Sudden, rapid heart beat and nausea with routine exercise
I was working out today (as I do daily), at a reduced intensity than usual (usual HR is 160ish, today's avg hr was 138). I'm 35 y/o, resting hr is 56. While slowing down to reverse direction on the elliptical, my heart rate went from 135 to 150 within 2-3 seconds. I also immediately felt sick to my stomach and my heart had a rapid and irregular beat. I was diagnosed with a 'congenital heart defect' last month, but haven't seen the cardiologist yet. Am I ok? lol I worry about the intensity of my exercise (I have always tried to work out at my max intensity possible - this is the reason I'm decreasing intensity). Is it possible for me to have a stroke or heart attack with these symptoms? Thanks!
Yes, do see a doctor and get specific advice on how "hard" to exercise.  Remember, even light exercise such as walking is good exercise, it isn't necessary to get the HR up to 160 (at your age) to get exercise.

I have had similar experience, before I stopped running for exercise, but my high heart rate was because I went back into atrial fibrillation... a condition I had under control, or thought I did.

In any case, if the HR has slowed when you are not "working out" you should be fine to just make an appointment with your doctor, primary care may be the best place to start, save going to a cardiologist until your primary care doctor thinks it is necessary.  Here I assume your primary care can do an EKG check on your heart.

Try not to worry, but, if you resting HR is high, I'll estimate that to be over 130 it may be best to get immediate check done, at the hospital ER or a clinic.  We have "walk in" clinics where I live that are open 7 days a week until 10 PM.