Heart Rhythm Expert Forum
Tachycardia

Questions in the Heart Rhythm forum cover topics that include heart rhythm issues, arrhythmia, irregular heartbeat, implanted defibrillators, pacemakers, and tachycardia.

Tachycardia

I get this fast heartbeat a couple of times a week for no reason.  I can just be sitting watching TV or sitting at my computer when it feels like a switch goes off in my heart and it starting going fast and hard for a few second like maybe 10 or 15 beats and then pauses and thumps and goes back to normal.  I have had this happen a couple of times this week and then it may go away for a few weeks and happens again.  It is like it has a mind of it's own and just goes wonky and then goes away.  I don't have anything wrong with my heart as I have been to a cardio and she says I am fine.  I was reading to see if it sounds like SVT or VT.  I am just worried it may be the VT.  What is the difference in the feelings between SVT and VT.  I am a 38 y/o female other than this thing I have going on I just get the old run of the mill PVC's and PAC's.  I don't do anything to stop it when it goes fast like this it just seems to stop on its own.  Do you think this is a reason for concern or does it sound okay to you.  It is a horrible feeling.  I don't want to go bother the cardio again if it sounds like it is no big deal.  I just get very anxious when it happens and I wait for it to happen again.  You are providing a wonderful services to us.  Thank you Doctor.
What is the difference in the feelings between SVT and VT.  

There is really no difference in the way they feel to you.  you can't tell.  If you don't have any history of heart disease, the probability of it being VT is very low.

Do you think this is a reason for concern or does it sound okay to you.

If you have been examined by a cardiologist and they aren't worried, you probably don't need to worry.  I deal mostly with heart rhythms.  When I have someone with concerns like yours I put on them on a 30 day monitor and wait to see a recording of what is causing your symptoms. It is really the only way to answer the question.  If it happens several times per week it should be an easy thing to record.

I hope this helps and your welcome.
Have you read anything on PSVT? That's Paroxysmal Supraventricular Tachycardia. I have that and it's just as the name says - paroxysmal: an abrupt change in rate. Apparently it's pretty benign (I've had it for at least 50 years) but strange and uncomfortable. Never had VT but I would guess too many beats of VT and you'd pass out since the ventricles wouldn't be pumping all that well. Just a thought. Have you worn a Holter or event monitor?