Toprol and Bradycardia
I am a 50 yo male with a history of bradycardia. I have been healthy all of my life and workout regularly. I am 6ft tall and weigh around 185, non-smoker and drink only occasionally. I recently had chest pains at my place of employment and they took me to the ER for evaluation. My heart rate was dropping to 38 and my BP was 89/50. I had Bigeminal Couplets and numerous PVC's. My labs came back normal with no increased Troponin level. Mag level was fine also. They prescribed a Lexascan Stress and an Echocardiogram. Both of which showed nothing pertinent except the PVC's and Couplets. All EKG's were normal and they prescribed a Holter Monitor for a 24 hr period to watch the activity of my heart. Over the course of the 24 hr period, I had an avg heart rate of 54 with the low being 35 and high being 98. I had a rare PAC and one run of atrial tach w/ 2:1 block that converted with a 2 sec pause. Atrial rate was 150. I had frequent PVC's, I had 9530 PVC's over the 24 hr period. There were 1174 couplets and 12 triplets. The triplet rate was 130. No symptoms were noted during this period. The cardiologist has now prescribed Troprol to combat the arrhythmias. This is a Beta Blocker though and I already have a low heart rate and my normal BP is usually in the 116/80 area. Is this the right prescription for me or should I get a second opinion? Thanks for any help in advance!
Hi. I cant say whether the prescription is right. That determination needs to come from a doctor.  You can also call your current doctor and express your concerns.   There may or may not be a difference in the way you and your doctor understand the diagnostic information you have. A second opinion seem like a safe bet.
BTW,  really sorry to hear about these issues and I hope you and your doctors are able to pin this down.  Best of luck.