56 Years old. First time was after a minor confrontation with my boss (and I do mean minor). It felt like I ran out of air and had to consciously remember to breathe. I have to take ambien to sleep nightly. I am constantly checking my pulse. I take avodart & flowmax.
Any suggestions? Is there a name for this condition? Are there meds out there?
Oh wow, this is crazy. I searched yahoo and found this post. I thought I was the only one in the world experiencing this. I'm a college student too, although I just turned 31. I'm at the end of my teaching program, and it's very stressful. I've been experiencing the heart dropping feeling and the waking up at night for a few months now. I thought I was dying, seriously.
I also have high blood pressure, which makes my anxiety worse, because I feel like I'm always on the verge of death, even though it's under control. I had debilitating anxiety about 3 years ago and went though therapy to help me leave the house again and drive. It only lasted a few months, but it was the worst time of my life. I felt wonderful for about 1 year, and then it's started to creep back. I'm not nearly as bad, but my fear of death and thinking that I'm about to die, or that when I go to sleep at night I'm sure I'm going to never wake up and never see my daughter again, is almost constant. I'm not on meds, and I'm afraid to go on meds. I have a huge fear of allergies, and I think I would feel worse. The only added symptom I have is that my face gets very hot and red, which is a symptom I get when i'm having an allergic reaction, but I know it's from the anxiety.
I wish there was some way I could cure this. My mind is constantly racing. At least lately I've been in control of my dizzy episodes. Those were very severe and part of the reason why i didn't leave the house or drive for a while. I've had countless heart tests and everyone tells me my heart is very healthy. I just need to get that into my head...
Thank you, and everyone else for posting this. Knowing that I'm not the only one makes me feel better.
im 39 and having the same exact problems. after going to the er and md several times ive been diag with anxiety, stomach ulcers, and acid reflux. i thought i was crazy with this dropping feeling in my chest. no meds seem to help. added to your symptoms i have the feeling something is stuck in my throat and it seems hard to swallow. it happens more so at night, but can happen all day. thnx so much for all the info !!!!!  i feel better just knowing im not alone...
I am 21 and have exactly these symptoms. After having every test going for my heart I was diagnosed with anxiety and given citalopram but on the advise on my uncle, who is a chemist, didnt take them and just doo an hour of exercise everyday. It has helped with my panic attacks but the "hollow heart beat" i get has not gone away. I may well try to see an endocrinologist to see if hypothyroidism could be it as my dad has been on thyroxin most of his life. I am studying biology at university so spend everyday looking at horrible diseases and find it very easy to convince myself im dying especially in an attack where that is all you can think about. really glad i found this post though to know a lot of people suffer these symptoms, and we are all still here :-)
hey, great to read this thread, i feel the same way as others have stated above and also this is very informative. I started having panic attacks around 21 years old and pretty much had them under raps unless something worth panicing happened. Although sometimes I feel strange or irregular heart beating due to anxiety or whatever its really gotten outta control recently, long story short my girlfriend fell asleep ontop of me and i was asleep aswell i woke up suddenly with my heart pounding and i freaked out lol, next thing you know i had a anxiety attack and ive been struggling with anxiety attacks off and on now for the last couple months, i dunno if its in my head or what sometimes ill be sitting doing nothing not anxious or anything just reading or whatever and ill get that heart "drop" feeling as if my heart takes a really big BEAT, its wierd but also i have noticed an increased heart rate and all this combined im looking into getting the holter monitor for 48 hours i hope, i also have bad vascular blood flow so that makes it worse for me when the anxiety hits i think all this crazy **** and its just terrible, also im living abroad and emergency services suck in the third world and that scares the **** out of me, if i didnt have my girl friend to calm me down and help me god knows id be on the first flight the **** outta here, but anyway glad to hear about others and the information and experiences was great to read, sorry my grammar is so bad i just write to quick and dont care. anyway good luck to all of you, i DEFINATelY feel your pain take care guys
