Heart Rhythm Community
Tachycardia only when waking up from nap or sleep EVERY DAY!!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to heart rhythm issues, arrhythmia, irregular heartbeat, implanted defibrillators, pacemakers, and tachycardia.

I am 24, and for the past 3 weeks have been having tachycardia when waking up from a short nap or from a long nights sleep EVERY SINGLE DAY FOR THE PAST 3 WEEKS. I was waking up at night with the same problem but was prescribed xanax, the night episodes have stopped but the tachycardia when waking up from naps or sleep have continued ( mighth be gettting worse, I don't know) Does anyone know what I might have? I am very scared. I don't have health insurance so if anyone know what kind of specialist I need to see and what tests I might need done. Also if you guys know what condition I might have. THANK YOU FOR ANY COMMENTS/SUGGESTIONS!
What is your HR when you awake?  If 80-90 I wouldn't be particularly worried, but you may know as you are using the word that Tachycardia is generally defined as 100+ for the ventricle rate.  Do you have any other symptoms, irregularity, shortness of breath, does you HR drop back when at rest after you are up and about for a period of time?

The problem would be best diagnosed by a cardiologist.  They cost a bit more than a GP doctor, but are best able to diagnose heart conditions. A GP doctor would likely just refer you to a cardiologist anyway.  All tests are extra cost item, like a simple Electrocardiogram.  It would also be best if you could be examined when the condition is active, i.e., if you heart settles down after you are moving around, the doctor may not find anything "wrong" with an office visit and EKG.
I run everyday and maybe have 19% body fat, I am 6'5 and weigh 230, my heart rate when resting is between 60-70, when I wake up from a nap or sleep, my heart rate rranges from 150-180, it might even be twithcing, I can;t really tell. I was taking epinephrine for my asthma ( over the counter inhaler that I now know causes heart problems) for 2 and a half years about 2-4 times daily. This all started happening to me 3 weeks ago, my doctor rx xanax andn stopped the waking up in the middle of the night, but anytime I take a nap or fall asleep and wake up, it geeks out really bad. Is this life threatening?
Sounds like you have a basically strong cardio-vascular system, 60-70 is a great rest rate for anyone over 60...wish mine would slow down, I'm lucky to get into the 70s and that's with a BB.  I'm 69, about 6'6" and getting shorter and about 235 pounds,..was around 225-230 on a good day when still running.  It is hard to burn those "extra" calories without running.  

I don't have any idea on the specific cause, but I have read of the high HR problem on this forum/community in the past.  You may be able to find some good threads by searching on "high heart rate when waking up"..or something similar if that string doesn't work. Too, someone with a similar history may come on line and read this thread...thus adding more helpful information.

I read your post to say you've had a discussion with your doctor, that and the fact your heart settles down once you are up and around would lead me to conclude you are not under any immediate life threat...that's my opinion, but further checks with a cardiologist would be a good strategy, I think.

Happy new year with a heart working "just right".  
Hi Alan!   I've experienced tachycardia when waking from naps and night sleep.  I did find out that it had a lot to do with stress and anxiety.  What are the first things through your mind when you actually wake up?  Are you instantly aware of your heart and what its doing?  I've found solving the problem is instead of rushing to conclusions with irrational self-diagnosing/thoughts or being in fear of having a heart attack (very unlikely at your age), is to think if rational thoughts and trying to relax and comprehend that the episode of fast heart beats are normal and are not going to kill you.

I used to start pacing the floors (walking in circles) because of the fear that the tachycardia brought on, which made the episodes last for way to much longer than what they should, and after looking back at what the triggers were, is it was the fact of waking up from sleep (you are in a heightened state already). Sometimes fear rushes in quicker than it should sending your heart racing almost immediately when you first wake up.  Napping and Sleeping is a good way for the body to detoxify itself, and if you are anxious throughout the day with irrational thoughts, when you to get to sleep, your body is extremely relaxed and free of adrenaline.  So when you wake up.  BAM!  instant shot of adrenaline, instant heart rate of 150+.

