Heart Rhythm Expert Forum
Worried about heart / pulse pressure

Questions in the Heart Rhythm forum cover topics that include heart rhythm issues, arrhythmia, irregular heartbeat, implanted defibrillators, pacemakers, and tachycardia.

Worried about heart / pulse pressure

I'm a bit worried about my blood pressure but in particular my pulse pressure.  Blood pressure ranges from 119/40 to 139/65.  My average pulse pressure seems to be around 70-80. Below are a few readings I took over a couple of days (blood pressure and pulse pressure)-

119/40   79
121/43   78
116/43   73
117/40   77
118/41   77
116/41   75
111/41   70
129/50   79
115/60   55

Are these lower values something to be concerned with?  I went to the doctor with chest pains around a year or so back and he said I had a slight heart murmour.  I underwent tests at the hospital, ecg, excersise test, ultrasound etc and everything looked ok although something quite wasn't right but the examiner couldn't tell me exactly what as he wasn't qualified so it was passed over to the specialist.  Over a year has passed and I heard nothing back so thought no more of it untill recently when I took these readings!  I know the readings are correct as the rest of my family has tried using it and get average readings of 120/80.

I've used steroids in the past and this was when the chest pains seemed to start but I have stopped that all around 18months back.
I agree that your diastolic pressure seems a bit low, but in the absence of any valvular heart disease, this should be a problem.  sometime people with a leaking aortic valve will have wide pulse pressures, but if you don't have a murmur and otherwise feel well, this is unlikely the case.  If your echocardiogram was normal, you do not have a valve problem.

Your blood pressures look pretty good.  If you haven't seen a doctor in a year, it might not be a bad idea to have a check up.  The pulse pressure does not seem that concerning though.

I hope this helps.
Thanks for your reply.

When I first went to the doctors, they said I had a slight heart murmour and referred me for a scan of the heart and further testing.  The results of this was that they didn't think I had a murmour but "something on the ECG wasn't quite right but nothing to be concerned about".  I never heard anything back since.  Is it worth me going back to my GP for further testing?
if you are concerned or if there is a new symptoms, it is worth seeing your GP again.