Hi. i read your article with great interest as a very similar thing happened to me while i was in my early twenties. it began after i started  a decorating business. After a few months of stressing about contracts, clients etc. One night after going to bed early going through the books i experienced a numbness in my left arm then a tight feeling across my chest i found it hard to breathe and was terrified i was having a heart attack, i crawled down the stairs (too scared to walk in case i overtaxed my heart) which by the way was fine untill this moment. after being checked at the local hospitals cardio unit i was told there was nothing wrong with me..Well that was like a red rag to a bull because i was the one who had experienced all those things and it didn't feel like nothing to me. So i went to my doctor the next day for a second opinion, he told me the same thing. I then went to various private doctors and ended up at the nation heart unit athe the london hospital wired up and running on a treadmill while several prominant heart specialists monitored my progress..The end result was the same. Nothing wrong with my heart..I was still experiencing  chest tightness and sometimes real pain which radiated down my left arm, i read every article there was ever written about heart problems and was convinced i was going to die suddenly of a heart attack. This went on for a few years in which time i lost my business, sanity and life as i knew it, this problem completely took over my life. I ened up seeing a shrink who gave me ativan, anafranil, valium and librium drugs at various times to try and control the panic.after five years of living like this i remember the turning point when one evening i was alone at home and  the pain and tightness started in my chest again. i "thought christ not again" i was so tired of this that i decided that i would either die or get better i cried as i banged my fist against my chest  trying to incite my heart to stop beating, it seems madness now to write these words but i do so to try and help you and anyone else who is having these problems. needless to say i didn't die so  i decided it was time to get well and beat this thing which was panic attacks, it's amazing just what the mind can do to your health if you let it get a hold of you.  I threw all the drugs down the loo, which i wouldn't reccomend as i went nuts, lost my memory temporarily and ended up on the streets as a tramp, about a month later a friend of mine found me and took me in, she nursed me back to health even spoon feeding me because my hands shook so much..after  that i started karate training which was very hard but i knew deep inside me that if my heart can stand the rigours of training this hard there CAN be nothing wrong with my heart,. So it proved. i'm now 58 and still very fit. So to recap. trust your doctors advise, eat sensible stop smoking and excercise, in time your fears will subside as you get healthier in mind and body. One last thing, the panic attacks will sometimes come back but they quickly dissapear when your mind , which is stronger and more focussed refuses to acknowlede them. They feed off fear so dont be afraid.. i hope this has helped someone out there> good luck. james
Hi This is exactly what I did. I visited the Gastro and he did an endoscopy and said there is nothing to worry. He prescribed some medicines for a 45 days. Didnt help much but for sure I have reduced weight and am feeling better. Surprisingly I have developed some neck pain and when I read about the spondylosis symptoms it says false angina attacks also come some times and has a feeling of hollowness.