Another thing to consider sometimes when taking you pulse, is even though you might think your heart is beating 220-230bpm it could be HALF that rate.  Which in your case around 110-120, which is very very fast heart rate.  Sometimes when we take our pulse, or our heart is beating very fast 130-150, the atrial and ventrical contractions are felt in our pulse.  Sometimes its beating so hard and fast that you feel your heart in your chest, and its difficult to take your pulse from another spot on the body.

All I'm saying to you is try to take a rational approach to your situation.  I hope this helps you in some form or fashion... Zach
I've had this problem before - very fast heart rate on waking up from naps - and also waking me up in the middle of the night -- I have had it for years on and off - it started when I was in my late thirties  - had the tests (ECG, echo and Holter) and nothing was found amiss.  Recently I have been diagnosed with RVOT-VT although medication is suppressing this.  I am going to see my cardiologist again in January and will ask again about the cause.  Hope it helps that others have experienced it too and know what you are talking about.
I just found this site. For the last year I've been waking up with a HR of 160. Even before I get out of bed it starts to rise. When I'm standing it's higher so I simply sit for 1/2-2 hours until it goes down. I feel awful. I'm nauseas and very weak. Sometimes I'm weak all day. All my cardio tests have come up fine and the doctor put me on Lopressor, 75 mg a day. It feels good to know I'm not alone. I go to the cardiologist every 3 weeks until we can get this under control(it's been 3 months). The nurse mentioned POST. My BP is always very low and I'm also on Midodrine. My heart rate can be 150 and my BP is 80/60. This is very scary. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
I've problem  very fast heart rate on waking up from naps - and also waking me up in the middle of the night -- I have had it for last one month . In ECG, nothing was found. Can any body tell me how to overcame this problem.
Just curious..... when you wake up with a fast heartbeat, how long does it last before it goes back to a normal rate? Does it just stop and go back to normal or slowly go back to normal?
I just want to sympathize....it is 3:30 am where I am and here I am because I can't/am afraid to go back to sleep because my heart woke me up :o( I just recently had echo/holter which my diagnosis was PAC's only.  So now that I have this new symptom, I am very uneasy. :o( I rolled over and felt my heart pounding in my chest and sat up and it was 150 BPM.  I tried really hard not to panic (I have anxiety/panic disorder) and after about 30 minutes and some water, it went back down...only thing is, I'm afraid to go back to sleep...anyone else??
hello everyone!!! my heart beats really fast just about every morning after getting out of bed!!!! also after eating ir beats fast most of the time to !!! i'm at my roads end!!! any advice would help!!!!!!!!!!!
I suggest anyone who hasn't had a holter monitor yet to request one because then your cardiologist/electrophysiologist will see how your heart is throughout the day including when you sleep. They ask you to keep a log of activities and going to sleep/waking up is one of the activities you are required to write down. Since tachycardia when waking up is your only problem, a 24-hour monitor might be given to you so it's just a day of wearing that thing. Wear one for a day and turn in the results so you can feel at ease.
It is so reassuring that other people are having this too. I am actually dealing with it at the moment. It happens every morning and causes me to be late to class because I'm scared to get ready too fast and raise my heart rate any higher. I've been battling with anxiety and panic disorder for 6 years and it has become extremely debilitating. This problem just started to be everyday about a month ago. Its gotten to the point where I have panic attacks when I'm trying to go to sleep because I know that I'm going to wake up with this again. I'm seeing a therapist and taking zoloft but neither seem to help. Does anyone have tips on how to make this stop or at least control it?
I also have this problem of tachycardia upon waking from naps and sleep... I also notice that my heart beat is not only fast but irregular.  I know it can not be my thyroid as that has been disabled, when I was diagnosed ten or more years ago with GRAVES DISEASE.  I experienced similar symptoms when I had the Graves.  Stress is my middle name, but I find it hard to believe that this is due to only stress and not some kind of clinical basis.
I know exactly how that feels. It is almost 2am and I have been awake for over an hour. I wake up with my heart going so fast that I am so scared I'm going to die and start freaking out. I am afraid to move or get up. When I finally do, I go take Propanaol. After awhile it drops, but I am still scared to move or go back to sleep. I have three little one 4yrs and under and another one on the way. I get scared that somethings going to happen and no one will know and my little ones will be scared. What do I do?
I wonder if obstructive sleep apnea could be at play here?  I have it and even tho I use a CPAP machine, I sometimes still wake with a rapid, sometimes irregular heartbeat.  Just a thought . . .
I am in the exact boat as you.  I am home with my young son and scared I'll pass out or die from an attack and nobody will know for hours.  In my sleep deprived desperation I get panic attacks during the fast heart beat, and start to hit my chest (which I know I shouldnt and its not that hard) because I get so desperate for it to stop.  Have you found out what was going on?  Last night was the last straw.  I'm too scared to not do anything anymore.  I'm hopefully seeing a  cardiologist this week.   I  hope you're doing better, and that your pregnancy is/was going well.  

