Heart Rhythm Expert Forum
What exactly is Sick Sinus Syndrome

Questions in the Heart Rhythm forum cover topics that include heart rhythm issues, arrhythmia, irregular heartbeat, implanted defibrillators, pacemakers, and tachycardia.

What exactly is Sick Sinus Syndrome

Hello.  My 15 year old daughter has just been diagnosed with Sick Sinus Syndrome (SSS),  I know a little bit about the disease but not enough.  I never thought it was something I would need to be concerned about with my children so I never studied anything about it.  Now they tell me that she has a Supraventricular Tachyarrythmia and it is either in conjunction with or is the cause of Sinus Bradychardia and that she has SSS.  I don't really know what it all means and I feel lost.  I am scared for my daughter.  I want to know exactly what we are dealing with and what we can do to make this better.  They tell me there is no cure but that there is treatment.  That treatment may include a Pacemaker (PM).  How invasive is this surgery?  Is it as bad as and Open Heart ByPass?  I need information. Can anyone help us?

Mami
Pacemaker procedures are usually very straight forward procedures.  It is nothing like a bypass surgery.  Pacemaker procedures are usually less than one hour.  It is true that the only problem is that her heart rates are slow, should should be able to get away with a single lead in her upper chamber.

The sinus node is the origin for of your heart beat.  If someone has SSS, it means that the sinus node is not regulating the heart rate appropriately either with rates that are too slow or with long pauses.

It is also important to say that pacemakers are relatively rare in 15 year olds.  Before you agree to have one implanted, I would see the  opinion of a pediatric heart rhythm specialist.  Many types of SVT are relatively easily treated with an ablation procedures and some of the SVTs that don't require an ablation do not require any medications.

I hope this helps.
Hi  my 11 year old daughter was thought to have SVT also but was eventually diagnosed with Sick Sinus Syndrome.  and as you have been told it is only "fixable" with a pacemaker.  i find that my daughter goes downhill rapidly when she had the slightest little cold as well as any major infections etc.

Would be great to be in touch with you.....don't know of many youngsters with this

Debbie