Heart Rhythm Expert Forum
Strange pulse feeling in different parts of body

Questions in the Heart Rhythm forum cover topics that include heart rhythm issues, arrhythmia, irregular heartbeat, implanted defibrillators, pacemakers, and tachycardia.

I am a 33yo male. For the last 6 months or so I have regularly felt strong pulses around my body, ranging from my right abdomen (around diaphragm), outside of right & left foot, left lower back, right elbow, left shoulder and left arm. These pulses don't seem to be my actual heartbeat as seem to be a different pattern (it is almost a popping sensation), however I have a strong normal pulse in my hands and I can often feel the blood circulation in them. I think my heartbeat itself is fairly normal, although i have had no significant tests to prove otherwise. I recently had an endoscopy to confirm gastritis diagnosis and as a result had my heartrate and blood pressure taken, both which were fine apparently. I generally feel ok, with healthy energy levels, but am worried that these strange beats I am getting are a sign of a heart problem. I have been very anxious about my health recently (not through much foundation), and have had tension headaches, and gastritis I beleive mostly due to health anxiety and also starting my own business stress so wonder if this maybe related. The most unnerving is when I get strange beats in my abdomen. This started when I used to get a flutter sensation in my chest, however this seems to have long disappeared.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.
It sounds like you are on the right track.  I agree that the pulsation feelings do not sound cardiac --  I can't think of a circumstance that you would feel it in your feet and not your chest.

The most likely cause of symptoms like this is stress.  It is possible that hyperthyroidism may causes some symptoms of a bounding pulse but not usually all over your body.  They other symptoms of gastritis and headache also support stress as a possible cause.  I would talk to your doctor about it.  If they agree, there might be a medication to help you deal with the stress. It might also help to exercise daily as a way to help relieve the stress.

I hope this helps.
Thank you for your answer, it helps a lot. I believe it is stress also - but good to have the opinion of a professional.

One thing which maybe I didn't explain well - I can feel my heartbeat in my chest fairly clearly most of the time (always have been able to) but generally (particularly when I feel it in my left arm and right abdomen) my heartbeat does not seem to be the same as the "beats" i am feeling
I think you explained that well.  It does not sound related to heart rhythm or heart beat.  I still think is more common to notice things like that when you are under stress.  As always, it is best to talk to your doctor because face to face time is very important.
Does this ever happen to you after you exert yourself or exercise?  Ever since I was a teenager, if I walked a good distance, or exercised, I ALWAYS get this popping pulsating sensation all over my body, especially in my upper thighs/butt (LOL) but also in my calves, sometimes abs and arms.  It's definitely not my heartbeat, they are not coordinated with eachother and are not in sync with my actual heartbeat.

I have no idea what this is or why I get it, I'm so used to it at this point I don't think anything of it anymore.  The best way to describe it is like popcorn popping in various areas of my body - like a popping sensation...?

Don't know if that helps or if I just shared weird info with you, LOL, but I hope that helps some.
A related discussion, I can hear my heart beat in my right ear was started.
A related discussion, Pulses throughout body was started.
A related discussion, pulse feeling was started.
I've been getting pulse like symptoms almost like the feeling when you are pregnant down the left side of my stomach (which I've checked recently due to the above and I'm not) and it's been happening for the last 2 weeks. It feels like a mini heart beat?!
A related discussion, Unusual Rhythm was started.
A related discussion, Strange beating all over body was started.