Heart Rhythm Community
Visible pulse on face

This patient support community is for discussions relating to heart rhythm issues, arrhythmia, irregular heartbeat, implanted defibrillators, pacemakers, and tachycardia.

Visible pulse on face

A couple of nights ago while brushing my teeth I noticed that on the left side of my face, to the side of my lip, there is a small but very pronounced and visible 'pulse' which is perfectly in synch with my heartbeat. It's about the size of my little fingernail, and when pressed I can feel a very small lump underneath. It is causing me a lot of psychological stress, as I've convinced myself it is not normal and I can't visit a doctor until after the weekend as I'm away on vacation.

A little background info- 22 year old male, occasional smoker, 160lbs, 182cm.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Hello.

A very clear answer: You can totally forget this!

We all get pulsations in different parts of the body. I can sometimes clearly see or feel my heart beats in fingers, forhead, wrist, abdomen, legs, even in my penis, lol.

Some people just have their arteries a little more visible than others. And sometimes we are warm, and our blood vessels (veins, arteries) pop a little closer to the skin, mainly to get rid of body heat. It's our way to control body temperature. I bet you will feel this less on a winter day (if you experience winter days, in Norway we definitely do ;)

Muscle tightness, changing position and changes in blood pressure can also have an effect.

You can see a doctor sometime to get reassured, but DO NOT spoil an otherwise nice vacation by worrying about this! Please!

My eyes often pulsate with my heart beat. It's annoying!

It generally benign...I think! LOL. I have put it down to tense muscles and a strong heart beat. My head often rocks with my heart beat. I have an arrhythmia which is getting ablated next week.  

Make sure you get it checked out by a doctor though!
Hello.

hi there,
i seem to have developed the exact same pulse above my left lip.  what is it and what did you do to treat it?  is this something that can be treated?
sincerely,
distressed
hi there,
did you ever find out what that pulse above your lip was caused by?  i have the exact same thing you described and it is causing me a lot of stress.  is this something that can be treated?  and if so, how?
i am a 31 year old female , non-smoker and occasional drinker.
Hello all... Did anyone discover treatment for this as I also have this problem!
Hello
I don't know why our mind is not free. I bet you this problrm has only one solution. forgot it forever and free your mind. (sincerely)
Hi. I am a 29yr old white female in very good health. Has anyone found what this could be? About 2 years ago I was on honeymoon and woke up one morning thinking a spider had bitten me on my face. I had a small pea sized lump just above my lip on the left. I also noticed it was pulsating in time with my heart beat. 2 years later it is still there and causing some discolouration on my face and seems to have grown a bit. It is only much more visible in certain lights but I notice it all the time. I have been to 2 skin specialists, had an ultrasound and then thought it must be a vascular problem. So I went to a vascular surgeon who thought it was a start of an AVM (arterior venus malformation). Which I was very stressed about. So he sent me for an angiogram just to make sure, and they found it was in fact NOT an AVM. So now I am back to square one because no one seems to know what it is! I have been told to watch it and see how it develops but I don't want it to get worse plus the constant pulsing I see in the mirror is driving me insane coupled with the discolouration on the face and the fact that sometimes I can feel it twitching or becoming itchy. It's weird! I have been told that it's not dangerous but anything that someone can help with regards to treatment would be appreciated!
Stop smoking and forget about the pulse in and or around your face.
It can be a Pseudo-Aneurysm.