What is the difference?
I've recently been told that I have mild tricuspid regurgitation and that it's normal.  I also experience PVCs on occasion.  During a checkup my doctor perked up when he noticed a bruit just below my sternum.  He also called it turbulent blood flow.  My question is...What is the difference between a murmur, an arrhythmia, turbulent blood flow and a bruit?  Thanks for your help.  Honestly, I'm freaking out.  Is it possible that I have all 4?
I will try to answer as best as I can; in fact, I was just asking my doctor yesterday what the difference between a bruit and murmur are, I do not have either, but, I have often wondered, anyway, here goes:

A bruit is like water going over rocks, and I believe, according to my doctor, sounds close to the same. Yes, turbulent blood flow is the term they give it as it does sound like turbulence..

A murmur sounds more like a "click" during the first beat or the second, sometimes it will be accompanied by a hiss as well.

An arrythmia is the hear beating out of rhythm, such as a PVC. For example, the little x's are regular beats and the big X is the arrhythima. xxxXxxxXxxXxXxxX, that would be an arrhythmia. Most everyone that post on this forum has the arrhythmia called PVC's or PAC, they are the most common and usually always benign. They are not life threatening, they just steal your quality of life away because they ARE scary, I know they scare me crazy when I have one. They suck.

Sometimes, not always, but sometimes, all these things, the murmur, bruit and arrhythmia can be cause by MVP (Mitral Valve Prolapse) This is rather common, and usually nothing to worry about, in fact, some folks are glad when they are diagnosed with that as they know what is causing the problems and they can cope better.

Here are some links to some sites that might help you.

http://www.mitralvalveprolapse.com/INDEX.htm.htm#What%20is%20MVP
This is about Mitral Valve Prolapse, very informative.

http://www.mvprolapse.com/dysautonomia.html

This is about Dysautonomia, this can be related to MVP.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=heart+S3+S4&btnG=Google+Search

This is the Google site for sites that actually have heart sounds. You can hear how different ones sound. I went to it and found it very informative and helpful.

I know there are hundreds more on the "net" but these are the ones I have looked at. This forum is the best source for questions and also other problems, I really love it.

I hope I have helped you. Try not to be too scared, I am sure your doctor would have pursued matters further if he thought it was serious, but, if you want more reassurance, you can always see another doctor for a second opinion, there is nothing wrong with that. I know saying not to worry is easier said than done, I should practice what I preach. LOL, I get so scared at times, I read these forums and other sites without stop until I am almost nuts, I could get a degree in this stuff.

God bless and Happy New Year
Susie

Thanks so much for taking the time to respond to my question.  I know that I don't have MVP but I do have the tricuspid regurge.  My cardiologist did order a 2D-echo because of the bruit he heard.  I haven't gotten results yet.  I'm very worried.  I know what you mean about driving yourself nuts by reading about this stuff.  This forum makes me feel better somehow.