Heart Rhythm Community
Waking up with body vibrations

This patient support community is for discussions relating to heart rhythm issues, arrhythmia, irregular heartbeat, implanted defibrillators, pacemakers, and tachycardia.

Waking up with body vibrations

I am wondering if anyone has ever felt the following:  Almost every night I fall asleep normally only to suddenly wake up 20-30 minutes later with these feeling of vibration throughout my whole body.  MY heart seems slightly irregular and has the feeling like it wants to start racing.  Sometimes it does, most times it just beats strongly.  The vibrating feeling throughout my body is disconcerting.  I put my hand out to see if I'm actually shaking.  I am slightly but nothing in comparison to what I feel internally.  It last up to 5 minutes, then eventually I fall asleep, only to wake again after 20-30 minutes.  This can happen up to 5-7 times a night.  Eventually I fall asleep and fall into the regular REM sleep.
Any thoughts?  Thank you all.  
PS.  I do not drink alcohol, smoke nor take caffeine.
inappropriate release of catecholamines might be to blame.  This isn't uncommon.  It could explain both the heart and other muscle activation.

Another explainantion could be a sleep disturnace called Myoclonus.  This is a normal sleep process but can sometimes not work right, but will change back to normal.

Thanks for the info.  I will further look into these possibilities.  I actually have an apt. with a sleep doc in 2 weeks.  Curious to see if he wants to do a sleep study.  Do you have these issues yourself and are you aware of any remedies?  Thanks for the time.
I get both, have found no remedies.  I just live with it, comes and goes.  These issues are transient in nature for me, just part of being human I guess.
That's really strange.  I have felt that vibration feeling mainly in my chest and shoulders.  I don't have it often, but I do sense it from time to time and mine is not constant.  It's like it starts and then stops for half a second and then starts again.  Weird!  I told my Dr about it and he just dismissed it, didn't have a clue what it could be.  I've wondered if it could be the Vagus nerve acting up.  Maybe. Mine usually only lasts for several minutes.  And it doesn't accompany an irregulat heartbeat.
It must be driven by adrenaline/cortisol.  I've had these since I was a teenager (feeling them right after I fall asleep), however whenever I am an SSRI's (anti-anxiety) for longer periods of time, they disappear.  I think those of us who have heart arrhythmias taught ourselves to be super vigilant and pay attention to every little thing that happens with our bodies, although the vibrations I feel are intense and disrupt my sleep often.  
I so want to just say "to hell with all of it" and stop thinking about every little bodily manifestation.
Unfortunately, the arrhythmias have been my biggest challenge and they have completely altered me.  I was a person who welcomed life with enthusiasm and excitement, and these things have turned me into a cautious, petrified little mouse.  That's the worst part of it all! I admire those that can push them aside and live their lives with joy.  I have a hard time convincing myself otherwise.  I'll say it now, "to hell with it".  This site has been very helpful to me, on the other hand you get addicted to the stories, and I wonder how beneficial it is to keep oneself always submerged in this topic.  It never leaves one's brain.  
I have just been rescently experiencing these unusual Vibrations in my chest and throughout my body.   It seems to bother me when i go to lay down at night right before bed and when i wake up in the morning.  Or the feeling of the vibration will wake me up all hours of the morning.   I keep putting it off going to the Doctors, my doctor is going to think im crazy, because they probably wont find anything wrong, but i know there is something thats not right..     Please help me find a solution.
I just thought this comment deserved an "Amen!"

