Heart Rhythm Expert Forum
Vagus Nerve problem and can it be repaired

Questions in the Heart Rhythm forum cover topics that include heart rhythm issues, arrhythmia, irregular heartbeat, implanted defibrillators, pacemakers, and tachycardia.

I was diagnosed with severe orthostatic hypotension a few years ago and neurocardiac syncope.  Then about a year ago I was told I had an autonomic dysfunction.  My blood pressure gets severely low and some days I am unable to get out of bed its so low or am unable to even cross a room without it dropping to about 80/60 and my heartrate will go up to around 140 where it will be 50-60's while resting.  I've worn the monitors, etc.  I have irregular heartbeats, lose my balance, memory loss, loss of concentration, trouble focusing, falling, near sycope, etc.  I've had the tilt table tests, I couldn't do the treadmill but did the one lying down as I almost passed out while waiting for the treadmill test in the very beginning.  My quality of life has deteriorated over the past 3 1/2 yrs.  I lose my voice (going on 3 yrs for no reason - have had many tests) and I recently started with GI problems (severe gas & bloating).  I've suffered with migraines for about 14 yrs which have gotten worse.  I get severe pressure in my head that isn't a migraine but I'm told is due to lack of oxygen to the brain.  I get short of breath also and have chest pains due to what I'm told is my heart working harder to pump blood that isn't there.  I've been to the endocrinologist recently and had the stimulation test and was told that was normal.  I was told, however, that my body doesn't produce serotonin.  The lab results were only "5" and that was with 100 mg of Zoloft everyday for over 6 months.  I was given Zoloft to see if it would help with the blood pressure/brain stimulation.  I'm told now it must be a problem with the brain signals to my heart afterall.  Could it be the vagus nerve and if so, is there any cure for that?  If so, what type of doctor do I need to see now?  I want to get better and have been to numerous cardiologist, PCP's and my regular neurologist, although he isn't familiar with this problem or anything this complicated and couldn't help me.  Thank you.
There is not a way to "fix" the vagus nerve.  You have a very difficult to treat problem.  The best person that I know of for autonomic problems is Blair Grubb, MD at the University of Toledo, OH.  There is no magic fix.  I am sorry I can't be of much more help.