ablasion vs. pacemaker
My father is 73 years old.  We are trying to figure out if we should go direclty to the insertion of a pacemaker vs. an ablasion procedure.  Since ablasion procedure may need to be repeated and flecainide (drug after ablasion) is questionable, should we just go directly to the pacemaker?
thank you
In my opinion, I guess it would depend on a lot of things.  You didn't say what this procedure would be for?  Does he have any underlying conditions.  How "old" of a 73 is he?  I know 73 year old men who run, ski, and do other active hobbies where a pacemaker might be troublesome.  Another factor is cost of the procedures.  Would they be covered under his Medicare and any supplemental insurance?  I have an 84 year old friend who just had an ablation for A-Fib., and she's doing great.  Ablation therapy is not a dangerous life threatening procedure for most people.  Depending on his problem, ablation therapy might be something certainly worth looking at.
And @Tom.  I'd suppose a pacemaker would be more invasive and difficult than ablation. (just me guessing - if you'd like to check my medical credentials - they're the same as my cat - and she's stupid)

But I like Tom's call here: how old a 73-year old we have here? My inlaws are getting there and they're the biking-hiking-est people you'd meet... and what is insurance going to say. Both procedures are going to cost a ton. (even in co-pay)
I agree with everything said. In addition, is your father seeing a regular cardio or is he seeing an ep who specializes in rhythm problems? My ep  told me he's done ablations for people in their 90's.