Heart Rhythm Community
Warfarin/coumadin and menstruation

Join others experiencing Heart Rhythm issues. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: symptoms, management, and treatment.

Warfarin/coumadin and menstruation

Hey, all, I have a question about warfarin.  I have to take it for three months since I just had an ablation, and I am wondering if any of you women out there have experienced any heavy periods while being on it.  I'm freaked out because I used to have heavy periods, although they got lighter after I started exercising regularly.  I'm due around February 20th.  Normally, my periods only last a couple of days and I'm worried that on warfarin, I'll be bleeding for a really long time and really heavily.  Any stories/advice?
I've been on warfarin for over a year now and I have not noticed any major change to my periods.  They are sometimes slightly heavier, but if your INR/PI is good, you will not notice any change.  I had the same fear at first, but I promise you are not about to bleed to death!  Maybe you should go for an INR check a couple days before you are due just to be sure.
Thanks, Thinline!  I was picturing myself lying in bed, unable to move from the weakness, bleeding to death and unable to call an ambulance!  Not that I'm an anxious person or anything.  :)  My INR was fine yesterday and I am due to have it checked every Monday so I guess if it's within normal, I'll be ok.  Thanks for the reassurance!  
It's a pleasure.  It's so nice to be able to reassure someone who is going through the exact fear I've been through so I can answer from experience.  Just keep an eye out for anything abnormal and phone your doc if you notice anything different.
I appreciate this post - its the first POSITIVE thing I have found about cumadin (coumadin) and periods on the web.  I almost bled to death after the stillbirth of my son and developed a PE two days later.  Ive been on cumadin (coumadin) and am cycling now and am completely freaked out.  I am terrified of bleeding too much and the web is full of horror stories.  So far things seem heavier than normal, although I am still post pardum, but no "two pads an hour" so far...thanks for the first hopeful thing I've found about this fear!!