Heart Rhythm Expert Forum
Strong visible pulse at center of neck

Questions in the Heart Rhythm forum cover topics that include heart rhythm issues, arrhythmia, irregular heartbeat, implanted defibrillators, pacemakers, and tachycardia.

Strong visible pulse at center of neck

25 m, fit.. no cholesterol.. I actually been having two  problems:

1) I can always see a heartbeat at the center, lower part of my neck.. it isnt fast or slow .. just that the pulse is clearly visible.. (neck goes out and in). I read that this might be related to some problems with the actual heart (like pressure problems)... is that true?
2) I sometimes feel pain in my left arm at rest .. although i jog each day for almost 2 miles and when i jog the pain goes away .. i know this is atypical angina pain but i am concerned for the pain in my left arm
The left arm pain has been going on for almost a year now and 8 months ago i went to see a cardiologist .. he did a stress test w/echo wich came out fine .. but the pulse in my neck is new ..
Should I be concerned about this strong pulse? (if im sitting and stand up quickly it becomes even more visible).
Thank you a lot ..
Hi Tarek,

It is kind of funny you mention finding the pulsation in your neck.  When I was in college my college roommate saw his neck was pulsating and he convinced himself he was dying.  It is normal to some pulsation in the neck, especially in thin people.  The pulsations related to heart failure refer to the neck veins.  Have your doctor look at it the next time you see them.  Someone would need to look at to know for sure, but it sounds normal.

2) I sometimes feel pain in my left arm at rest .. although i jog each day for almost 2 miles and when i jog the pain goes away .. i know this is atypical angina pain but i am concerned for the pain in my left arm  The left arm pain has been going on for almost a year now and 8 months ago i went to see a cardiologist .. he did a stress test w/echo wich came out fine .. but the pulse in my neck is new ..

Angina does not get better with exercise.  If you have negative stress test, are 25 years old and left arm pain that gets better with exercise, you do not have angina.  It is hard to tell what the pain is from but it doesn't sound like your heart.

Increased heart rate and contractility is normal when you go from sitting to standing.  This further suggests it is an arterial pulse and is normal.

Hope this helps.  Thanks for posting.
I can also see my pulse there and lots of other places, always have done.
Thank you Dr MJM.. I will check with my doctor regarding this pulsating neck as you recommended.

Regards,
Tarek