Heart Rhythm Expert Forum
Sudden Fluttering Feeling In Chest
About This Forum:

Questions in the Heart Rhythm forum cover topics that include heart rhythm issues, arrhythmia, irregular heartbeat, implanted defibrillators, pacemakers, and tachycardia.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Sudden Fluttering Feeling In Chest

I occasionally get a feeling behind the middle of my chest (breastbone) that feels like a sudden vibrating flutter for the duration of seconds (1-2 seconds) sometimes followed quickly by another episode, then is gone. While this fluttering is happening, I feel like it forces me to temporarily stop breathing, and sometimes causes me to cough. I started having this many years ago, and sometimes I'll go many months without it at all, then other times I'll have a couple episodes per day.
I do have lung disease (CF), and I tried explaining this to my doc, and they said it sounds like it is a bronchospasm. But after reading up on it, I'm not so sure that I was explaining the feeling correctly, because this is a sudden thing, that quickly goes away.

So now of course I'm worrying that it's a problem with my heart rhythm. I haven't been feeling great lately, and I'm attempting to get to the bottom of it all. I am certainly going through a very anxious time, with panic attacks, nervousness, etc.

Some time ago I did have an EKG done which was normal, although it wasn't for this reason. Would this have found any irregular rhythms ? Or would it be a different test that would be needed ?

Does this sound like it may be an atrial fibrilation problem, or some other heart rhythm problem ? Are these diseases constant ongoing irregular rhythms, or can they arise suddenly and quickly go away as I describe ?

Is there reason to be really concerned, or is this just another symptom of my anxious behavior ?

Thanks for any information !