HEART RHYTHM
FORUM
Strange pulse feeling in different parts of body
by tfgbkent, Jan 06, 2009
I am a 33yo male. For the last 6 months or so I have regularly felt strong pulses around my body, ranging from my right abdomen (around diaphragm), outside of right & left foot, left lower back, right elbow, left shoulder and left arm. These pulses don't seem to be my actual heartbeat as seem to be a different pattern (it is almost a popping sensation), however I have a strong normal pulse in my hands and I can often feel the blood circulation in them. I think my heartbeat itself is fairly normal, although i have had no significant tests to prove otherwise. I recently had an endoscopy to confirm gastritis diagnosis and as a result had my heartrate and blood pressure taken, both which were fine apparently. I generally feel ok, with healthy energy levels, but am worried that these strange beats I am getting are a sign of a heart problem. I have been very anxious about my health recently (not through much foundation), and have had tension headaches, and gastritis I beleive mostly due to health anxiety and also starting my own business stress so wonder if this maybe related. The most unnerving is when I get strange beats in my abdomen. This started when I used to get a flutter sensation in my chest, however this seems to have long disappeared.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.
Answer:
It sounds like you are on the right track.  I agree that the pulsation feelings do not sound cardiac --  I can't think of a circumstance that you would feel it in your feet and not your chest.

The most likely cause of symptoms like this is stress.  It is possible that hyperthyroidism may causes some symptoms of a bounding pulse but not usually all over your body.  They other symptoms of gastritis and headache also support stress as a possible cause.  I would talk to your doctor about it.  If they agree, there might be a medication to help you deal with the stress. It might also help to exercise daily as a way to help relieve the stress.

I hope this helps.
Member Comments (4)
by tfgbkent, Jan 06, 2009
Thank you for your answer, it helps a lot. I believe it is stress also - but good to have the opinion of a professional.

One thing which maybe I didn't explain well - I can feel my heartbeat in my chest fairly clearly most of the time (always have been able to) but generally (particularly when I feel it in my left arm and right abdomen) my heartbeat does not seem to be the same as the "beats" i am feeling
I think you explained that well.  It does not sound related to heart rhythm or heart beat.  I still think is more common to notice things like that when you are under stress.  As always, it is best to talk to your doctor because face to face time is very important.
by nervouslady, Jan 07, 2009
Does this ever happen to you after you exert yourself or exercise?  Ever since I was a teenager, if I walked a good distance, or exercised, I ALWAYS get this popping pulsating sensation all over my body, especially in my upper thighs/butt (LOL) but also in my calves, sometimes abs and arms.  It's definitely not my heartbeat, they are not coordinated with eachother and are not in sync with my actual heartbeat.

I have no idea what this is or why I get it, I'm so used to it at this point I don't think anything of it anymore.  The best way to describe it is like popcorn popping in various areas of my body - like a popping sensation...?

Don't know if that helps or if I just shared weird info with you, LOL, but I hope that helps some.
by catnhat1, May 16, 2009
A related discussion, I can hear my heart beat in my right ear was started.
by markymark122, Aug 06, 2009
A related discussion, Pulses throughout body was started.
by markymark122, Aug 06, 2009
by chics233, Jan 17, 2010
A related discussion, pulse feeling was started.