Heart Rhythm Community
Valve regurgitation, sob with meals.

This patient support community is for discussions relating to heart rhythm issues, arrhythmia, irregular heartbeat, implanted defibrillators, pacemakers, and tachycardia.

Valve regurgitation, sob with meals.

Does anyone suffer from heart valve regurgitation?? If so what are your symptomes.. I have regurgitation in my mitral and try cuspid valve and I have noticed that I get very lightheaded. I also am having issues after eating, every time after a meal I get very short of breath and near passing out.. I'm unable to move or even speak to anyone and it takes me a a two or three hourse to recover and breath normally again.. I had a stress echo two years back and it was normal.. Only mild regurgitation in the mitral and tricuspid valves.. Doctor told me it was very common and it wouldn't cause my symptomes.. Everytime I go to the er for my symptomes they tell me it's not the heart because my ECG is almost normal.. I do have long pr intervals, a 1st degree av heart block.. Sometimes the ECG is normal, I'm like wth is coursing my SOB?? So er visited are embarising and a waist of money.. The issues I have is they won't repeat my echo, they say my echo from two years back was normal and shouldn't be repeated.. How can mild regurgitation in two heart valves be normal.. Does anyone have the same type of regurgitation and have absolutely no symptomes?? Is so can you please share your opinion.. I think it's time for another echo, does anyone agree?? So tired of living with shortness of breath and lightheadedness.. Can so
Rome pleace help.. I am ready to pay for the echo out of pocket at another health care center,, is that possible?? Does anyone know I place in the Los Angeles area??
I am much older than you and the only valve I've had a problem with is my Mitral valve.  In fact my leaked so badly that it was causing an enlargement of my left atrium - so much so that my cardiologist recommended surgery.  I underwent open heart surgery November 2007 and had a successful repair, but I think I still have a mild regurgitation - indeed I believe some leakage is likely in all valves.

The reason I give you my story is to let you know I never suffered from any of the symptoms you mention.  The reason I had surgery was to prevent congestive heart failure due to enlargement of the left atrium.  

My experience says something else is going on to cause the shortness of breath.  

Hope someone else can provide more help.
It is possible your issue is related to your vagus nerve.  I can get shortness of breath after eating though I don't necessarily feel like I will pass out but if I eat too much or have a meal high in carbohydrates I will get shortness of breath.  I would say watch what you are eating and maybe see if antacids help.  Acid reflux can bring on some of the symptoms you are feeling.  I assume you have discussed this issue with your cardiologist?  If not you may want to do so.  As well, considering the severity of your symptoms, I might visit your GP and discuss having your stomach evaluated.  Take care, I do hope you can get to the bottom of this and feel better.
hi hope you are ok.i have mitral valve prolspse and have hd symptoms for years.i have fatigue and palpitations.i cnt eat big meal as causes sob and palps.you should hve echo yearly as things change .
I've been asking for a repeated echo but doctors refuse.. They tell me abuse a stress echo was normal two years ago that I m ok .. And so they refuse to offer another echo.. I am very symptomatic.. Short of breath daily with anything I do, and so extremely dizzy.. But what concerns me the most is trouble breathing after I eat.. Because it takes so long for me to recover and I'm basically unable to function is this happens.  Legally does anyone know what I can do to make my doctors take me seriously.. Can I go to a county hospital free of charge.. I do have health care but it is useless because all I get is blood work and a pat in the back telling me I'm ok.. Very much suffering and don't know what else to do.. I never thought I'd be living like this at such a young age..
I would suggest maybe going to the ER when you feel this poorly again.  Have someone take you or call and ambulance.  Have someone look at you while you are extremely symptomatic.  The ER takes precedence with people who come in with breathing and heart issues so you should be seen pretty quickly.  At least you would know if it was anything immediately life threatening going on.  In any event, we need to be persistent with our doctors.  A lot of times they disregard us initially because a lot of issues resolve on their own but if things are not getting better just keep going back until they listen.  They will do their best to investigate.  Though with a good echo your issue may not be actually heart related.  Your heart is possibly being affected by something else so go to the doctor open to all possibilities but just go and keep reminding them that you are having trouble functioning and they will help you.  You may have to try a few lifestyle things and go down some roads you might not expect but it will be worth it if you can get to the bottom of this eventually but again be your best advocate and be persistent.  Take care.  I do hope you can find some relief from what is going on.  
oh i feel frustrated for you.i agree with wot last person said.call an ambulance when its bad at least you wil get basic observations done so you can see wots going on.i am from england so it is hard to have echo done too.i went years without one but it should be annually else how can they pick up changes.i have to fight for everything.i have lost two stone and feel awful but my gp doesnt knw wot to do.i also feel like i cant breathe but i think we then get anxious and panic.let me knw how you are,i just want you checked so you knw and then we can be here for you and reassure you.take care
All my heart valves are somewhat leaky, including the aortic valve (which REALLY should not be, and may earn me valve replacement surgery someday), and I have never had any symptoms like yours.

I think you need to see a gastroenterologist about symptoms that are related to eating.
You must have some symptoms, even if they are  minor. If not the regurgitation then maybe it's my 1st degree av block.. It is a prolonged Pr interval on my ecgs. And I'm usually extremely short of breath furring the ECG.. I have asked my doctor about the heart block but he thinks I'm focusing on something that's no big issue.. I am always short of breath, dizzy  and suffering from minor chest pains right under my left breast bone, the pain is a sharp stabbing feeling and it's so painful it it makes it difficult to breath.. I'm so frustrated with my doctors, I wish I could go for a second opinion to a different hospital center..
Nope, none related to the leaky valves.  There are specific signs you look for, depending on what valves are involved, and I've got none of them.  However, because aortic regurgitation can worsen with time, I get checked once a year.  So far, so good, and I feel fine.

Decades ago, I was also diagnosed with first degree heart block  (a slightly prolonged P-R interval), and have no symptoms from that, either.  It is considered a medically insignificant finding, requiring no treatment.

You might want to google something called 'postprandial hypotension,' which can cause faintness after eating.  However, it does not cause sharp pains under the left breast bone.

Every time I make myself believe that my hearts fine I have health setbacks that cause all kinds of pain and breathing and eating issues. Its good to hear that you are non symptomatic.. I know I have  gerd, so now  it's time for a consolation with a gastro doctor. and se what they say.. Thanks for everyone's good wishes and valuable recommendations.