I am visiting my gastro once again and will see whats up next. I am also trying to think positive always and keep myself busy to avoid those bad thoughts.
I just randomly saw this when looking something up on google, but what you are describing is exactly what I had and still sometimes have. I am 20 and since I was 16 ish I have had terrible anxiety. I am 100% sure its anxiety. I would have the worst panic attacks then be completely fine and get what you are getting. I would think I was having heart problems. My dads a doctor and told me I was perfectly fine. After getting on zoloft I still had them from time to time but the major part of getting them to decrease was just simply saying to myself "I am having anxiety, there is nothing wrong with me, there is no reason for me to feel this way" because when I did not think that to myself I would panic so much that I could not even drive for awhile.  You really have to just come to terms with the fact that your heart is okay and that you do have anxiety that can be overcome even if it doesnt seem like it at the time. believe me its hard to get past the thinking you are sick or dying. I even wake up in the middle of the night where my heart seems like its beating slow it still scares me and I dont really talk about it much but I know for sure you have bad anxiety
Hi,  I know it's after long time, please reply... I am having almost symptoms from last 1 year, none of the tests giving any results... Please let me know if anything helped you and how are you doing now ?
I just started having this.  Going to do some investigation.
Vagus nerve and tachy are sometimes connected. It is possible that Gerd is inflamming Vagus nerve and causing a spike in pulse or even cause brady.  Read a blog written by dr. Kurt barret on Gerd and all the strange symptoms it can cause
I just recently started to get panic attacks out of nowhere.... after that my pulse went up to 120-130 at rest...  after i had my baby in the hospital, the doctors sent me for a CT to see why my pulse wouldn't go down.... So happens I had a pulmonary embolism... I am not a doctor but I think that panic attacks just don't come out of no where
I am pretty nervous about what is happening to me. I hope you can help me understand.
I am now 4 weeks after a lobe-ectomy in my r- middle lobe .. the 1 cm cancer was 3 mm from my heart & I had VATS surgery..
My problem is that  I am healing and now a new problem has occurred,  My resting heart rate is 80ish but just standing (4 wks post surgery) not walking or moving but just mere standing from a sitting position causes my heart rate to go up to 108 or so.  The Home Health nurse did orthostatics & saw no decline in my BP, but she did notice the jump in heart rate ..Do you think I should be concerned? Could I have postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome?  I wish I knew what is going on I am so concerned pls any answer is better than this worrying.
I have had the same problem that recently got a WHOLE lot worse. All of the same symptoms of appstudent. Everything is the same which is weird, because I have been trying to find anything on these symptoms and it was hard to find. I emailed my doctor and am planning to go in and see a psychiatrist because nothing has helped me in the past at all and I know at this point, even though I do not want to, i have to be put on some type of medication. I have done all kinds of tests with a cardiologist and came back A-OK.
your description is basically word for word what ive been going through!!! I haven't been to the doctor yet but its so good to know im not alone and that theres a really good chance im not actually dying lol  im 21 and did a lot of drugs starting about 2 years ago and ending about 8 months ago when I met Jesus and was able to stop it all. I started having panic attacks in the midst of the time span of the drug use, and tho the symptoms have been getting better and better and the panic attacks fewer and fewer, the symptoms nonetheless remain and now theres been a new development with the heart drop feeling that gets worse when I bend down. overall I think im definitely on the mend, and I think most of my symptoms are def partly a mental thing because praying always helps. anyways, glad to know im probably ok, i'll be praying for us all :)
byebye,
Alex
I just wanted to say thank you. And im sorry that you have to go through this. I am actually going through the exact same thing espcially the dying part. Thats one thing im super afraid of. Im kind of scared to go out like i used to. Im even scared to cut grass thinking my heart is just going to stop. If you find out what this is please let me know
Hey update ... I'm sitting here waiting for tomorrow to come with the results of a Echocardiogram  scan .. mostly of the suspected "Enlarged Main Pulmonary Artery" they now suggest I have,  sheesh!  
I was told it looked enlarged from a CT scan about 2 weeks ago & the cause?  Well it is "common" to get this after the lobectomy I had?  OMG really!  
will these scary  medical maladies & Heart/Lung serious **** ever leave me alone .. I don't want to be scared of dying all the time ... I'm 56 yrs. old & I want to live to be a healthy & 86.!  I live alone w/ dogs  so I get to always be scared alone .. I have to take Clonazepam just to hold down the panic .. Its so evil  
I have to say thank you for posting this I've had that feeling for a while now and I'm on propranolol for it . Unfortunately I'm far too terrified of needles to have blood tests and stuff so I'm just going to hope mine goes away but I'm just so happy that I'm not the only one , thank you
Rugg et al...

