Heart Rhythm Community
WPW Syndrome and Palpitations

Join others experiencing Heart Rhythm issues. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: symptoms, management, and treatment.

WPW Syndrome and Palpitations

After having a racing heart, and a few wrong diagnoses my whole life, in 1999, I was finally diagnosed with WPW Syndrome and had a heart ablasion. However, I still have palpitations that are sometimes painful. I have been back to the doctor a few times because of this, but have always been told that "palpitations are normal, and some people can feel them and some people can't". They are not always painful, but scare me each time they occur (which is a few times daily) because I know that's how the racing heart used to start before the ablasion. I also have had 2 racing heart episodes since the ablasion, one being about 24 hours after the procedure, but neither lasted very long. I was told also, that the WPW could return.  Should I just learn to live with the palpitations, or is there something that could be done about them?
You probably will find that there is nothing much that can be done about them.  You could try a beta blocker which would reduce the force that your heart beats, but you still might feel them.  I tried a low dose beta blocker of atenolol of 50 mg, and it helped some but I still got them.  My blood pressure and heart beat got pretty low also.  One night I felt a little wooosy and checked my bp and it was 92\58.  My heart rate was like 50 at that point.  I said hmmm I dont really like this and I stopped taking the beta blocker.  I since have decided just to live with them and move on with my life.  If the doctors tell you that you are going to be fine then I would just go on about your business.  Or who knows a beta blocker might work for you, it can do different things for different people.  Good luck with your issues.