Heart Rhythm Community
Where can i get some Magnesium

This patient support community is for discussions relating to heart rhythm issues, arrhythmia, irregular heartbeat, implanted defibrillators, pacemakers, and tachycardia.

Where can i get some Magnesium

Where can i get some Magnesium
It's readily available in the vitamin section of any pharmacy or grocery store. More variety can be found in stores specializing in food supplements and the like.

Not hard to find.
Depends on what you want to use.  The only one I could find in stores was magnesium oxide.  Mag Ox isn't very absorbale (<8% will be absorbed).  Chelated mag is more absorbable and the best two I've found are Mag Taurate and Mag GLycinate.  I use Kal Magnesium Glycinate and Cardio Research Mag Tuarate.  I get them from Amazon.  There's also some good reviews on Amazon for the various mag supps.

Also, research on supplementing with mag, as you should be getting some calcium with it too.  I've heard 2:1 ratio called for, which means twice as much calcium as mag.  I take about 300 mg chelated mag per day so I also take 600 mg cal +D.
You can buy it from any local drug stores and even grocery stores. I take 2-250 mg tables every morning for more control of my irregular heartbeats.. works wonders for me!

I agree with itdood. There are so many combinations for magnesium. It depens what you are looking for.

About 3 months ago I bought a book from Carolyn Dean, MD, ND, "The Magnesium Miracle". This is what I found.

There are different types of magnesium:

Oral supplements
Magnesium oil
Magnesium shots

The best forms of magnesium are magnesium taurate, magnesium glycinate, magnesium citrate, magnesium malate, magnesium oratate and magnesium oil.

Oral supllements
I will mention some of the oral supplements. Magnesium is available in chelated (bound to) combinations such as alpha-ketogluconate, aspartate, glycinate, lysinate, orotate, taurate and others.

Chalated magnesium is far better absorbed than magnesium oxide but is more expensive. Complementary medicine practitioners rely on chelated magnesium, such as magnesium glycinate, taurate and oratate  (magnesium plus amino acids) to treat serious cases of magnesium deficiency. These kind of magnesiums have less laxative effect on the intestines than magnesium citrate, so they are recomended if you tend to have loose stools.

Magnesium taurate is a combination of the amino acid taurine and magnesium that has special properties for the heart. Taken together in this combination, magnesium and taurine have a synergistic effect, stabilizing cell membranes, making this form of magnesium highly absorbed. Magnesium taurate does not have great laxative effect and is the recommendend form of magnesium for people with heart problems. It appears that the amino acid taurine is important for hearth health and may prevent arrythmias and protect the heart against the damage caused by heart attacks. Magnesium taurate requires oral supplemetation for six to twelve months to restore intracellular levels.

Magnesium citrate is probably the mostly widely used magnesium supplement because it is inexpensive, easily absorbed and only has a mild laxative effect. The best form is magnesium citrate powder mixed in water that can be taken everyday.

Magnesium malate combines magnisium with malic acid, a weak organic acid found in vegetables and fruit, especially apples. The weak bond with magnesium makes it readily soluble in the body. Malic acid is a key component of several energy making chemical reactions in the body. Researchers have used magnesium malate succesfully to treat the chronic fatigue, pain and imsonia of fibromyalgia. Dimagnesium malate increases the amount of magnesium available to the body; it has the same properties as magnesium malate.

Magnesium oxide appears to have high amount of elemental magnesium. One 500 mg capsule of magnesium oxide contains 300 mg of elemental magnesium. But little of that amount is avaialable to the body beacause it is not absorbed and therefore not biologically available.  One recent study reported 4 percent absorption rate of magnesium oxide. This means 12 mg of 500 mg capsule are absorbed and 288 may stay in the intestines, acting like a laxative. Imagine how much favorable the result would be if a more absorbable form of magnesium were used.

Magnesiums to avoid
Avoid magnesium glutamate; it breaks down into the neurotransmitter glutamic acid, which without being bound to other amino acids is neurotoxic. Glutamic acid is a component of aspartame, which should also be avoided.

Avoid magnesium aspartate; it breaks down into the neurotransmitter aspartic acid, which without being bound to other aminoacids is neurotoxic. Aspartic acid is a component of aspartame,which als should be avoided.

How to take magnesium
Take your first dose of magnesium when you wake up in the morning and the last dose at bedtime. Magnesium is most deficient in the early morning and late afternoon. Most people find magnesium as good as a sleeping pill to help them get a good night’s rest.

Magnesium can be taken with or without meals, but it is preferable to take it between meals for better absorption. Magnesium requires stomach acid to be absorbed. After a full meal, your stomach acid is busy digesting food and may not be available to help absorb magnesium. Also magnesium is an alkaline mineral and acts like an antiacid: taken with meals, it may neutralize stomach acid and impair digestion.

If you develop loose stools while taking magnesium, it does not necessarily mean you are absorbing enough and losing the rest; it may mean you are taking to much at one time. NEVER TAKE YOUR DAILY MAGNESIUM ALL AT ONCE. Spread it out throughthe day; four times a day is best if you have been experiencing diarrhea. If that does not do the trick, you probably need to cut back the amount you are taking or switch to another type or brand of magnesium.

If you are taking a multivitamin-mineral supplement, remember to check the amount of elemental magnesium on the label and count it in your daily total.

The safety of magnesium supplements
For the average person, oral magnesium, even in high dosages, has no side effects except loose stools, whichs is a mechanism to release excess magnesium and an indication to cut back. Excess magnesium is also lost through the urine.

SUPPLEMENT FOR HEART DISEASE
Magnesium taurate: 125 mg four times per day
Coenzyme Q10: 30 mg three times a day
Bromelain: 500 mg three times a day between meals
Vitamine E as mixed tocopherols: 400 IU twice a day
Crategus tincture: 20 drops two or three times a day
Rutin or quercitin (bioflavonoids): 500 mg daily
Biotin: 5 mg daily

I started in mid june with magnesium oxide 250 mg 2 times a day with a meal. Although it has low absorption it did the trick by reducing the PVC's I was having. In mid august I started taking magnesium citrate 400 mg a day. In september I switched to another beta blocker. I was not feeling well with my stomach and I stopped the magnesium thinking that that was the reason. I got tachycardia after 4 month of being tachy free. *****! Last saturday I switched back to my former betablocker and to my mag citrate.

Like itdood I also ordered mag taurate from amazon.com. Because I think that is the best magnesium for hearth disease. you can also buy it at the Vitamine Shoppe. I am looking forward to take that.

I wish you all well,

Amethyst

Excellent information. Thanks for posting it!