I think those of us who have heart arrhythmias taught ourselves to be super vigilant and pay attention to every little thing that happens with our bodies, although the vibrations I feel are intense and disrupt my sleep often.  
SO hard to undo the tracks we have laid in our conscience.  But I make it a daily practice now that whenever I feel something, I just observe it without interpreting it, understanding that it will pass. This is not easy for me.  I hope by doing this over and over, eventually my brain will stop freaking and interpreting when I get symptoms.  Take good care.
Hello, all the intense vibrations I feel are after I fall asleep, quickly wake up and vibrate.  I have an apt. with a sleep expert Thursday to discuss these vibrations. I will post his comments and maybe you will get a hint about your vibrations.  
When I first started experiencing arrhythmia, my whole body was in a state of anxiety. Awake, I would feel vibrations, sudden jerks of the hands, arms, and head, lumps in the throat, feelings of being short of breath.  Over the years I have grown somewhat accustomed to the arrhythmia, and all those symptoms eased up considerably.  I definitely attribute them to the high anxiety I felt.  I still feel anxiety but not as intense as I use to.
If these vibrations are truly bothering you, why dismiss it.  Although the dr's certainly do. Or if they're not really bothering you, why even mention them.  When I switched from an Ambien at night to a prozac for sleep, come to think of it, I haven't been experiencing the vibrations. Maybe it is an SSRI reaction. I agree, we all get distracted on this website, usually by other individuals, with whom we have a lot in common, and it does turn into an addiction.  But I think all of us can say we have learned so much from our fellow addictees. And we keep learning.  I don't think I dwell on my issues, I dwell on finding solutions to my issues, because the dr's sure as heck don't. I think because of the advances in medical technology and the accessability of that information to all of us by way of the internet, the dynamics of today's dr-patient relationship has shifted.  The dr's don't have the time to devote to learning all the latest in any field, much less a variety of fields.  Pity the poor internal medicine dr or general practice dr or nurse practitioner. Most of them don't have a clue. And you usually have to see them first before being referred to a specialist.  Now, where was I...
It sounds like you may have some tics along with your arrythmia.  It could be your Vagus nerve acting up. Looking forward to your sleep dr's report. Maybe you have sleep apnea.
Saw the sleep doc today who told me it may be a mild case of apnea which can only be confirmed through a sleep study. OR it could be driven by hormones, OR anxiety.  I may in the future consider a sleep study.  He did not give (or couldn't) a specific reason for WHY my body vibrates.  I realize there could be any number of reasons, but it just feels frustrating that no matter who I see, cardiologists, EP's, GP, no one can just pinpoint the problem and give a specific answer (to my palps, vibrations, etc).  The body is complicated, but I still wish for a clear-cut answer.  I'm left floating in a sea of information and confusion.
So, unfortunately, no earth shattering revelation here for the vibrations.
I know its frustrating.  I did a sleep study about 10 yrs ago, not because of the vibrations (I hadn't experienced those yet) but because I had insomnia really bad, I could go to sleep, I just couldn't stay asleep. Well, at the sleep study they had to give me an ambien at midnight because I couldn't even go to sleep.  The next morning,  they told me I didn't have sleep apnea, that maybe it was some emotionally based thing and that maybe I should see a psychiatrist.  Go figure.  I haven't had an ambien in a long time (I think it can be dangerous when you have ANY heart issues) but the prozac I believe has helped with sleep, mood and vibrations.  I'd still like to stop that med as well.  
Thanks for pointing out the catecholamines to me.  We shall see what the tests show.  Just saw an endocrinologist to rule some things out.
Ciao.
I went to the doctor last year because I was having these vibrations.  I still get them.
I'm close to 50 and he contributed it to hormones and peri menopause.  So, I looked up vibrations and menopause and there is all kinds of information on a site where women talk about vibrations.  I'm beginning to believe my doctor (for once).  lol
Frenchie
Thanks to all of you for your comments.  I find some peace in the fact that I am not alone.  Arrhythmia can get in your head and make sleep difficult at best.  I have got no support from my Dr and have been left with the feeling that I am a hypo condriac.  My symptoms are so intermittant it is difficult to get an ekg at the appropriate time.  The symptoms are frustrating and impactful on my life.  No being believed by a Dr is just depressing.
Frenchie, I too am close to 50 :P and probably all these hormones are doing a number on me, but I've had these vibrations with sleep from the time I was a teenager.  I think the vagus nerve plays a major part in this.  Kind of comforting that it's not the heart causing it.
I just wish the doctors had more answers, which is probably naive, since the body is so complicated and there's not always a specific remedy that covers everyone the same.  In the end, it looks like we have to manage our own heads.  Difficult!!!

