Heart Rhythm Community
When to take beta blocker

This patient support community is for discussions relating to heart rhythm issues, arrhythmia, irregular heartbeat, implanted defibrillators, pacemakers, and tachycardia.

When to take beta blocker

Hi, I've been taking beta blockers (Propranalol) since February, this is for a problem where my heart was occasionally going very fast and most of the time was generally too fast (resting HR was about 100, 80 if I could really relax). I also have runs of ventricular bigeminy and it helps with these a bit.

My dose is 1 or 2 10mg tablets 3 times a day, Im taking 4 10mg tablets a day in total, 1 1/2 morning and lunchtime and 1 on a night. This is a tiny dose I know but it really has made a huge difference overall. Mr resting HR is 65, HR when exercising goes up to 130 maybe and my runs of bigeminy are less worrying (but still happen most days)

Mq question is related to when I take the tablet. The leaflet says in block capitals it should be before food, I ahve been doing this but did ask the doctor who said it doesnt really matter when I take them with relation to food and shouldnt make any difference. I tried taking them just at 6 am 2 pm and 10 pm and eat at my normal times and they didnt seem to work as well. Its rather incovenient having to try and plan small meals or snacks which remain healthy but can be eated at the times the pills need to be taken. I cants have slow release betat blockers because the smallest dose available is more than twicw what Im taking.

Does anyone have any experience of this or suggestions of how to take the tablets most effectively>
So just to recap, you were taking them in the morning, at lunch and at night but then tried to switch it to take them at 6, 2 and 10 but found them less effective? Honestly I have never heard that you need to take it with food (I'm a pharmacy student and have learned a lot about them). If they were working how you were taking them before and it wasn't with food but you weren't having any problems with lightheadedness or stomach upset, then I'd say go back to what you were doing before.

Hope that helps!

Jill
Taking medicine with food is advices for a variety of reasons and for beta blockers I believe it is to reduce the immediate effect that you would get on an empty stomach.

Here is a web site with information - http://www.nps.org.au/consumers/publications/medicines_talk/mt19/take_with_or_without_food
Hi Jilbee

, I've always taken them at 6,2 and 10 but I have also been having something to eat at those times too. The leaflet with the pills states to take before food in block capitals as though its important, its a nuisance having meals/snacks at those times.

Ive read that taking with food increases the amount of the drug that is absorbed.

I'm going to go with eating at normal times I think, see what happens
I have never heard/read of such low doses, the lowest dose of Metoprolol or Toprol I have taken is 50 mg.  Maybe we are talking about a different medication.  

In any case, the only no-no I know of with BB is not to take it with fruit, such as Orange Juice.  This is a practice I had for years, my 50 mg with OJ and then breakfast.  I forget the problem, I think juice (not just OJ) reduces the effectiveness of BB the best I can recall.

If what you did works and your doctor agrees with your dose regiment, go for it.

Hi, brand name for propranalol would be  'Inderal' I think. Mine are made by company called actavis, just generic tablets. The dose is small, tablets are 10mg
I take 25 mg. tablets of Atenolol, break them in quarters and take them about 3-4 hours apart during the day.  I take between one and one-and-one-half daily.  If I take a whole tablet, or even a half, my blood pressure drops too much and they knock me out.  I was taking Toprol XR before the Atenolol, but my cardiologist said Atenolol does not pass the blood/brain barrier and therefore should cause me less dizziness.  Even when I was on the Toprol, I broke it in half and took 1/2 in the morning and half at night.  One cardiologist also suggested medium strength support stockings (not the ones needing an Rx) and that helps keep my bp up, so the bb can do it's job and keep my heart rate down.  Sometimes I have to lengthen the time between doses because my bp is too low.  It's complicated, but it seems to work.  If I can't take the Atenolol, I take 1/2 of a .25 Xanax to cover the gap.  It helps with the adrenaline surge too.  Hope this is of some help.

BTW, I don't think the food is an issue.  It has not been for me anyway.  
I'm doing the same. Propranolol is great for slowing a normal heart rhythm, especially if there are mental causes for the tachycardia. Metoprolol only works on the heart.

My advice is to do as your doctor said, but to answer your question, propranolol don't solve in water, just fat. So you won't get the same effect without food.

I try to eat a little when taking it (I usually only do before exercise or stress, because my heart races a little, I'm struggling with some light anxiety). Just a little fat, like a small piece of chocolate or some omega 3 pills works fine for me. Of course, wthat's just me, I can't give you any specific advice concerning medications.
I have quite a few PVCs a day, but chose not to take a beta blocker anymore.  Not only do they make me very tired and zombie-like, but they make my acid reflux much worse. I can't take the discomfort.