Will stress and anxiety cause PVCs?
I have a history of panic and anxiety.  Recently i have started having skipped heart beats that have increased my anxiety.  The 5 months leading up to the first real episode of PVC's or "skipped beats" (followed by a strong beat) I have been under a tremendous amount of stress.  I notice that when my anxiety level is low either i don't notice the PVC's or I don't feel them.  I had and EKG, and an echocardiogram and both were perfectly normal.  My cardiologist said that giving me a stress test would only be for my peace of mind as he has not doubt that i do not have any cardiac issues (he said i had an athletic chamber).  I wore a holter for 48 hours completed yesterday but i have not received the results.  Yesterday I was very tired, disconnected and anxious...i even had panic attacks last night.  Could this be from PVC's or anxiety?  Will taking an anti depressant like Zoloft (which i was on about 3 years ago for panci disorder) reduce PVCs by way of reducing anxiety?

I am hopeful a doctor can answer these questions and any other memebers who experience the same issues.
Anxiety can surely cause the PVC's and the more anxious, the more PVC's, I know the more nervous I get the more "flutters I notice, it is a vicious circle. It is great that all your tests are normal and that your doctor is so confident, this should help ease your mind some.

The Zoloft might help since it helps with anxiety, I would ask the doctor and also discuss your other concerns as well.

Hi..first of all..a Dr wont necessarily answer on this forum. You would need to post in the "Ask A Dr" forum, also on this website. But..I swear, there are people on here that know just about as much!! Just from experience.
Ive had skipped beats ( PVCs..PACs) for about 15 years. Ive had aniety, panic attacks, and general anxiety for just about as long. So I, too, am well versed in all of this rotten stuff.
I do not believe that stress/anxiety can CAUSE the palpitations. I dont think they are the sole cause. But...once youve had them--I know FOR SURE that stress and anxiety can  create them, and worsen them. I am living proof. I really havent had a "panic attack" ( mine manifest as shortness of breath..sweating..shaking) in several years.
But..I have "generalized anxiety" every day pretty much. Its a viscous circle. The palpitations bring on the anxiety, which brings on the palpitations..which brings on more anxiety..and so on and so on...

Over the years, I too, have had ALLL the tests. Even a Thallium stress test. Every single one of them, including 1 ER visit a few years ago, and a holter monitor as recent as 2 weeks ago, have turned out absolutly perfect. Over these years, Ive seen 3 different cardiologists, and they have all told me the same thing; I have a structurally normal heart...that my palps are increased by stress and anxiety. So the two definatly do "bring them on". I am on medication to reduce the workload of my heart, which in turn can reduce the palpitations, but not get rid of them. I think all of us here would pay good money to find a drug that would indeed "get rid" of them!!! I know I would.
I have been on several of the antidepressants, also used for anxiety...zoloft, paxil, etc..etc..I just didnt find one that I really felt good on, but so many people use them with no problems every day. Im the odd one out on that I think.
I do take Xanax, a short-term anti-anxiety med. It works for me--again, does not get rid of the palps, but it does relax me, so that I dont get so worked up when I have them.
It sounds like your heart is in excellent shape, and that you are going to have to join us here in the group that just DEALS with, and lives with these damn things! They are horrible...but coming here....at least for me, really really helps alot. Just knowing that here, people understand....
Take care...and use this forum ..it really helps!
Hi BillTheCat.

Ack.  Sorry, had to do it.

The hardest part about  PVCs and anxiety is the loop the two can create.  You get stressed about work, or home, or whatever, and it causes a few PVCs.  If they're new to you, then it causes a great deal more anxiety.  Which causes more PVCs.

When under stress the body is releasing more adrenaline, making the path between you and the fight-or-flight response shorter.  Put that into heart tissue already irritated from too much adrenaline from the previous stress and those ectopic foci are ready to organize and stage a coup.  

Zoloft may work, but from personal experience you need to go into that with eyes open to some negative possibilities.  Some people report their skipped beats actually get worse with Zoloft.  The purpose of this SSRI as I've seen described in lay terms is to make you happier and give you the energy to get out do something.  I've had my own negative experience with Zoloft, but it came from a specific mfg of the generic version (Sertraline).  As I researched the process for generic drug approval it was no longer a surprise to me how generics can be so different from each other, from maker to maker.  So if you're going to start on Zoloft, start with the name brand.  You can expect to pay about 10X the cost of generic, but at least for that first month you can get a feel for what it can do, and from there you can start to try the generics.

You can email me privately about specific generic mfgs and my experience with them, if you'd like.  Might help to pick the right one for you.
Do try and relax as best you can. The more you worrie the worst it gets this is a true fact. I have the same problems, it will most sertialy be better.

ML
I realize that these posts are ancient by now, but I just had to tell you all how thankful I am that I found this site.  I've been under tremendous stress, diagnosed with acute anxiety and panic attacks.  Recently realized that my always reliable perfect sinus rhythm is throwing PVCs - continuously.  My heart starts racing, can't breathe, then I start crying.  None of which is conducive to going to work everyday.  Now I can't tell what is causing what - are the PVCs causing the panic or vice versa.  I'm desperate to get this under control.  I try to go to work and the smallest thing will set the whole cycle into motion.  Before I found this site I thought I was crazy.  Now I know this is a very physical reaction to stress.  ...and I'm a nurse, I should know better.

Thank you all for the information.
I'm a nurse and get the same exact thing. My PVCs seem to be brought on by physically or mental stress. And bedtime was the worse for actually feeling these PVCs. Let me tell you.... prozac was my miracle drug. I don't suffer from depression I was placed on this strictly for anxiety. It was a life changer. I don't get the palpitations anymore. I have tried betablockers, paxil, and celexa. And prozac works!!!!
Hey, I have a question are you all still posting?
I started having PVC"s about 6 years ago and was told that they're benign. I worked myself up so bad that it landed me in the ER and getting a heart catherization 4 days after that. I was told my arteries were crystal clear and no heart damage. I've recently been getting PVC"s once again after a panic attack about a month and a half ago. Now the anxiety and panic once again have snowballed into that vicious cycle where I'm thinking that something is wrong even tho my cardiologist and primary physician assured me that everything is okay. Our minds are a powerful tool that controls the rest of our body parts and if our brain is negative then the rest will follow. My advice is to keep moving forward and don't let the anxiety run our lives. Keep feeding your brain healthy thoughts and the anxiety will eventually give up. Good luck to all and God bless.
I just found out that i have PVC. But i don't really feel anything. Like sometimes i have pains in the left side of my chest. I use the get checked every 3 months because i have ADHD so i had to go for a check up. Well 2 weeks ago i went and the noticed that my heart would beat fast and then stop and then it would beat slow and then stop. So they sent me to a heart doctor. They did another ECG on me and they took picutres of my heart to see if it was okay. Then they sent me home on a heart moniter. I still haven't got the results back. But since May i have been under alot of stress. and i was wondering if that could be the case of it.