jpek, If you are interested you might want to look into this great book which can prove very helpful and comforting.   It is "Hope and Help for Your Nerves" by Dr. Diane Weekes.  Cheap on Amazon.
I actually am one of the ones that recommended that book on this site.  I have had it since I was 21 years old.  I helped me more than I can say.
Yes, the vagus nerve is also the culprit.  Mine is so sensitive that I can't even do yoga because all that breathing brings on heart skips.
Take care
Frenchie
Not sure if anyone's interested but the endocrinology reports are back.  My catecholamines are normal, so there is no excess adrenaline flowing in my body causing PVC's or body vibrations.  All else is within normal range except for my iron which is at the bottom of the normal range.  Minerals, hormones, thyroid are all normal.  So I can scratch these things off the "Blame" list.
I'm just left with my skippy heart.
Shrink next!
I have also been having the vibrations for about 7 months now.  I had an ekg monitor i had to wear for a month and the report came back normal.  A cardiologist did a stress echo and that was normal.  I wake up at least 3 nights a week with my whole body vibrating.  It feels like waking up on a washing machine during spin cycle.  These episodes may last up to 15 mins but most of the time just 2 or 3 mins.  I may go 10 days without having one...... alcohol and caffiene seem to have no correlation to the episodes.  I am 33 yrs old and in perfect health.  I know it's not my imagination and my doctors are baffled.  How can doctors not know what is causing this...obviously there are alot of us experiencing this.
I agree, it's a very common condition and I cannot believe why the doctors cannot explain it.

I believe I get them more often with Zyrtec (antihistamine) but I'm really not sure. I think it's completely benign tremors.
Yowee! I can't believe there are so many other people out there expreriencing the same body vibrations.  I feel them in my upper body but have disc disease in my neck and spine which I had a recent lumber fusion and laminectomy of my L5/6 dics.  I thought the vibrations were maybe caused by this. Now am not so sure.  My vibrations don't always accompany tachycardia but when they do they are far worse.  Am almost convinced they are anxiety related to my SVT as there have been times when I've been able to talk myself out of them (vibrations) by using calming breathing and repeatedly telling myself that even if I'm experiecing SVT that I'm not likely to die and that I will be alright.  Certainly when I've had a few bad days in a row of SVT, the vibrations are intense when trying to lie down or sleep in anticipation of the long night ahead.  

I think it's incredible that we are all a link in helping strangers that we are in confiding, sharing, caring and encouraging on a condition/s that none of us asked for and have little control of.  I don't feel a freak anymore.  SVT and it's accompaning vasovagal syndrome  almost took my life because I was isolated and afraid to go anywhere or do anything fearing an "attack."  Well to hell with the next one, I'm going to enjoy what ever and where ever regardless!  I've stayed at home too long. All the best out there x
I get what I call Butterfly feeling in chest/body. It could also be discribed as vibration's as well. It's almost like a shacky feeling but you cant see me shacking as it's inturnal feeling. It's the most commen discription of palitation that I have read of both from people experiancing them or discription or palpitaion as well.

I'm not 100% sure but it's the most commen discription that often has has no serious heart condiction casuing it. it's also the most commen discription that people with anxiety disorder's discribe. I spent a lot of time on anxiety web site.
I had this vibration thing for several years, while I was going through menopause, and it would wake me from sleep a lot. Occasionally I had them during the day too.  And that was before I had these darn PVCs. Eventually, the internal vibration stopped. I don't know whether stress triggered it, or something else. But it did go away.
Vibration skipping hearts its all normal.  We are human animals not perfect primates, of course something is gunna shake rattle and roll sometimes right?  Its not a perfect world.
Fellow vibrators, When I was taking SSRI's (Paxil and last time, Lexapro) I stopped having the vibrations completely.  Then I went off the meds, and now I'm back to vibrating.  So it may be correlated to the serotonin activity (or lack of) after I fall asleep.  
It's annoying but I'll take vibrating over arrhythmia anytime.
You may be right about the serotinin activity.

