Young man + heart symptoms
My son[34yrs] started suffering from racing heart, chest pain, breathlessness & agitation a few weeks ago. Additionally he felt nauseous & exhausted after doing something like washing his car. Saw Cardiologist who did ECG which showed septal infart age undetermined.Also had Echocardiogram & at first the Cardiolist thought there was hole between 2 of the valves or chambers [ my son not sure which ] but then he decided the Echocardiogram was normal. He told my son that he had a heart murmer[ we were all unaware of this ] & also told him that he was not born with it  nor had he developed it recently. When my son then asked him what was the reason for his symptoms if not his heart he was told probably muscular. Muscular pains do not cause racing heart, breathlessness, agitation, exhaustion & nausea however & I am now very concerned. Why would my son develop a murmer ? Given his symptoms , the heart murmer & the ECG  do you think he has a heart problem & should he get a second opinion/ further tests. Many thanks . Harihot
Hello...

EKG's are meant to miss absolutely nothing. Sometimes they will overcall certain things. If there are findings suggestive of some type of infarct, an Echo is done to rule this in or out. If the Echo ruled this out, then you can consider the finding on the EKG an overcall. I, myself, have had numerous EKG's report an MI, I've had plenty of Echo's to tell me that at no time did I sustain an MI.

Did the Dr hear the murmur or was this revealed by the Echo? It may be due to some regurgitation in the mitral valve. We all, to some extent, have a detectable amount of regurgitation. It can be a trace amount, mild, or moderate amount. I can't say that I know for sure that he doesn't have a heart problem...I will say that it should be followed by further testing to rule it out. You didn't mention that he had any type of blood work to check Electrolytes or hormone levels.

Pains in the chest that are not related to the heart are usually diagnosed as Chostocondritis. When pain is experienced it can cause an increased heart rate. When you say racing heart, what is your definition of racing? I do believe that he should have further tests. Once the results of those are back you may have a clearer picture to what is causing his symptoms.

I hope that he is able to get this resolved soon. And as a mother myself, I know how worrisome it can be when our children are sick and there aren't simple explanations as to the cause:)