Type 2 second degree heart block
my daughter had a halter monitor test after getting lots of skipped beats and it has reported that during the night she had occaisional episodes of 2nd degree AV block both type 1 and type 2. her consultant has tested her with an echocardiogram and examined the halter report and an ECG report and decided there is nothing to worry about. we however are concerned as we have read that type two second degree block is dangerous and can lead to heart attacks and a pacemaker should be inserted with these. Could you give us any reasons why he wasn't worried about her showing type 2 second degree heart block. She is 19 and worrying herself sick and her consultant is away just now and can't answer her question.
I was diagnosed with 2nd degree AV block, both types, about 12 years ago.  I was told that it is just an annoying thing that I would have to get used to but if I pass out I should go to the ER.  I have not had any problems so far.  I do notice it more when I am resting and more stressed.  I can't tell you why they say we shouldn't worry but at least I am comforted knowing that my doctor isn't the only one who tells their patients that.  P.S. Tell her not to worry, it will make it more noticeable.  Good luck!
From what I read about it, it really depends on the symptoms. I was told heart block can get worse, so definately keep getting her tested regulary (in my opinion) and if she has chest pain or fainting --I would get a new doc. and push for a pacemaker. Is she on any meds? Some meds can cause heart block, so she wants to avoid those.
Hi. From what I've read, type 1 is common at night and almost never a concern. Type 2 is sometimes seen, and often warrants further examination. It can't lead to a heart attack, but if it turns into third degree block, that's a malignant arrhythmia. It all depends on the cause. If vagal activity is the cause, it's more likely to be benign. If her resting EKG is normal, this is often the cause. Old people with damaged conduction system can have this permanent and that's bad. If the cardiologist said everything is OK, then who are we to argue? I guess we should trust the experts, even if that's not always easy.
From what i know a second degree heart blockm is seen in some people when we are sleeping. Does her heart rate increase with activity? if so thats a good thing. check to see if there are pauses at night, longer then 3 seconds is not good, and a pacemaker can fix that. An ecg every year is a good idea, make sure it never changes. Most doctors dont feel heart blocks are a big deal. stress will not help here, because vagal nerve has alot to do with here symptoms. alchohol, blood pressure medications should not be taken.