Heart Rhythm Community
Very high pulse rate in 19 year old.

This patient support community is for discussions relating to heart rhythm issues, arrhythmia, irregular heartbeat, implanted defibrillators, pacemakers, and tachycardia.

Very high pulse rate in 19 year old.

I am a 19 year old male with a resting pulse rate that generally ranges anywhere from as "low" as 90 beats per minute on up to 140 or so beats per minute. The higher numbers are often accompanied by light-headedness, sort of a jittery feeling, and hand tremors.

I've talked about this with my (soon-to-be "former") general practitioner a couple of times, and he basically brushes the situation off and says that such a situation is to be expected in an overweight individual (6'3" / 300lbs). I might add that these statements from him always come with a fair amount of light-hearted, "not a care in the world" kind of chuckling.

I've read what the normal pulse rates are supposed to be, and I am convinced that whatever is going on surely must be more serious than this wretched doctor is suggesting.

I made an appointment with a cardiologist, but it isn't for about three months.

My question is, just how serious does something like this sound? Should I try to find more urgent attention for it than the appointment I've got?

I find the whole situation to be rather worrisome, really.
Hello...

I'm sorry to hear how you've been received by your Dr. Has he ever bothered to do a simple EKG or drawn any blood for analysis to see what might be going on?

You've made a good choice by leaving this Dr behind...If for nothing else, lack of compassion or bedside manner!  How often is your resting heart rate at 140bmp?

It really is hard to determine without proper tests to even fathom a guess to what is going on. I don't want to say this is very serious or life threatening...it definitely needs to be evaluated. A 3 month wait is a bit long. Is there any way you may be able to be put on the cancellation list?

We're here to help you through this and again I am so sorry to hear about your experience with your GP.
Thank your for your response!

No, the jolly "brushing off" of the whole issue is pretty much the extent of that doctor's investigation into the problem.

The 140 number is actually about as high as I've seen the resting rate. It probably only gets that high once in a month or less. For the most part, it seems to linger in the 110 area.

You're right, it probably would be best to go about trying to get the earliest appointment that I can. I'll definitely have to ask them about the cancellation list.
Hello...

As a healthcare professional myself, it troubles me to hear what lengths many travel just to get paid attention to.

Even a resting pulse that is consistenly over 100 shouldn't be brushed off until tests prove that it isn't from an underlying condition.

I'm glad that you will call about the cancellation list. Waiting and worrying for 3 months will only compound your symptoms.

Best of luck with this and let us know how it works out:)
Oh!!!

I also see a psychiatrist because I suffer from several forms of anxiety disorder. I am medicated for this, but the symptoms are not eliminated completely.

I'm sorry, I guess it's such a second nature now that I didn't even think to mention it at first.

I know that this can obviously raise the heart rate, but I don't know if it could push as far out of the normal range as mine is.

Now that you mention having already been diagnosed with an anxiety disorder, this could explain your symptoms. Anxiety disorder can lead to all the symptoms you have been experiencing.

Of course that doesn't mena that these symptoms should be ignored or chalke up to your underlying disorder. If you have new onset symptoms or sypmtoms that have increased in intensity, they need to be addressed.

When you see the cardiologist, don't forget to mention this to him/her. What are you taking to combat your anxiety?
Hi Meyer193,

Just thought I'd lend my thoughts on your matter. I myself am a 19 year old male, dealing with a resting heart rate generally ~100 BPM. However, I would be considered "underweight." Even with your weight, a pulse of 140 while resting is quite high. For me, I was in the 60-65 range before this whole debacle.

Did this start all of a sudden? Seems like you're taking this well, which is the best course of action. By any chance, are you from Canada? Seems like that 3-4 month waiting time is standard for specialists here, and frustratingly long. I've had my issue for over one year, and have yet to get a solid answer. Like yourself, I also left behind my family doctor for his lack of concern and passion on the matter. It's your life, and should be dealt with in the proper manner. Listen, don't get discouraged for waiting, and perhaps not even finding anything wrong in the medical tests that surely await you. Keep optimistic - everything'll work out great.

Strange you mentioned that "jittery" feeling as well. I get that too! Not sure if it's the same thing, but I swear it feels like something in my inner body is "shivering," and I just wait it out. No one can explain that to me.

There's not much else I can offer than some words of encouragement (since, I'm in a somewhat similar situation). Keep strong, and I'll be more than to help you out in any way I can.

Take care, and keep us updated!

Aaron
I've been convinced that my stresses have been being controlled well enough that the shakiness and nervousness that comes with the really high numbers are in fact originating from the high pulse itself. I don't know how I haven't considered that the tremors and abnormal nerves weren't actually the CAUSE of the high heart rates.

I don't know if it's true, of course. I'll be very interested to see what the cardiologist's opinion is.

I know to an observer it would seem incredibly foolish how one would not imagine such an obvious possible connection, but somehow actually sitting down and writing things out helps a person's mind to consider a wider array of possibilities than they normally would.
You sound very intelligent and on top of what is happening in your body. In the eyes of professionals, sometimes it is easier to brush symptoms off or assume that they are only connected to your anxiety disorder...Whatever the case, I wish you the best and hope that you get to the bottom of it...sooner than later:)
Thanks.

Actually, the numbers this high have occurred for maybe a half a year.

As far as taking it well goes, I know there wouldn't be sense in getting really depressed when a cause is not even known. I mean, if a doctor would tell me that I have some specific, serious disorder of the heart then I'd definitely be upset. But no sense in jumping to conclusions.

I'm not in Canada, but the Louisiana medical system is sufficiently abominable in its own little ways.
I appreciate your kindness.

In my opinion, there's a great paucity of individuals who actually take an interest in the problems of their fellow humans that extends over the whole of society itself.

Unfortunately, the medical industry will naturally end up being one of the areas most injured by such a phenomenon, I suppose.