Heart Rhythm Expert Forum
Sudden increase in heart rate exercising

Questions in the Heart Rhythm forum cover topics that include heart rhythm issues, arrhythmia, irregular heartbeat, implanted defibrillators, pacemakers, and tachycardia.

Post
Pammie1526

01/04/08
    I have had 2 episodes while taking a spinning class where after about 20-30minutes of exercise and carefully keeping my heart rate no more that 118 to 123 that I get a little light headed (once had pressure in my head) my heart rate quickly jumped up to 155 within 30 seconds.  

I was prudent and stopped and walked around until I felt better.  Last night I just got up to about 112 and it shot up to 132 quickly.  I am not really out of breath.  I am wondering if I am psyching myself out now or if this is something to worry about. I hate to quit exercising but now I am a little gun shy. However just 2 days ago I walked a mile and a half or so at about 112 to 118 and had no problem.

I am 63 F and have been exercising moderately for at least a year at a club. and have always walked or run or swam very moderately. Thank you for your comments

I doubt it is anything to worry about but I would talk to your doctor, if for no other reason than that this is going to affect your work outs until you know you are ok.  If I saw a patient like yourself in clinic, I would do an exercise stress test to evaluate your heart rate response and rule out blockages.  The odds of you having blockages with the symptoms you describe is low, but if you are going to work out frequently, it is safer to know.

If the stress test is normal (as it probably will be) I would put you on a monitor --- they type would depend on the frequency of your symptoms.  The reason for the monitor is to determine what your heart rhythm is when  you are having symptoms.

The goal is evaluate your symptoms and get you back to working out with the confidence that everything is ok.

I hope this helps.
1 Comment
A related discussion, Excercise induced sudden rise/sudden fall was started.