Please look into Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome (POTS). It is a very unheard of nervous system disorder that prevents the body from being able to properly adjust to the pull of gravity. Therefore, symptoms arise, such as: rapid heart rate upon standing, low or high blood pressure, dizziness, fainting, fatigue, sweating, headaches, shortness of breath, inability to exercise, digestion problems, etc. The symptoms are endless and vary person to person day to day.

Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

Best wishes,
Brandi
I get the same feeling, and have small children too!  I'm so terrified my heart is going to give out on me in the wee hours of the morning and I won't be able to take care of them or see them again.  I wake up  and my heart is just beating so hard out of my chest, it's doing like 150-160.  My doctor won't take me seriously either.  I called to make an appt for Friday and the lady in the dr office just said, you have an appt on Monday and the doctor WILL NOT see you until then.  I know she thinks I'm crazy, and right now I have no insurance, so I don't really know what to do--I cannot dr. shop.  I am severely hoping that the dr. will listen to me  when I go in and not dismiss me as psychologically unbalanced.  She's ran tests, and the only thing that comes back is Inappropriate Sinus Tachycardia.  I would really like a beta blocker to kind of help with the symptoms I'm experiencing, and I hope she listens.  If she doesn't, I don't know what I'll do.
Have you had your thyroid levels checked.  A rate of 150-160 does sound like inappropriate sinus tachycardia and a lot of times that is caused by something outside the heart.  I might also check into any stomach issues.  If you are having any sort of acid reflux it could be irritating the heart into beating fast.  I would suggest when you feel the heart starting to beat fast drink a big glass of water or two to see if that helps.  It does with me.  As for the doctor just be perrsistent with the issue imparting on them that it is disrupting your life and you will get the help you need.  Though it is likely whatever it is is very possibly from an external cause.  Your heart is a very strong resilient muscle that can handle a lot.  A rate of 150-160 would need to be beating for an extended period of time non stop for you to truly be in any physical danger.  The heart can tolerate the rate but that doesn't mean you have to.  So just be your own best advocate but try not to stress too much as that could be making it worse. Just remind yourself you are not in any mortal danger and try to relax as best you can and drink the water when the symptoms appear and it should help to calm the heart down.  Then just keep persisting to get to the bottom of the cause of the beat.  Good luck and stay strong.  Keep us posted on how you are doing.
It's now 2013, I'm 66 and just reading this. About 10 years ago I started having a rapid heartbeat just out of the blue. Rates like 180bpm - scared me to death. I wore a holter monitor and was awakened with a racing heart. I went to a cardiologist and found I had three kinds of tachys going on. A PVT (polymorphic ventricular tachycardia), SVT (supraventricular tachycardia), and PVC (premature ventricular contractions). I was put on beta blockers but the rapid heartbeat would come through. Eventually I had a cathether ablation which solved the problem and haven't had an "out of the blue" heartbeat since. In looking back, I think it started with my dentist using epinephrine when he worked on my teeth.

Unfortunately, I just had oral dental surgery and the doctor insisted on using epinephrine and I'm noticing an elevated pounding in my chest that I now need to get checked. Hope you were able to get your problems solved.
I personally experience also rapid heart rate in the morning when waking up. Not VERY rapid, but anyway, (much) more rapid that in all the other moments of the day. Sometimes also after a nap. I think - I'm pretty sure that it has to do with adrenal hormones, particularly cortisol which is released around 3 am and arrives at its peak around 6-7-8 am. Cortisol and catecholamines ( adrenaline) are synergic. So, probably adrenaline is the answer. You should lower your cortisol, nd I should try to do the same.