Unstable blood pressure
It has been over a week now that I experience eratic readings of my blood pressure. The highest reading that I had was 172/94 and the lowest was 80/54. In a span of minutes my blood pressure changes.My EKG was normal. Today I am schedule for blood work. I have been taking metoprolol 12.5 mg. (1x a day) as maintenance for my high blood pressure for 4 yrs and it was increased to 25 mg since last year. My doctor advised me to take 12.5mg of metoprolol if my blood pressure reading is over 160 in day time. I was also precribed trazodone for my sleep disorder because a lot of times I couldn't at night and I am still up until 1 am. Please advise.
Thank you, Lyn
Trazodone can cause hypertension as well as hypotension in some people--looks like according to the studies, a small number of patients. But it's possible you're one of those folks....

Blood pressure does fluctuate throughout the day. Keep in mind that if a person gets anxious, their blood pressure can rather quickly go up. In the past when I've checked mine and it's been high, I think my getting nervous about it being high may have actually made it higher when I took it a few minutes later. When it's high, try some deep breathing and see if it helps bring it down. This seems to work for me.

You may want to take your blood pressure log to your doctor or doctor's nurse and see what they have to say. Based on your medical history, they might want to run some tests.

Sometimes, they need to make medication changes. I was on an antidepressant about 10 years ago that doesn't raise blood pressure in most patients, but it did in my case. When the doctor changed me to a different medication, my blood pressure went down a lot and has never been that high since. It doesn't hurt to ask about the Trazodone and whether other patients have had any blood pressure problems while on it. Good luck!