Heart Rhythm Expert Forum
Weight lifting and mitral valve prolapse

Questions in the Heart Rhythm forum cover topics that include heart rhythm issues, arrhythmia, irregular heartbeat, implanted defibrillators, pacemakers, and tachycardia.

Is it advisable for a person with mitral valve prolapse to lift weights?  I am a 63 year-old, very active woman.  I am interested in lifting weights up to 10 lbs. only but have heard that it is not recommended for MVP patients.  I am very symptomatic with occasional irregular heartbeats, shortness of breath, tiredness, chest pain and some intolerance to exercise.
Without seeing you I can't say whether it is safe for you to lift 10 lbs.  I can say that 10 lbs is not much weight.  I think weight lifting precautions are intended for people that are doing heaving weight lifting.