I too use to suffer really from palps that made my body feel like it was vibrating. I was put on Fluvoximine melate starting at 50mg slowly increased to 200mg over about a year. 200mg controls my palps very well not that palps were the only reason my med was increased. last year I tryed to lower my med's with Dr's approval to try. The feeling came back and palps were happening all day and night at different intencity.

Now I'm diagnoised with IST and yet I only discovered the tachycardia via HR monitor I got for the gym. I'm now wondering if the palps was really my tachycardia. I have no idea how long I've been dealing with tachy HR as I did not feel like my heart was racing I never once suspected my symptoms were related to my heart in any way. Even when I got the HR monitor a small part of me thought even thoe it's for the gym this should absulotly prove I'm fine and give me more evidance that I'm over reacting to my symptoms. At that time I done all the blood test the Dr could do she had ruled out pretty much everything els and was telling me it most proberly exaustion caused by suffering from mental illness for a long time. I was looking for a reason and researching on the net and heart condition came up a lot when I put my symptoms in to google as well as auto-immune problems and POTS. The Dr told me my heart rate was fine when she took my pulse(sitting). When I got the HR monitor I had practicly given up on diagnoises other than my current mental illness's(OCD, GAD, PTSD, depression). For day's I thought I had got a dud HR moniter I could not beleaive what I was seeing. Even people told me it must be brocken I was about to take it back when I thought easy way to check and started asking other people to try the HR watch. Surprisingly it was giving normal healthy readings from family and friends that were just as over weight as me or more and I felt I was more active them a lot of the people I tested it on.

Anyway now that I'm diagnoised and starting to feel a lot better, I have to wonder is my anti D meds were hiding the most important symptom. In fact when the cardiologist said they often treat IST with anti D's it works for some and other not that what really got me thinking. Would my tachy issues be worse off my med's or is it just hiding the heart sensation that my body was screaming at me to listen to. Either way I'm glad to be feeling better on Ivabradine. I'm sure glad I got my HR monitor and insisted the Dr take it serious. It still took another 3mth after I discovered the tachy issue to get her send me to a cardiologist.

I am suspicious that we feel vibrations for some other reason then sickness, just think logicaly: all ages, all kind of people sick, healthy...
I felt it first time last week and I was not scared at all, my intuition told me that I am connected to cosmos and Earth vibration. So stop vasting money on doctors if you are otherwise healthy. It seems that doctors have no clue anyways, all they do in this case is to drug you, that doesn't stop Earth vibrations, or you thing it does?

Just my thoughts. Hugs to all of you.
I have vibrated all my life.  Probably 3 or 4 times a year.  I think that it feels wonderful and have always felt that it is a self tuning mechanism to insure that my energy channels are in alignment.
hello all- i just found this post. last night i woke up to the strange sensation of my whole body vibrating. i dont think i was asleep for very long before i woke up and this has never happened to me before. I am only 27 so i hope this isnt menopause related!! i also have a vsd heart murmur so i do not know if this is related or not.it was very strange and i almost felt as if i was hearing at a lessened frequency- has anyone out there experienced that? after about a min of freaking out i tried to feel my heart beat and it seemed far away and then when i became more present and "stable" in my body it was beating fast but there was no pain at all...it was a crazy experience to say the least- its nice to know some people have had similar experiences.
Get your anemia taken care of first.  If you are a sensitive individual meaning that you may have symptoms from anemia even though you are only low on the scale.  The scale is just something doctors use to measure anemia.  It could be causing your symptoms.  Anemia can cause irregular heartbeats.

Get your iron level up.  Do yourself a huge favor and get some exercise. I'm guessing a little anxiety could be part of the problem as well.