It's really comforting to know how many people have been through the same thing. Until last year I never understood what anxiety or panic was and then one evening *BANG* out of no-where I had a panic attack in a room full of people. I honestly believed I was going to die that evening and ended up in hospital. However, there was 'nothing wrong' with me physically - but it is the start of what will be a long journey in my life of mental illness, which is anxiety.

Don't let the Dr's tell you there is 'nothing wrong' with you. If the physical tests add up to nothing physical being wrong (you can trust this) then this probably indicates that there is something mental that you are suffering, which needs to be treated just as seriously and should not be 'laughed off' or met with 'you're a hypocondriac'. Don't ever feel stupid for suffering!

My anxiety is ill health anxiety and it is a perpetual cycle - sometimes i get an anxiety physical symptom out of the blue which triggers mental anxiety which leads to more physical anxiety, sometimes it's mental then physical.

I've had it all, the waking up in the night not being able to breathe, the numbness, the racing heart, the inability to eat, the feeling that you can't talk or are having a stroke, the muscle pains, the spasms, the vertigo, the blurred vision, the headaches, the difficulty swallowing or shallow breathing etc. etc. etc, not to mention the sheer exhaustion of it all. In the last year i've self diagnosed brain tumors, heart problems, ovarian cancer, skin cancer, degenerative bone disease, hyperactive thyroid, meningitis, breast cancer, lymphonia, MS (the list goes on and on). I've kind of taken the attitutude now that my symproms are my bodies way of dealing with stress (panic attacks being the pinnacle!). If i have a symptom i'm worried about then i'll leave it three to four days and then go to the Dr if i'm still worried. If i'm worried about MS i'll go for a checkup every three months to explain my symptoms to the Dr, what i'm worried about and ask if we can keep tabs on it to see if it is really a problem. This helps me to feel i'm not just ignoring symptoms but putting them into perspective.

I used to have it every second of every day, and then sometimes i'd have a 'good day' and then later a 'couple of good days' and now - 1yr on it takes me by surprise when i get it! I know it may never go away completely but it's about living with it, and it makes me a stronger person.

Keep up the fight! It will have periods of being awful and then better and then awful - that's how it goes - but it doesn't have to rule your life always. You are still a person!
wow!!!  you just described what i have been feelings since about this time last year. I went to my local hospital and they ran there tests and sent me on my way with a little bronchitus , but i wasnt  convinced i know a feeling in my lung from a feelings towards the heart ....i guess you could picture a river or a stream running ...turn dow the pressure or mess with the flow of things and the terrain will tell the tale...that is more of a closer comparison to what is in my chest ...the flow gets altered all by its self for no reason at random times throughout the day..well what is now everyday but didnt start so strong these feelings use to be more spread out and i also wake up in the night thinking im saving my own life i jump right out of bed and start doing jumping jacks and other quick to get my heart pumping exsercices , honestly i just want to know can i fix this or have i already started my quick route to heart failure.???
MY Pulmonologist told me today that the results of my echocardiogram showed that my Heart when it contracts, It doesn't then relax all the way .. He said this is nothing to worry about!! He said as we age  (I'm 56) this can happen.
Has anyone heard of this before? .. What does it mean in relation to others whos hearts do contract & relax normally?  I didn't think to ask the Dr. in the short time I had in my visit with him.
Now I am worried & like others .. I cant seem to stop thinking about it  ... pls help with an answer  tysm!
Has anyone heard of this before? .. What does it mean in relation to others whose hearts do contract & relax normally?  I didn't think to ask the Dr. in the short time I had in my visit with him.
I had the same exact symptoms. My heart would sometimes skip a beat and I would have a falling feeling in my chest. I also had many other symptoms, like nervousness,shortness of breath,restless legs when sleeping, fatigue,ect. I started a supplement program for my thyroid. I'm not sure if it was one of the supplements or all of the supplements together that fixed my problems, but everything was cured in 3 days. search for a PDF called the guide to suppIementing iodine from comcast.net.I did everything that described. I use 5 drops of Lugols 2% iodine every day, selenium, magnesium w/zinc, vitaman C, celtic sea salt, and ATP Cofactors. the first few days I felt terrible detox symptoms but after I feel great.
nurse yvonne: read about the vasculature in the large intestine and how pressure there can cause fainting.

Xanax is a short term anxiolytic. it does NOT take days or weeks to work, it works right away.

I recommend having a complete exam by your PCP. you can't live like this! not eating, and having bowel problems and obsessing about your pulse. also should consider having a sleep study to make sure you don't have obstructive sleep apnea, which can cause you to awaken gasping.

if all turns out ok, I would suggest walking to increase endorphin release and avoid medication. massage and meditation can be very helpful! best wishes,
suffered with anxiety almost 10 years ago. was scared of my own shadow! took anti depressents and it just went away. but about 7 months ago it came
back. out of no where. tried the anti depressents again but made me really
ill this time. so ill my boyfriend had to carry me into my gp. iam currently
taking valium when i need it. night times are the worst. when its quiet and
dark my brain just switches on and starts to imagine alsorts. iv been off work with it for 4 months now. iam currently suffering with this strange sweeping feeling in my chest. like someones just shot me with a dose of adrenaline.and a weird choking feeling in my throat. like i cant breath. i cant make plans with my boyfriend. he wants to go to his parents for xmas but i really cant manage it because i dont know how iam going to be from one day to the next(had a total meltdown the last time they came to stay with us) feel like i cant do anything.i got it into my head last week i was possessed and very nearly lost it! and keep thinking iam hearing voices.iv been refered for a psychiatric and medication review. iam really hoping to get some relief from all this. some days i want to die.if it wasnt for the love and support of my partner. who is amazing. i think i would be. it helps to know theres others like myself and iam not alone.
trying to keep positive that this will pass.
I feel exactly like this. i cannot believe it, everything you said was the same as it is for me, down to the 025 alprazolam. I see this was posted in 08 i would really like to know if you ever found anything wrong with you, or if it was the panic attacks.

