Why start Coumadin for A trial Fibulation
I am 52 w/ high blood pressure. I had started exercise, changes in diet and had an apisode of Atrial fibulation. Went to emergency room and they gave me a cardiac drug to get my rthym back to normal. I stayed 3 days in hospital and the Dr started me on Coumadin and Lopressor. Is it normal to be gien coumadin for atrial fibulation (just one episode of it?) Lopressor makes me tired but It seems to make my heart rate and blood pressure lower. Thanks for any advice. (I do go in for ina level check once a week. So far I am taking 11mg of Coumadin).
It could be that your doctor feels you may be at risk for another afib episode and wants to be safe.  This depends on what what type of afib you had and other risk factors such as weight, BP, and what they are seeing on your EKG.  In any case the best source for your question would be the doctor that placed you on coumadin.
Hi Lee, perhaps your Drs thinking is that until he is entirely sure of whats going on he wants you on Coumadin to keep your blood thinned to reduce your risk of a stroke. After he gets the levels where he wants them he will back your INRs down to monthly. Was there any talk of an ablation? If so thats another reason he would have started you on coumadin.

keep the faith and best of luck
gary
It's best to stay on coumadin for now,in case you have another episode of Atrial Fibrillation. When I first started with A Fib.,I did not go on coumadin since it only happened occasionallyThen the A Fib. lasted several days and I was started on coumadin by my M.D.,but it was too late ,I had a stroke
The same thing happened to me as piddleypop, except I didn't, thank God, have a stroke.  I had a 4 1/2 day episode of a-fib and my Dr said, "You can either go on Coumadin or sit back and wait for a stroke."  So, for the past 6 mo I've been on it. No real problems or side-effects, just having to keep the levels in line.  The reason the Dr probably wanted to start you on it is you may have had undetected episodes of arrythmia.  Have you worn a 30 day event monitor?  That would show you and your Dr the activity of your heart continuously for the last month. Your Dr just wants to be cautious with your high blood pressure and all.  We all hate to take these meds but sometimes we have to "follow our Dr.'s orders." I've had a-fib (PAF) for several yrs off and on but I don't have high blood pressure. Please take a look at my 3 short journals and you will see my journey in a nutshell.  Good Luck and Welcome Aboard!