Don't worry, you'll feel better soon.
Internal vibrations are a symptom of an anxiety disorder. They are also caused by withdrawal from Anti-depressant and benzodiazapine drugs. The withdrawal syndrome mimics anxiety. Are you taking or withdrawing from either of these?
ls500:  Just noticed your post.  I'm not getting alerted lately when someone's responding to me.  
Yeah, the vibrations have me less concerned lately.  No rhyme or reason as to when they  happen.  My anxiety is mostly focused on the arrhythmia these days since they're bothering me quite a bit.  I have been taking iron, either alone, or with a vitamin (without doubling up) and I still get plenty of action lately.  Thanks for the input though.  PS. I do exercise daily.

BobRob:  I've weaned off SSRI's over a 4 month period over a year ago.  Still vibrating at night, but it's not daily.  SSRI's made them disappear while I was on them.  I've had these vibrating episodes since a teenager.  Thanks for the idea.  When they happen I can't really pin-point the cause.
"I've weaned off SSRI's over a 4 month period over a year ago.  Still vibrating at night, but it's not daily.  SSRI's made them disappear while I was on them. "

You weaned yourself off SSRIs a year ago.  Now you are troubled by vibrations--which disappeared while you were taking SSRIs.  

I'm not clear about (a) why you weaned yourself off a successful therapy, and (b) why you do not resume the same successful therapy.
I started the SSRI's to ease my anxiety caused by the palps.  I was still getting anxious but not quite as bad.  Secretly I was hoping that the SSRI's would make my palps disappear (Of course they do not).  Mentally I was not feeling myself, I can only describe it as feeling like I had holes in my brain.  My thinking was not stable and solid as it feel when I'm off the drugs.  So I decided that I didn't like the mental effect, I was still a little anxious and still palpitating, so being one that's not keen on taking meds, I decided to stop.
Of course when I feel the crap, I start to rethink my decisions.  So I'm like a dog chasing it's tail, never getting anywhere satisfactorily.
Ironically, last night I had 2 BAD episodes of vibration, tachy, pvc's on top of the tacky, followed by anxiety.  Last night I was again weighing weather or not I should be back on the SSRI's.  When I feel normalish again, I shy away from them thinking I can handle it.  
I feel crazy either way!
Not every SSRI or anti-anxiety med is right for everyone.  My shrink is a specialist in the pharmacology of these drugs, and knows not only the most likely psych responses, but the most likely physiological responses for the body as a whole.  He thus kept my particular problems (PVCs and labile hypertension) in mind.  Even so, we had to try me on four SSRIs, as I recall, to find the one best for me.

It would be good if everyone had a psychiatrist this knowledgeable and flexible.
hi, i just wanted to say ,thank god i discovered this site! and very relieved to say the least that i'm not alone with these frustrating symptoms. i was 28 when i  first started noticing these vibrations just before falling asleep then suddenly waking up, at first i put it down to anxiety,,as sometimes i would wake up with a twitch and feel very stressed and uncomfrtable, but  i then started waking up in the night with the vibrations starting through my chest write down to my lower legs, and at times it would be more intense,  at one stage it really did start to affect my life and my sleep, how ever after a few months it soon went away, it usually comes back once a year for short periods at a time, maybe a few weeks to a month.I guess i have come to grips with it now and try to ignore the effects it has on me,  recently i have been waking up with the vibrations every morning for the last 3 weeks, once i wake i find it very hard getting back to sleep as the vibrations seem to get the better of me, but as i start to fully awaken and become concious the vibrations fade. i am now a young man of 32 and could say i am reasonably healthy and fit.my doctor cant seem to put a finger on it which bothers me but now i feel like i'm not crazy and that there are other people out there that share the same experience. i hope one day we can find the exact cause of this happening and hopefully cure it.as for now, i have accepted it as a part of my life.
Hi All,
I too thought I was crazy.  Last year about mid way through my pregnancy I started noticing the vibrations (at first I thought it was an earthquake - lol).  They are mostly in my abdomen and legs and they are usually when I'm relaxed or just waking up.  About 4 months ago I was diagnosed with Hashimotos Thyroiditis. I'm assuming the vibrating has something to do with this.  I've read that this vibrating is associated with heart problems, sleep problems, low estrogen levels, and MS, all things that (in my mind) are connected to having an auto-immune disease like Hashimotos. When I go to the doctor tomorrow I'll ask her if she has any recommendations, but as with most things she'll probably brush it off.  For anyone who's having this vibrating feeling it may be good to get your thyroid tested or have your doctor to run tests for autoimmunity.
Dear Vibrating Friends,
I am a RN, Nurse Practitioner, Massage Therapist & Meditator.  I have worked with 'vibrations' for many years within my Massage/Healing practice.  My experience is that it is higher vibrational frequencies associated with your Soul.  Instead of trying to 'get rid of it', try non-resistence and welcoming it into you body. Breeeee-athe it all throughout your body and see what you notice ...
Most of the time, it can lead to estacy and a whole new level of peace and wellness.
You've got nothing to lose...  try it and let me know ....
Peace,    Janet   :)
Hi, did you ever get this sorted? I've had it for 18months an still no dr knows what it is.. I've had hypothyroidism for 2yrs an am on levothyroxin (levothyroxine)
Can you safely say that your arrhymias occur AT LEAST once a month? If so request a 30 day event monitor to detect them. That is how we finally caught mine which had been occurring about once a month from March until July. An August 30 day event monitor caught 2 of them. One I was aware of and one I wasn't aware of plus some others I wasn't aware of that are considered benign.

