Heart Rhythm Expert Forum
Tachycardia and Red Pepper

Questions in the Heart Rhythm forum cover topics that include heart rhythm issues, arrhythmia, irregular heartbeat, implanted defibrillators, pacemakers, and tachycardia.

Tachycardia and Red Pepper

I've had trouble with tachycardia and anxiety off and on for years, but have felt well for about a year.  This afternoon I had one of my old tacyhcardia sessions, resting pulse from 90 to 120, and after going for a short walk my pulse hit 150.  That seemed strange and disappointing after feeling fine for so long.

One thing I noted this time.  I used to eat a lot of crushed red pepper, like on pasta with olive oil.  I haven't had that in ages, but I ate it for lunch today.  With Google, I found an old medical article (1917) saying that tachycardia was sometimes brought on by "dilation of the stomach" and particularly by red pepper.  Really?

Is it possible what I ate contributed to or caused my tachycardia today?  Is there any modern association of red pepper allergy or reaction with this condition?
I have never heard of this before.
The best that I can say is that if it is a repeat offender, I would eliminate it from your diet.  The problem now is that you are consciously worried about it and anxiety could do the same thing.
Very true.  Anxiety is at the center of a lot of these kinds of cases I suspect.  But in any case, I think red pepper is off the menu.
Red Pepper contains capcaisin which tricks the mouth into thinking it is on fire when it really isnt. I could see how this could cause a rush of adrenalin which would raise the heart rate in some people. Oddly enough I have read some articles which seem to indicate it also dialtes the blood vesels and could actually lower blood pressure. this too could cause a jump in heart rate in some persons.
I am convinced of the correlation between the stomach and heart rythm, regardless of what any doctor says.  I have seen the study you mentioned and have found other earlier studies stating coorelations. I also suffer from Tachy and ectopic beats.  I can induce and worsen them simply by diet. I'm not sure why with some doctors the connection seems so strange.