Why does my heart start racing suddenly?
i am 21 years old and i was diagnosed with sinus tachycardia, i am taking beta-blockers to treat this. my question is why does my heart start racing all of a sudden. it happens when i don't make any effort at all, all i do is sit and watch a movie for example and my heart starts racing and starts beating really hard (like it's jumping out of my chest). i had a ekg holter put on and i caught one of those moments, i practically had about 70-80 beats per minute and then all of a sudden my heart started racing and it went up to 98. this happens to me at least once a day without making any effort. i haven't had any alchool or caffeine in the last 3 months so that can be ruled out.
i had a thyroid test done and it's not that. i also had numerous ekgs done and they found nothing. i've seen a few doctors and they told me its nothing dangerous and they sent me home
ljd

I was diagnosed with sinus tach 2 years ago.  Like you it would come on at no specific time.  On my holter I reached 140 bpm.  I take Toprol daily.  All I can say is that it does take a while to get used to.  It took me a good 6 months to actually accept it and deal with it.  Hopefully the beta blockers will work and you can get back to some kind of normalcy.
Hi there.  In the cardiac world, we wouldn't even say 98 beats per minute is tachy.  My resting heart rate when I was in my twenties was 96.  I was put on a beta blocker and it took it to 72.  That was 30 years ago.  If I go off the beta blocker, it goes right back up.  Amazing, huh?  The only problem is that I have no stamina and have always gotten tired easier than others.  Oh well.  72BPM is much more comfortable.
my normal pulse is 70-80 beats per minute. when my heart suddenly started racing my pulse went up to 98 beats per minute while on beta-blockers, i dont even want to know how high it would have gone if i wasn't on beta blockers.
The problem with the beta blocker is it masks tachycardia. And so even if one is experiencing a rate as low as 80 you can still feel like your heart is racing. Baring mind that it is normally only 61 beats per minute