Rather than the older King of Hearts style event montior I had the newer e-Cardio wireless event monitor and it was quite an interesting experience.
You shouldn't be practicing any kind of science.  I hope you haven't made a fool of the medical practice by saying that nonsense to your patients as a NP (if you in fact are one).
Wow.  I'm having these same vibrations.  Had not thought about it being Zyrtec, which I take daily.  But someone also mentioned Ambien, which I take 1/2 nightly.  Hmmmm....does anyone know of a correlation between these two meds and nightime vibrations?
I had whole body vibrations this morning as I was waking up (who knows how long I had them while sleeping).  I saw a very weird scary dream, but I usually overpower those scary dreams and not feel scared at all. I slept with the TV on with medium volume, I guess that was enough not to put me into deep sleep.

I woke up vibrating, I didn't get scared. I was on my side and turned to my back. It was all gone after 3-4 seconds.

My med history, I had a tachycardia 3 weeks ago, I went to the doctor, I had an echo and an ECG, my heart was normal. I don't think the vibrations were heart related as I felt that I had normal heart beats.
I just started feeling these vibrations on my legs 2 months ago. I start to fall asleep on the couch, i get up walk to the bedroom usually this wakes me up a little. When i lay down on the bed and get comfortable my legs start to vibrate and the feeling is almost as if my whole body is vibrating too. This happens for about a minute the it goes away. What a scary feeling the first time i felt this. Now it's not so scary because nothing has happended to me and i just carry on with my life the next day. Had not felt this for about two weeks and just happened again. It is disconcerting to me too. I'm very healthy all blood work is very good. Blood pressure is 66/113 heart rate is 86. Been healthy all my life, thank God. I just turned 50 started having hot flashes 6 months ago. Have not checked my thyroid or hormones. Betcha this has something to do with it. Was taking an Aspirin of 300 mg a day for about 4-5 years. Stopped cold turkey about 2 months ago (actually when i first felt the symptoms). The only med i currently take is 0.1 mg of Lorazepam 5 times a week (for about 7 years). Thats a quarter of a 0.5 mg tablet which is nothing. The only thing I was diagnosed with when i was 30 is Mitral Valve Prolapse (MVP). Lots of women have this and is considered pretty normal. I will go see my doctor as soon as i can regarding the vibrations, for now I'm happy i found this post. I hope my information is helpful to you. At least for me it gave me some peace of mind that other people have felt this too. Good luck to every one.
hi im nicola  i av these vibrations in my body at nite wen im asleep they ,wake me up, for the last 18 mths iv ad every blood test ,body scans and brain scans and my neuro specialist is baffald . i av seen a sleep specialist also. i av been perscribed clanazapam for a test for 6mth and to r surprise it is actualy working ,even tho i havnt been diagnosed because doctors dont now wot i av got.
Saw an old post of yours regarding chest vibrations while sleeping that wake you up. Did you ever find out the cause?
I am going through the same thing. Chest vibrating. Some times it's every morning, then I will have a few nights of peace until it starts again.  It stops once I get up and start moving. They always wake me up after about 4-5 hours of sleep. When I wake up and just lay there it will continue until I get up. Also happens when I lay down for a nap and will wake me up.  Sometimes in 20 mins or 2 hours. I don't do caffeine, 55 yrs old, female just through menopause 4 years ago so I have no raging hormones. Cardiologist and GP have no answers. Had echo and a TEE done. Of course it wouldn't show because I was already up and moving.  Grr. They look at me like I am nuts.  I am seriously thinking of a way to sleep in a sitting up position. I was diagnosed with mitral valve prolapse with severely moderate regurgitation.   Worried that this vibration coming more often means I am at severe regurgitation and it's time for open heart for valve repair.
SO I am hoping there is another reason, benign of course, causing it.  
I had a lot of this 'vibrating' feeling when i was going through menopause. I also get it if I have a virus. I've never been able to describe it well, I've just called it 'an adrenalin rush sort of feeling'. I'm amazed to read how many people experience this. When I've spoken to Drs about it, always as part of a range of symptoms, they haven't ever given it any significance.

