Heart Rhythm Community
Warfarin

This patient support community is for discussions relating to heart rhythm issues, arrhythmia, irregular heartbeat, implanted defibrillators, pacemakers, and tachycardia.

Warfarin

I have recently been put on Warfarin for Paroxysmal Atrial Fib.  I feel miserable and anxious on this drug. They continue to up my dose, 11mg. at present.  I have decided to quit the Warfarin but wonder how to go about this. Do I quit cold turkey or taper off?  Anyone else has quit Warfarin and how did you do it?

My symptoms on Warfarin:
widespread pain
diarrhea
dizziness
headache
feeling spaced out
liver congestion
irritablility

In short, I hate this drug and feel FAR worse on this drug then I ever felt without it.  I am healthy with no underlying risk factors. All I have is the occasional run of A-Fib which is usually self-limiting.

I am so fed-up with having drugs thrown at me that make me feel like crap just because it is protocol.  No one seems to take the trouble to even consider whether I actully am better off taking this.  

I wish, wish, wish they would consider ablation and give me a chance to actually have this fixed.  
Sorry, just venting here.  
Back to my question...How do I stop Warfarin.  Don't tell me to contact my Dr. who is vacationing and left us with a replacement who thinks nothing of forgetting to write new orders for INR's and leaving patients wondering for days whether they are going to bleed to death over the weekend.
If I sound frustrated it is probably because I am...BIG TIME!

Thanks!

From what you say I am surprised that you are on Warfarin, with what appears to be only one risk factor I wonder why you are not on just an apirin a day... maybe even a 1/2 aspirin.  I personally don't think much of the low dose aspirin (81 mg).  

I have on many occassions stopped my warfarin for medical procedure reasons.  I take only 5 mg a day.  So, in my exlperience on can stop "cold turkey" without any problems other than an increased chance of blood clots and storke.  I have several risk factors, oncluding permenant AFib, so I have no choice.  I do not have many side effects from Warfarin, but I am on less than half the dose you are taking.

Do discuss with your doctor at your earliest, surely within a week or two.  

Keep in mind I am not telling you it is safe to stop taking your medications, I am just giving you my experience and thinking and leave it to you to decide.  I am not making a recommendation.
Thanks for you response Jerry

I have been on 325 mg aspirin for about 1.5 years but had to stop due to stomach problems.
After that I did not take anything for a while but after being told time and time again about the stroke risk I started Warfarin.  I am not at therapeutic levels yet so that explains the high dosage.

I am sorry you are having so much trouble with warfarin.  What are your INR rates?  I was placed on warfarin when I was diagnosed with AFib.  It was hard for me to maintain therapeutic levels, too.  Because I did not want to risk a stroke, I chose to fight and figure out how to make warfarin management work.  So I made an appointment with a dietitian associated with with my coumadin clinic.  That paid off in many ways. I learned to manage all the foods with vitamin K.  I eat a consistent level of dark greens which helps me level out and stay in the therapeutic range.  Because I am diligent, I have been able to lower my warfarin dose and stay around 2.5.  Once I was able to stabilize my INR, I felt much better.  It is certainly worth a try because you will begin to feel so much better.
ksig