Aa
A
A
Close
Why tachycardic after eating carbs
I am trying to find out why my heart rate doubles after I eat carbohydrates — especially simple carbohydrates, and especially on an empty stomach.

My resting heart rate is 52 BPM. About thirty minutes to one hour after eating simple carbs on an empty stomach — sugar, white bread, candy bars, etc. — my heart rate jumps to 100 BPM, and my chest tingles.

I am 45, male, overweight. I have daily PVCs and Bradycardia with no symptoms. I have been diagnosed with lone atrial fibrillation. It has happened four times — each time lasting 6-20 hours — and always when exerting myself after eating — lifting weights, basketball, etc. I have learned to exercise in the mornings before I eat. Otherwise, my heart will flop like a fish.

My M.D. does not know why it occurs. My blood tests always come back normal. I am not diabetic and my cholesterol is low.

If I eat complex carbs, and/or small portions, my heart rate will not get too high. Maybe 75-80 BPM. I understand lifestyle changes will most likely correct or ease this problem, but I would like to know what causes it.

Any ideas?

Thank you!
Cancel
1 Answers
Page 1 of 1
What you are experiencing is called postprandial tachycardia, and it is--in general--normal.  Digestion takes energy, and the heart's job is to produce oxygen for work.
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Comment
Post Comment
Your Answer
Answer
Do you know how to answer? Tap here to leave your answer...
Answer
Answer
Post Answer
A
A
Doctor Ratings & Reviews
Who are the top-rated Cardiologists in your area?
Heart Rhythm Community Resources
Top Arrhythmias Answerers
1807132 tn?1318747197
Blank
Chicago, IL
1423357 tn?1511089042
Blank
Central, MA
Blank
Blank
12492606 tn?1459877633
Blank