Heart Rhythm Expert Forum
Sudden Fluttering Feeling In Chest

Questions in the Heart Rhythm forum cover topics that include heart rhythm issues, arrhythmia, irregular heartbeat, implanted defibrillators, pacemakers, and tachycardia.

Sudden Fluttering Feeling In Chest

I occasionally get a feeling behind the middle of my chest (breastbone) that feels like a sudden vibrating flutter for the duration of seconds (1-2 seconds) sometimes followed quickly by another episode, then is gone. While this fluttering is happening, I feel like it forces me to temporarily stop breathing, and sometimes causes me to cough. I started having this many years ago, and sometimes I'll go many months without it at all, then other times I'll have a couple episodes per day.
I do have lung disease (CF), and I tried explaining this to my doc, and they said it sounds like it is a bronchospasm. But after reading up on it, I'm not so sure that I was explaining the feeling correctly, because this is a sudden thing, that quickly goes away.

So now of course I'm worrying that it's a problem with my heart rhythm. I haven't been feeling great lately, and I'm attempting to get to the bottom of it all. I am certainly going through a very anxious time, with panic attacks, nervousness, etc.

Some time ago I did have an EKG done which was normal, although it wasn't for this reason. Would this have found any irregular rhythms ? Or would it be a different test that would be needed ?

Does this sound like it may be an atrial fibrilation problem, or some other heart rhythm problem ? Are these diseases constant ongoing irregular rhythms, or can they arise suddenly and quickly go away as I describe ?

Is there reason to be really concerned, or is this just another symptom of my anxious behavior ?

Thanks for any information !
Would this have found any irregular rhythms ? Or would it be a different test that would be needed ?

Usually you need a longer monitor period than what is seen on a 12 lead EKG.  

It sounds like you need to go to a doctor, tell them you feel like you are having skipped beats and get a 24 hour monitor so you can correlate the symptoms with the rhythm.  It will answer the question and then you won't waste time researching a question that can only be answered with a monitor.

Does this sound like it may be an atrial fibrilation problem, or some other heart rhythm problem ?

Sounds like it is probably a premature beat, atrial or ventricular. The only way to know is with a monitor.

Are these diseases constant ongoing irregular rhythms, or can they arise suddenly and quickly go away as I describe ?

Disease is a strong word.  These extra beats can be singular or constant depending on the cause.

I don't think there is a reason to be concerned, but it is difficult to get an answer and ease your fears.  Talk to you doctor about extra beats and ask them if you can wear a monitor to figure out what they are.  You will likely be reassured to know that they are only premature ventricular beats, but the only way to know is a monitor.

I hope this helps.
1 Comment
A related discussion, Fluttering in chest was started.