Heart Rhythm Community
Too much B12?

Join others experiencing Heart Rhythm issues. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: symptoms, management, and treatment.

Too much B12?

I started taking B12 (Shot o Bottle) 5000 mcgs in July of this year. I was working on my second bottle when I noticed my face breaking out in hives and was really oily. One nite, I experienced lying on my chest and started heart palpitations, it was really scary. I was out of breath and my heart was beating really fast and then it slowed down. It didn't happen again for a while, then a month later it happened again and so on but now more frequent. I immediatley stopped taking the pills and they still continued. I've went to the emergency room because I so weak from them, they ran an Ekg, blood and urine test, chest xray nothing showed up. I started taking fish oil to help, but they are still there but not as bad. I don't know what to do... Has anyone experienced this before?
I am always cautions about high dose of anything, albeit I do take 2 grams of fish oil Omega 3 every day...noting that 3 grams are recommended.

It may take some time to work out the high dose B12 effects, and I say that without out any personal knowledge or even a knowledge of what the "normal" daily requirement of B12 is, i.e., how much you were over the "line".

I hope you are taking reasonable quantities of fish oil.
Vit B12 is good for formation of red blood cells; a deficiency can result in anemia. Often vegetarians are low in Vit B12 because it's primarily found in animal products (eggs, milk, meat). The daily requirement is only 2 mcg. If I remember correctly the B vitamins are water soluble and what we don't need tends to go down the toilet. What a waste, huh? Fat soluble vitamins such as A can be toxic if you take too much. I don't see any notes about excess of B12.
Avatar n tn
I've been taking 2 capsules a day. I've not been over endulging in fishoil. I thought there was never a such thing as overdoing B12, this is my first time taking B12 in a bottle.
Avatar n tn
Thanks, I'm definitely not lack of vitamins. I was only taking it to help speed the metabolism, but it didn't work that way for me. I have learned my lesson, never thought you could have too much of a vitamin.