I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you.
Amazing , I was trying to describe the feeling I get, and yes it felt like my heart dropped and I have to grab my chest and catch a breath. My left hand has been quite uncomfortable and tingle... so I think silly things, Parkinsons, heart attack, stroke..... so off to Google "heart drop" and here it is!
I have suffered from terrible anxiety for many years and it looks as though this is it, I have suffered most of the above symptoms and yes, I panic.
I am medicated for depression and high blood pressure... and I am due for a check up... but my anxiety has peaked. I will try the breathing exercises and I also use a calm spray which seems to see stop the drop happening every couple of minutes... good to know I'm not going mad!!!
Wow, count me in for that strange heart drop feeling. I'm a 25 year old female. I first experienced it two years ago after a traumatizing breakup. For that whole summer, I must've experienced this heart drop feeling over 100 times a day. It was continuous and extremely uncomfortable. Currently, I don't experience it as much but I do get it a few times a week. I had a job interview the other day and for the past few days, the drop feeling has returned. I'm assuming it is triggered by anxiety or some sort of stress? It's not painful and doesn't last for more than a second but I absolutely hate it every time it happens. I'm so glad to know I'm not the only one who experiences this.

Sometimes, I wake up in the middle of the night because I feel like I'm not breathing enough; like I've been holding my breath unconsciously while sleeping. I wonder if that's connected to the previously mentioned drop feeling? I also have a fear of going out to public places by myself. I have this strange feeling that people are judging me or I'm going to run into someone I know.
It really is great to learn that I am not alone...is anyone still on here?
With the exception of Jerry_NJ whi is a regular, I haven't seen any of these people post in a very long time.  But that's ok, because you're still not alone.  There's are bunch of us on here that have or have had problems similar to the ones being discussed here.  It is amazing when you see people discussing the same symptoms you're feeling and have thought you were the only one feeling them.  In my 54 year that I had my cardiac problem, I never met anyone else who had it. When I joined this forum, I ran into scores of people from all over the world with the same exact thing.  It's great to compare notes.  Hang around!
I, too, searched for "heart drop" and it led me hear as well.  I'm 32, and in decent shape.  less than 2 years ago, I had Myocarditis (an infection in the heart muscle that leads to the immune system inflaming the heart causing arrhythmia).  Went to the ER a couple days after the symptoms were already gone due to my Doctors Troponin level testing.  I felt find.  They thought I was having a Heart Attack, so a heart Cath was performed, was in the ER for 3 days and let out with "yes, you must have had a heart attack.  we don't see it, but it must be there".  A cardiac MRI was performed by a much better Cardiologist a month or 2 later to reveal Myocarditis.  During that 2 months, I talked to server docs that said, "it's anxiety".  I wanted to slap them.  And the medications from the first cardiologist  (Anti-Inflammatory and low dose blood pressure meds working) had my heart rate up from low 50s to anywhere between 80 and 90 resting.  Blood pressure through the roof, felt like my head was going to pop off.  Thank God for Dr. D!  He took me off that and put me on a high Aspirin regimen to control the inflammation.

I had chest sensations for over 2 years.  I believe I developed indigestion and even confused this with heart sensations as well.  For the most part, these have subsided.  I feel good.  With the exception of the "Drop" feeling.  I thought it may be associated with heart rate and blood pressure changes from THC, so I quit.  But I still get them.  AS stated by some, when bending over and sitting.  Just got back from a run, hadn't felt them all day, then happened about 4 times.  I'm convinced it is AVNRT at this point.  Maybe just 1 chamber, who knows.  I'm scheduling another follow-up with the Cardiologist and will request a Halter monitor if it doesn't happen when in the office.

