Tachycardia with stomach virus
Hi.  I recently had a nasty bout with the norovirus (stomach flu) which was a brutal 12 hours or so.  After my stomach had settled I noticed while I was lying in bed that my heart rate was close about 108 - 120 bpm.  Now my normal resting pulse rate is about 57-60 bpm.  I did have a fever of about 100.1-100.5 degrees Fahrenheit.  The advice nurse suggested I drink more fluids as dehydration could have been a cause.  I drank some gatorade and water and about 45 minutes later the heart rate was down to about 88-90 bmp...still well above my average and at this point I was peeing clear so I definitely was not dehydrated.  Is this cause for concern or possibly indicative of something more serious, in terms of cardiovascular related issues.  

As a side note I had 3 vasovagal reactions during the 1st few diarrhea bouts but I immediately went to the bed, got horizontal and put my feet up and never actually fainted....but I got VERY close to fainting and had all the classic symptoms of vasovagal syncope--dizziness, intense amounts of sweat, face turning white, etc.  This was also puzzling as hell to me but apparently some people (like me I guess) can have their vasovagal nerve stimulated during gastoinstenitis times or times of diarrhea--though I have never once felt faint when having ordinary diarrhea in the past.  This diarrhea was associated w/a stomach virus however and I did vomit a couple times early in the sequence...after vomiting it was diarrhea only thereafter.    

Anyhow if anyone has any insight I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,
James
You didn't mention your age, but in any case/age a HR under 120 for a short period of time, especially when under stress, would not be of any concern in my mind.

Are you doing better now?  If you heart is returning to normal, I suggest just putting the whole thing out of your mind.
Hello~Sometimes having a fever can cause the rapid heart rate, even if you do drink a lot of water. I know when I am sick, all I need to do is count my pulse, and sure enough, when it is high, I have a fever too.

Your vasovagal reactions could be associated with the flu symptoms. It could be that acid reflux is causing this reaction and since you are not feeling well, the symptoms are magnified. The tummy can make you very sick when it is not well.

Just keep track of everything, if you notice all symptoms are getting better, try to relax and forget about it, however, if they get worse, see the doc.
Hi Jerry, hi Sassy.   I did forget to mention my age.  I'm 36.  My HR eventually did return to normal after a while.  Seemed either the fever or mild dehydration (or both) and possibly even just having a virus was the culprit.  It's kinda scary when your heart is beating that fast.  While just resting, but you were right....putting it out of my mind and just letting things return to normal was good advice.  The body never ceases to amaze me.   One thing I've noticed is that no matter what you think or how you feel, you tend to bounce back to a normal state eventually, so there's no need to stress--even though that's MUCH easier said than done at the time.  Hind sight is 20/20 after all.  You both were right....just relax and wait through it.  I'll try hard to remember that the next time something like this comes up.  Thank you both for your help.  
Thanks for your post.  I've been dealing with stomach + syncope-like (fainted all the way only once, and the rest of the times sounded just like what you described!) for about two months now.  It gives me a lot of hope.  At the age of 24, I went in for dozens of tests, and everything showed normal functioning and no tumors.  The body is amazing.  So, I also had some constipation, which probably made it easier for me to have fainting episodes.  Questions: How did you finally get over the virus?  What was your diet like while you were on the virus?  
Hello Konakatrina,

Well it (the stomach virus) was 24 hours of sheer heel and another 24 hours of feeling pretty out of it (though the vomiting stopped), and after that I began to get my appetite back, and so I ate what I was craving (happened to be chicken at the time...I remember it well).  It's also a good idea to eat yogurt after a stomach flu as the cultures in yogurt will replenish what you lost while you were sick, and it's gentle on the stomach.  Anyway after eating and getting some calories in my energy levels went up and within no time I was completely back to normal.  

Your body tells you what you should do.  If it's nauseous it probably doesn't want to eat.  When it's ready you will know and you'll get cravings.  Start with bland food at first--bananas, rice, bread, etc, and build up to your normal diet.  Avoid fatty, heavy, spicy foods until you feel totally normal again.

Hang in there.  I PROMISE you this will pass soon and you'll feel like you again.  :)  

Wishing you an extra speedy recover,
James
It's quite normal to experience an elevated pluse when you have a fever.  Your body is trying to cool itself.
I had rapid heart rate issues and Dr wanted to start beta blocker, but I add a little Magnesium Citrate to breakfast and I haven't had issue since about 6 months now, its inexpensive and easy to test.