Heart Rhythm Community
Was just told I have PVC's any info would be great!!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to heart rhythm issues, arrhythmia, irregular heartbeat, implanted defibrillators, pacemakers, and tachycardia.

Hi I'm 27 and for the last year and a half every now and then I would feel a heart palpitation about every week or two. For the first whole year the Docs (Military btw) told me I just had anxiety did one of those 5 second EKG things and sent me on my way with some valium, well we just recently PCSed (moved) to a new base and the Docs here took me more seriously and hooked me up to a 24 hour Holter Monitor 2 weeks ago, today I got the call back with the results and he was in a hurry, but he told me I have PVC's and not to worry it's nothing bad at all. I did look it up on Wikipedia, but maybe you all can give some helpful info on it. Like what it is, what not to do, what to do and so on. Anything helps, I have 2 little Boys and really want to take care of myself for their sakes. Thanks!
Tags: PVC, Info
Well, how many do you have? Half the population has at least some. They say they are harmless in a healthy heart (but you need a echo to prove that, but even then its not 100 percent----but its usually right-lol--nothings perfect) anyway---I have way too many for my liking. I hate them. They freak me out, take my breath away, especially when they happen two in a row. I dont take meds for them becaue I dont trust drugs. Some people have an ablation if they have fifteen or twenty thousand or so. Last I checked, I had on my holter-4,000 plus--but that was not during my worst spell. I recently had a horrid time with 20-30 a MINUTE! That is not fun! Tongiht I am up becuse of them being every other beat, then every third then back to every second and every other. ICK. Avoid all caffeine (even chocolate), no smoking, and anything that is a stimulant.
thank you for the info, I only have maybe 1 everyday, Some days I might not even have one, but on my Holter the Doc said he saw 3 when I was sleeping so who knows at this point, going to try to set up an appt. with him to get the exact details, he was really busy today, which is really irritating because I want to hear what he has to say. I do smoke so I will try my best to quit, don't drink coffee, coke or any caffiene, rarely have chocolate. Sorry to hear you have them so bad, I could not imagine having them like that, could you take sleeping pills to help you sleep, or can we not do that? I have never takin sleeping pills, but some nights I will feel the PVC or Palp and then I get anxious and can't sleep! Are they safe to take if you have PVC's?
Well, I wont take any drugs. It my own personal issues I have with them. lol I dont trust them after having damage from some. I know smoking is one the worst things for your heart in every way. I see you are young, so stop while you can. If you only have a few pvcs, then you are having even less than most people that dont know they have them! You are one blessed girl! The sleeping pills--you can google them--type in the name and side effects. If there is anything about the heart, you should be able to find it. Obviously I dont think its going to rev your heart, but boy--sleeping pills are bad habit. Lots of people find they have them on thier left side. I have them on both. maybe you can try laying on the right side. Maybe you can have warm milk or something to relax. (yeah--grosses me out too) lol
lol, I'm not one for taking pills either, I don't even take vitamins, I just eat good vitamin rich foods. I'm actually allergic to a lot of medicines!!! So now I pretty much refuse them, lol. Warm milk actually makes me nauseous :( yeah the stuff is nasty!!
So can anything bad happen to you when you have PVC's? it's scary sometimes, a few times I thought I was having a heart attack and my heart rate went up to 165bpm. That happened when I was in the ER, they gave me a shot in the butt to relax me, I felt like I was drunk off my butt without the dizzy spinning feeling, it was wierd! But even then they said "oh you're just having a panic attack" I said "No, I was just relaxing on the couch with my Boys and felt my heart vibrate, I think somethings wrong with my heart" They did an EKG or ECG the one that takes like 5 seconds. And of course found nothing. ugh! It's just been an awful long road, just glad now that I know there is something actually there instead of worrying all the time!!!
sorry you're going through this - pvc's can happen at any age without rhyme or reason they just pop up into our lives and some feel them, others don't - they may be due to lifestyle or environmental things or you may have an electrolyte imbalance; there's a ton of reasons for their cause

it's very helpful if you watch what you read; some of the articles and research can scare the living daylights out of people and don't ever take your own pulse;  that will scare you even more and is most likely not an accurate count on what's really going on because of the pulse beat variations (Maybe Itdood can explain it better) some technical something like that, I can't remember exactly but I'll try and dig it up and see if I can find the explanation.

there are some of us who have multiple thousands of pvc's a day; if they get to be bothersome such as 6,000 -8,000 your dr can give you a betablocker to see if that helps; and we may feel them when we're relaxing and our pulse is lower more often, so sometimes it does help to exercise daily and make sure to keep your heart strong; I know that helped me =) until I got really sick

try to keep a log, notes or the heart rhythm tracker here to see if you can find a pattern or any triggers

pvc's all depends on how many, where they originate and if you have any structural problems - which is a reason to get a full cardiac workup from a cardiologist outside an ER

the best thing to do is see a cardiologist and tell them of your concerns let them do a full workup. that way you will have a better picture of whats going on and it will put you at ease. most importantly stay calm because when the anxiety kicks in all bets are off you get really worked up trust me i know.

and as you already know smoking is not your friend lol.
Thank you all so much, I'm so glad this site exists!!!