But the Anxiety?  Yeah, I'm sure I have developed some anxiety throughout this whole ordeal.  But I'm so far away from anxious after running 2 or 3 miles.  Definitely wasn't anxious after catching a buzz from marijuana (I quit if  you missed that above).  And that's when it has happened the last couple times as well as just doing some common chores with my mind on nothing else.  So it isn't anxiety doing this.  No way.
Have you ever worn a Holter monitor? I get that dropped feeling from some of my PVCs. (They don't all feel the same) they are quite benign but extremely bothersome, maybe you could ask your doc if you should wear one. The Holter is a 24 to 48 hour monitor but there are ones you can wear upwards of a month and they will usually catch whatever's up if you wear one that long.
I think I should try one and I'm sure the cardiologist would go for that.  Also, maybe a stress test in the office would catch one or 2 during a cool down like I have been feeling lately.

From what I'm reading, AVNRT and PVCs are typically not life threatening, but if my Myocarditis is back, that can be if not treated.  I gotta get back in there and figure this out!
I'm going threw the same drop feeling so did you figure out what it was and if so what did they do
I'm going threw the i been to many off doctor heart doctor i had 24 days montor what can it be can somebody explain
Hormones caused from stres/chronic stress/ptsd can cause this. If you cannot cure yourself through living stress free, exercising daily, and eating properly then find an anti-depressant/anti anxiety that works for you until you can get your life into a better state.
i know what youre feeling. i know exactly how you are feeling. the heart feels like its barely beating and you cry because you dont know what to do. i get these when i am severely depressed, or feel like i want to die. i feel hopeless. i feel numb. tell me. are you depressed? do you feel depressed but think you are fine? i get what you mean. you try to breath, but you cant seem to get enough air in your lungs. your heart feels like its slowing down immensely. i have been researching and i think this might be heart palpitations. and if you feel this again, to call 911 immediately. i will get back to you soon about if it can actually kill you but if its so serious to call 911 then i think there is a possibility of death. email me
***@****
This is a terrible answer. This person is very likely not dying... also heart palpitations do not require you to immediately call 911, stop scaring people.
Did anybody figure what the strange drop feeling is in the chest
Could be vagus nerve stimulation through digestive issues or postural problems.. when your anxious you get tight and it aggravates it further... also anxiety messes up your digestive system cortisol reponse its just a huge chain reaction. I had some **** like that for a bit but now I get that drop feeling maybe once every 2 weeks and its from indigestion.. I also fixed myself using marijuana though.. be careful if your going to self medicate though for anxious people it can be scary until you get used to being high.. (it helps bc marijuana helps with digestive issues, stress and posture) And theres other options like fix your diet, exercise work on muscle imbalances and get busy with life and stop focusing on your body/ stressing out over it.. You have to remember its just an annoyance and nothing is wrong with you.
Stay strong one day you'll forget you ever had this ****** period if you learn to move on..  
I have the same feeling, with me it started like i was having a heart attack, i was so scared and could not breath. Every day i was feeling like i was about to die out of nowhere. I went to the doctor he said it was anxiety i was feeling that drop in the chest i was never relaxed then continued convincing me that i have throat cancer ... just as i moved out of it i was thinking about the lung cancer i am so not relaxed i dont know what to do ... any one felt like this before, please help me
Same thing with me. It's a terrifying feeling and every time I think back to having those feelings I feel stupid and weak. I ended up in the mental ward at least 3 times when I was having a panic attack and thought it was a heart attack. Now I know that in order to relieve it (naturally), I have to first realize that I'm having a panic attack. Next, I identify 3 things with each of my 5 senses--3 things I can touch, hear, taste, see, and smell. It helps to relieve my panic and anxiety, and I try to distract myself when I start to overanalyze everything my body is feeling. If you die, you just die--It wouldn't be painful because most people say it's like falling asleep. Whatever comes next is unknown and I apologize if I've offended your religious or spiritual beliefs.
I think the feeling we're all having is related to the central nervous system. I was on Ativan for the past few months. I passed out and had a seizure which has lead me to severe anxiety and depression. I've been in bed for the past few months due to the depression... it's been horrible. But back to the drop feeling, I didn't have it when I was on the Ativan. Had it before, and I just recently weened off Ativan and now I have it again.