One of my women friends had experienced it during menopause also.

I don't like this feeling. I find it raher disconcerting, but It always pases and I only have it occasionally now so i don't worry about it once it has gone.
I think I'll be even less bothered now that i know that it is so common.
I too have these vibrations. I've shrugged them off until my husband told me the bed was vibrating and reached over and felt my legs vibrating. It's very subtle but it's there. It is helpful to hear from all of you about this, but my question is this: what specialist is recommended to look into this? A neurologist perhaps? I have fibromyalgia, and IBS. I'm on a very low dose anti-depressant for the fibro aches, I take a generic allergy pill each morning, and Vyvanse for my ADD. It may be a pharmaceutical condtion too so I will have to check all bases on this. I was just going to let it ride, but after I googled it and read all these "testamonials", there's got to be something to this, hopefully it's just benign.
Hi mport19 and all:  Has anyone here ever thought that maybe, just maybe they are leaving or coming back into their bodies?  Yeah, laugh and say I need to take med, but ladies, ladies...
I have had these body vibrations since I was a teen also, and am now 51.  They are less frequent, but still I wake up at night with my (mostly) upper body vibrating...sound is at a less frequency.  I have learned to check my heart rate and it is always normal.  It's on the inside...the vibrations.
We have a soul that is separate from our body...it's OBEs.  I'm just saying....
Almost every night I fall asleep normally only to suddenly wake up 20-30 minutes later with these feeling of vibration throughout my whole body.  MY heart seems slightly irregular and has the feeling like it wants to start racing.  Sometimes it does, most times it just beats strongly.  The vibrating feeling throughout my body is disconcerting.  I put my hand out to see if I'm actually shaking.  I am slightly but nothing in comparison to what I feel internally.  It last up to 5 minutes, then eventually I fall asleep, only to wake again after 20-30 minutes.  This can happen up to 5-7 times a night.  Eventually I fall asleep and fall into the regular REM sleep. 
Any thoughts?  I have been suffering this problem last two or three month
PS.  I do not drink alcohol, smoke nor take caffeine.
Hi, im not dismissing other peoples medical theorys, but for me the vibration is telepathic. I actually connect with another person. At first I thought i was just dreaming, but now i know its not that. The American government are now spending billions on develeping telepathy within its soldiers, based on vibration. I know not all vibration is this, but mine is.
You hit on a symptom that no one else has talked about.  The vibrating stops for a second or two and then commences again.  I became aware of the vibrating because of the short periods of two seconds when it stopped.  I am treating it like high blood pressure and will stop working so hard for crazy people too many hours on the computer.
Dear vibration co-sufferers,

