Heart Rhythm Community
Zaps and Entry incisions on Ablation

Join others experiencing Heart Rhythm issues. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: symptoms, management, and treatment.

Zaps and Entry incisions on Ablation

Had ablation on 15th - today the 20th.  Had incisions with tubes in groin, wrist and neck so all areas of both atrial could be reached, and zapped 5 times.  Day after I could hardly breath was in such pain but sent me home anyhow. Am feeling somewhat better now but am still having mild "flutters" every day.  Doctor said this is normal for up to 3 months.  Boy, hope I am the small % that takes the first time around as this was very unpleasant to go through.  Anyone else have so many incisions and zaps??  
I've had 3 ablations, only 2 incisions, one in each femoral vein with 2 catheters going into each vein via French sheath. I've heard of some folks having another cath put in the neck. I'm glad I never needed that one. I've never heard of one in the wrist, only an IV in the wrist or arm.

True, the heart is irritated after an ablation and needs time to heal so it may flip flop and flutter for awhile. Hope the ablation helped.
Avatar n tn
I had a ablation done Feb 4th for Afib. I don't know how many burns that I had. I still have flutters and skipped beats. But they say that this normal. I have had a couple of afib episodes too. They say this is normal. I hope that I am one that it  works for the first time too. I was on the table for 5 hours. My catheters was only in my right leg. There was no pain but it was really bruised. The only thing that hurt me with my back I guess from having to lay flat on it for so long.
Got your note. Just wanted to say that ablations are being used more frequently it seems. Better than a lifetime of medications. Not everyone needs more than one ablation. My heart just happens to be a bit overactive with various arrhythmias. I've had over 30 burns to my heart to whip it into shape. It's amazing how much the heart can take and keep on ticking.

Hope you feel better soon.