Heart Rhythm Community
Why does cardionet event monitor record when nothing is wrong??

This patient support community is for discussions relating to heart rhythm issues, arrhythmia, irregular heartbeat, implanted defibrillators, pacemakers, and tachycardia.

I am on a 30 day event monitor (Cardionet - Afib).  You record an event or it self records.  Either way, it beeps and then you have to transmit your event via the telephone and then clear it out.

I have had the event monitor on for 11 days.  I had one incident where it recorded by itself (it scared me because I wasn't doing anything).  All the rest I recorded due to anxiety, palpitations, chest pain, etc!  I suffer from anxiety quite a bit.

It just did an automatic recording without me recording.  When I called to transmit it they said it didn't come in as clear as my other ones (because I transmitted it through the cell phone).  She said they could read things though.  I then asked her if she means it didn't look as good as the other ones and that there is a problem.  She then said no, it just isn't as clear but that she could still read the heartbeats, etc.  Then I said "is there a problem" and she said "It isn't anything I need to call your Dr about".

Why would it go off and self record if there isn't a problem??  I'm going to call the office tomorrow and ask.  Kind of freaks me out.

Thank you.

Susan
Read my post, I am on the CardioPal Savi, and having same issue, its making me nuts, I have had it on for 50 hours and I had to call in twice, and I was told nothing to call dr about, its going to give me a heart attack.
I just finished a 21-day event monitor through ecardio, and I swear them calling me everytime I pushed the button gave me more palps than anything else. It was always monitoring and I was afraid they were seeing something I wasn't feeling so everytime my home or cell phone rang...I freaked! I told everyone I know not to call me during that time unless absolutely necessary. They also asked different questions everytime they called...One time they asked what city I was in and I thought they were going to call out an ambulance for me. Luckily, I was in NSR 98% of the time with a few noted PAC's, PVC's and some tachycardiac episodes...He told me to live my life, these absolutely would not kill me. He said I had a very annoying heart and he was sorry that some people endured this. He said there are a lot of people in much worse shape and don't even know it.  So I am taking his advice and trying to not let the anxiety and panic continue to overtake me. Best to you both!
thank you so much!

I appreciate your comments - both of yours!

Susan
I know when i had mine it would not only record the "bad" events but also recorded random mid stream normal rhythm and i think it was for a comparison for the doc.  The bottom line is the bottom line...i wouldnt worry too much unless the doc calls you...those people at the call centers have alot of training and know exactly what to look for and when to make the call to the doc.  I had to laugh at the other two posts because it was like they were talking about my life when i had the cardionet too.  Like i always say when it comes to the heart bad news comes super fast from heart docs so count your lucky stars as they say....
thank you!!  :-)  
Only 2 more weeks and 2 days left  :-)
I'm pretty sure these record all the time.  When you press the button it's not to start a recording but to simply start a logging mechanism that will alert the clinicians right on the strip when you felt something weird.  Also with cardionet, if you choose that an event made you feel faint or that you passed out, they will be alerted and they will contact you to see if you need help even if the strip is clean.

These things will report on how many total beats there are in a given 24 hour period, what percentage of beats are PVCs, etc.  They also record during the night when you can't press a button.  The only way to arrive at those statistics is to record all the time.

I used Cardio Net too.  I loved it, but mine had a built in cell phone so it phoned home on its own when it needed to upload data.  

It's interesting how the anxiety makes you think it's something you are doing to make it need an upload.  Anxiety is a great motivator, if it weren't for anxiety we wouldn't run from fire or worry about food and shelter or keep pressing for that promotion.  Without anxiety I'd predict one would not last very long.  But sometimes in our modern world it can be irrational at times.
I am still waiting, I called EP this morning, hey still have not received the scripts from the weekend, ugh!!!!   They make you crazy and then make you wait for answers, I disconnected my monitor until my EP calls, I can't drive myself nuts
I wore my 30 day monitor religiously for the entire duration.  I discovered a couple things that would give garbled data or errant auto-trigger recordings.  The primary problem is bad  electrode placement.  There is a placement zone, but it wasn't clearly defined at least to me.  If you get outside of this zone, you can get false triggers.  I also found that a few of the retail store security checkpoints cause mine to trigger.  It clearly beeped as I walk thru the coil field of the checkpoint. You must also have a good connection between the pad and your skin.  Adhesive from the previous day must be completely removed.  After a week of use, I was able to roll little adhesive balls off my skin even though it looked completely clean.  After that, every few days, I used nail polish remover and a cotton swab to fully disolve the adhesive.

My event recorder recorded a constant, but limited stream of data.  As new data was recorded, old data was scrolling off the back end.  The the event button was pushed or if it was auto triggered, it would jump back 2 minutes and commit that to the first memory slot, and contiue to record for one minute afterwards. After the three slots were filled, I had to download the data or it wouldn't record any further.  After downloading, I pressed the reset button, the 3 memory slots were erased, and it was ready to go once again.  Also, my recorder had no time stamp, it was pure heart data.  I kept a small log of the time, and what I was doing so I could inform the tech when she asked.
I just got this thing two days ago and I have a question, why do I have to put one electrode on my left side of my chest and two on my right side?, shouldn't that be placed the other way around? I'm not sure, just want to make sure I'm doing it right. Thanks:)
I've had heart palpitations off and on since 1992, after the birth of my son. I was told I was an anxious mother : / they began again in 2010 and I was Dx'd with PVC's and put on 50mg of atenolol which helped for awhile. Then they started again, maybe one a month at first, now up to, at times, every few minutes. I'm currently on a 2 week to 30 day event monitor as well. I can't say I know if it's recorded on its own but I've hit the record button myself numerous times. It kinda 'yanks my chain' that you can't send the recordings over a cell phone, I mean, hello!!! These companies need to catch up with technology. So now, I have to travel to find a landline just so I can send clear precise events. Not happy about that going on for several weeks.
So far, the technician has said, ooooo I do see allot of little strange things you're feeling but none are life threatening or alarming" lmao, whelp, that's nice to hear.....
I go back for a f/u in June.
I feel for anyone suffering from these like I do, when it happens, it throws you into a panic attack, makes me dizzy, I feel weak, and if the episodes continue, I have no energy. It's hard not knowing if you'll have a good or bad day and lord, when the start during sex? Well, it messes that up too.
I'm wondering, for us ladies anyway, if these aren't somehow hormone related.....
Feel free to contact me: kristal elzey Walters on Facebook or ***@****
To comment on why does it constantly record? Once YOU hit record button, it'll will save one minute of what was going on BEFORE you hit record and 30 seconds after as well. I made sure to ask as I was like, ok, so, I hit record but it had already started before I got to my record button, the tech assured me that this is why it's recording all the time, so it WILL capture the event.
I have had palpitations for about 20 years.  Was put on Tiazac and that helped as long as I took the medication at the same time each day.  Was just put on a 30 day event monitor. Also had echocardiogram which shocked me and my doctor with only a 25% ejection fraction.  Monday I see a heart failure cardiologist.  I've been put on lisinopril and carvedilol in the meantime.  Not wanting to scare anyone, but I guess an echocardiogram is the best way to tell if palpitations are causing any heart damage.  My husband just had 5 stents placed on May 2nd.  Neither of us have had history of heart disease so this is quite a shock to both of us.  Good luck.  I wear my 30 day monitor for another few days and will be happy to get rid of it.