Heart Rhythm Community
Torsades

Join others experiencing Heart Rhythm issues. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: symptoms, management, and treatment.

Torsades

I was just wondering how common Torsades is.  
I have anxiety and tend to focus on my heart.  I was reading (which I should not do) and came across certain meds causing torsades.  I was just wondering if anyone knew how common this is?
The only thing that has been found on my heart tests are rare PACs, sinus tach and sinus arrythmia(which I am not sure what that is).
Hello...

Sometimes it is good to surf the internet looking for information...Other times it can be very dangerous. What tends to happen is that you find cases of rare occurences and then start to identify with symptoms. Before you know it you've diagnosed yourself with a fatal illness. It can create alot of uneccessary fear and anxiety.

If you have had all the proper testing and all that you were diagnosed with were rare PAC's, Sinus Tach and Sinus Arrhythmia then I think you should feel a sense of relief.

If your family has a history of long QT syndrome then the risk would be a bit higher. If not then I would consider your risk quite low.

Risk factors for Torsades de Pointes

History of syncope or resuscitated arrest
Congenital deafness
Family history of sudden death

Sinus arrhythmia is defined as a slight variation in cycling of the sinus rhythm, usually one that exceeds 0.12 seconds between the longest and shortest cycles. Sinus arrhythmia is a normal finding in people and tends to diminish or disappear with age. Sinus arrhythmia is often somewhat more prominent with fluctuation in the respiratory cycle as heart rate accelerates with inspiration and slows with expiration. The alternating acceleration and deceleration of heart rate with respiration is mainly the result of fluctuations in vagal tone. Sinus arrhythmia may be aggravated by any factor that increases vagal tone. This arrhythmia is pretty benign and is a common finding usually producing no symptoms.

Are you currently taking any medications that were listed on the Long QT list?
Thank you for this.
I am not taking any meds on the list but wanted to start an anti depressant.  But SSRIs are on the list.  I do not have a family history of Long QT that I know of.  My dad was adopted so we do not know that side.  He is however 46 and healthy.  So that is a good sign, right?  I have only had one incidence of fainting and that was when I was pregnant and had not eaten much that day and I fainted.  Hospital said it was syncope due to not eating and dehydration.  So I left it at that.  It was not until I found my best friend dead on my couch that I started to have anxiety.  Never had this problem before.  The internet is a scary place.  i wish I would have never educated myself so much on the heart.  
Avatar n tn
I am going to make an assumption here. I saw a post yesterday telling someone to go to http://torsades.net/ for info. While some of this info is correct, there is a large majority of it that is too general to be directly related to torsades or Long QT Syndrome. Try to stick with websites for info that are from major hosiptials, Mayo, Cleveland, etc. Torsades is the hallmark arrhythmia with Long QT Syndrome, whether it is genetic or drug-induced. Family history, personal history of fainting and ECG abnormalities are key to being diagnosed with the genetic form of Long QT Syndrome and since you weren't taking any QT prolonging drugs, my guess is you are okay. It is not unusual to have anxiety after experiencing what you did with your friend. Have yourself checked out by a doctor to make sure and then maybe find someone to talk to to help with the anxiety.