I say it must be caused by the nervous system because Ativan suppresses the central nervous system which is what helps you relax when severely anxious. Since mine disappeared while on Ativan and came back after I quit I figure that's gotta be it. Doesn't mean everyone's is the same thing but most of the descriptions I've read are the same. So anything like Ativan, Xanax, Klonopin... benzos should provide relief. Problem is benzos can be real dangerous if taken long term... so be careful. I had pretty bad withdrawal from low dose Ativan I only took for a few months. Great drugs but they can cause serious problems if your body becomes dependent.

Take care and God bless
You have just described ME! I am 65 years old and have been putting up with this for years. But I do not have panic attacks nor ever taken Xanax or anything else. I was diagnosed with mitral valve prolapse when I was very young, so I have attributed it to that. The only other thing I do is to cough several times when it is bad. It does seem to help as though it is jetting my heart back to normal.
could be MVP Mitral valve prolapse. This is when the valve that feeds your heart is further down into the heart rather than back up in the artery. sometimes with heavy work or even crouching down will cause what they call regurgitation. this is when the blood from the chamber flows backwards out the in valve. this created a pulling sensation on the sides of the heart wall giving you a :bump:feeling.  This issue is not uncommon and usually is be-nine. however in severe cases it can result in the need for a valve transplant.
this issue is hard for the doctor to diagnose being usually when your at the doctor this issue isn't showing its self. I myself got them to attach the heart monitor then crouched down a few times so they could record it.
Hey, I've been having this exact feeling too and I'm only 15 years old. It really scares me when I get that "drop" feeling in my chest and it keeps me from sleeping. I believe I have anxiety, because I'm always worrying about everything, but I haven't been diagnosed with anything. My mom told me the feeling I get in my chest is just heart palpitations which is something I get with my Anemia because I am anemic. But it still scares me and I get it randomly. Sometimes I will get pain in my heart too and I just get so scared. I don't know what to do. If anyone has any ideas on what this could be, I would love to read it. Any advice or information will be helpful. Thanks. Glad I'm not the only one feeling this! Just hoping its nothing serious.
ooooof. how awful! I feel your pain. I have health anxiety in combo with PVC's and I've been able to convince myself of some real doozies over the last decade. When I'm going through an anxious time in my life (going back to school would qualify) I can manifest all types of strange symptoms. Did your cardiologist run a holter on you? if not, that could help to ease your mind. I think it's important to seek that peace of mind, but also be reasonable in your quest. At some point we have to learn to trust our doctors and to try and relinquish control on issues that are out of our hands. easier said than done, I'm still working on that myself. I'm sure it helps to know that you are not alone.
I have  lots of these symptoms does that mean I have anxiety  
It is absolutely insane how you have described my symptoms to a T!!!! I was diagnosed with Panic Disorder about a year ago and have been on Sertraline (Zoloft) ever since. It helps me a lot and I have less panic but I do still dive so deep into my mind with every heart beat I feel and every flutter. My HR can be as low as 48 sometimes and I just don't wanna move either... I am 29 and this all started for me because I would wake up in the middle of the night and feel like my heart was racing but in reality, I had a normal HR and then the panic attack would hit. I never think I'm dying in the moment and during the attacks I'm relatively calm physically but I am afraid I will die soon and my heart will fail me soon. Eating helps but eating too much or greasy foods etc, can cause palpable beats naturally. When I'm active, I feel best because I think I'm preoccupied. It's funny because my fingers are on my throat a million times a day and I check my fit but an unhealthy amount as though I can do something in the moment. I always just self talk myself into disparity and feel pains that bounce around my chest and neck and heart burn and GERD and constopation that turns to diarrhea. I also have sleep apnea which doesn't help. Every time I got to the doctor they say I have a textbook heart and everything's fine. So perhaps we should trust our doctors and not google the life out of ourselves.. maybe we're spending so much time being afraid that dying wouldn't matter much anyways... sometimes I just hope I have a heart attack and then it would just be done and then I panic and freak out and back to square one... I don't know if this helped but it helps me to know that other people have the same thing.. so yeah.. I hope everything works out! Good luck!
Thanks for posting this koz people think that I am crazy koz the say I look good there is nothing wrong with me
And it's not true this symptom takes my life
I am scared to to do things
My doctor said when that happens just to music but its not that easy .
Talkin to myself help
Or having someone on the phone
Talking to me but it's hard