I partially agree to what AngelGirl111 have mentioned on her post. However, I would like to point out another possible cause of vibration of the body or vibration from the bed occurring specially during the resting time at night. To discover this on your own, I highly recommend that you try to do some testing. First, invest on an effective EMF and/or RF meter and measure the magnetic field, electric field, radio/microwave frequency in the area where you most feel the vibration. You will be amazed of what you will find. I bought a Tri-Field {3-axis} meter on amazon.com, walked around my room with the meter ON and surely found the answer to my vibrational issues. Good luck to all!
I'm a 73 yo male who first experienced occasional, very short duration chest vibration events back in the late 90's.  Co-incidentally one of these events occurred during a night I spent in a sleep lab.  I asked the analyst if it had been detected and they found nothing.  Fast forward to last year when the events became more intense and more frequent, several times nightly. I would awaken from a weird and confusing dream, my heartrate somewhat elevated and a strong pulse, and something I have not seen mentioned in this thread, a completely dry mouth.  It would take about five minutes before I could begin to feel any moisture and during this time my vitals became normal.  I was happy to find this site, it helps remove some of the anxiety.
Hi I have this fast vibrating sensation in my hip area and throbbing in my feet. I was on anti-depressants and sleeping tab for a short while, Faverin, Cipralex, wonder if these are withdrawal symptoms. It really upsets me.  or could this be menopausal, i am 55 years. Jen
I'm currently 36 weeks pregnant with my second child, I'm 25 years old and have just recently started experiencing these internal body vibrations when I'm asleep. At first I thought it was the baby having hiccups or practicing breathing but after doing some research and speaking with my OBGYN I have come to realize that it's not the baby that is making me vibrate. I usually wake up after about 30-60 mins with my entire body vibrating. I have had my boyfriend put his hands on me while I feel these vibrations but apparently they are not detectable from others. I also have been recently having heart palpitations since about 28 weeks pregnant. I will be sitting on the couch watching tv and my heart begins to race dramatically as if I had just ran a marathon and I had to wear an EKG monitor for 48 hours. I haven't received those results back yet but now the vibrations are worrying me as well. They have been dismissed by my OBGYN as just the baby moving but I know what the babys movements feel like and it doesn't vibrate throughout my entire body. I've also woken up a few times within the last couple of months not breathing and believe that may be sign of sleep apnea. All of the comments on here have really helped open my eyes to some of the possible issues that could be causing these bizarre happenings. I will also post on here any conclusions that I find or my doctors find to hopefully give everyone else some insight into what may be causing all of this.
I too suffered from these vibrations, nightly, over about a 6 month period.  Numerous visits to ER, Cardiologist, general prac., Gastro, therapist, etc..... and every test in the book done - all with normal results.  I'm certain they all thought I was making it up!  During this time I was also suffering from severe anxiety (didn't know it at the time).  The vibrations were causing the anxiety, among other issues, and the anxiety was causing the vibrations... a vicious circle.  I found the book by Claire Weekes called Hope and Help for your Nerves and it was a life changer... literally!  I highly recommend it.  The mind and body are a powerful thing.  Our body reacts to every tiny little thought in a variety of ways... this book helped me put it all into perspective!
Thanks for the reference.  I just bought "HOPE AND HELP FOR YOUR NERVES."  Hope it helps.
what did you find out about the inter vibrations
I think my vibrations are from anxiety... I had this reall bad during menapause and now it is back... not eating carbs has helped and I am taking many vits so I will try the book.
Im new here. I suffered frm anxiety since I was 19. Im now 26. Last night was the first time I was awakin by my entire body vibrating. Im scared but am desperate to over come it all someone plz help....
I woke up. When downstairs and fixed myself breakfast. I had coffee, milk, and grilled cheese on wheat bread. Came back to my room afterwards and while lying down, felt what I thought was my cellphone vibrate at the end of my bed. Upon checking my phone noticed it had not vibrated. As I searched the web for answers, I ran into you guys. This is much too large of an occurrence for us to be passive. As I type this msg, my leg from the knee down continues to weird me out! @ 2hrs now!  All I have to say is to check and see what is in what you are eating!