Heart Rhythm Community
WPW?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to heart rhythm issues, arrhythmia, irregular heartbeat, implanted defibrillators, pacemakers, and tachycardia.

WPW?

I am a 24 year old female in good health and have been having palpitations, chest pain, and tightness. I am constantly exhausted and fatigued. I have difficulty breathing ALL the time (not just during exercise). This has been going on for about 4 months and I just got in to see a cardiologist this week (she was an ARNP) I had an EKG done that showed my heart rate at 111 and was told that my "delta wave" was too short. She speculates that I may have Wolff Parkinson White Syndrome but is unsure. She says I likely have had this since birth but it has gone undetected.  I am starting metoprolol tonight and will be seeing an electrophysiologust nex tweek along with having an echocardiogram.

I am wondering if the symptoms that I am experiencing sound like WPW?? My main problem really is the breathing and this happens with or without palpitations. Will the beta-blocker help with my shortness of breath? Gasping for air all day has made my chest pain and tightness so much worse.

I have an 18 month old son and it has really been hard for me to take care of him through all of this because of how tired I am and how short of breath I am. I am extremely nervous that it could be something bad...

Thank you for your help.

Sara

This discussion is related to Fast Heart rate.
Wolff-Parkinson-White often leaves a little EKG signature.  It's typically a litte slur or delta wave within the rise of the R wave along with a shortened PR interval.  WPW is an SVT within the AVRT family.  I had an AVRT which was initially thought to be WPW, but turned out to be Circus Movement Tachycardia.

This type of tachycardia has unmistakeable symptoms.  It starts abruptly.  You can go froma resting heart rate of 70 to over 200 within one beat.  It also stops abruptly as well.  Never does it gradually ramp up or down.  While one is having an episode, one may feel a heavy feeling in the chest or a dull ache.  If the rapid heart rate continues for an extended period, an individual may become cyanotic with blueish lips and nail beds.  This is due to the fact the ventricles are pumping faster than they can fill with blood.  Rarely, during an episode does WPW have a rate lower than 160.

AVRT along with AVNRT are ofent difficult to diagnose due to their fleeting, paroxysmal nature.  One can go to a cardiologist and have a perfectly normal EKG and heart structure.  In hearing the symptoms and seeing a normal EKG, often a patient will be diagnosed with anxiety or panic disorder, and the real condition goes untreated.

I wouldn't rush into an electrophysiology procedure without first probing your condition more thoroughly.  An echo stress test to examine the structure of the heart, and a 30 day monitor are often used to hopefully  record an episode.

The best thing I could offer to you is to carefully write down any symptoms you experience; heart rate is very important, how long it lasted, how it started and how it ended.  These are helpful clues to the cardilolgist in dertermining which course of action to take.